• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Suit in the $300 - $400 range

peterparker20

Reaction score
Hello everyone--

I haven't purchased a suit in about 5 years --- and it's definitely time for a new one.

Why am I looking in the $300 - $400 range you might ask?

Well first, I just can't justify spending a ton of money on a suit, even if I can afford it.

Secondly, I used to get a lot of use out of suits ---- these days, I probably wear one maybe 6 times a year. No use in spending a lot on a component of your wardrobe that gets such little use.

I particularly am looking for a new suit for interview reasons --- so something navy or charcoal.

So far, I was looking at BB Suiting Essentials which doesn't seem to get a lot of love here. $450 after their promo --- and possibly free minor alterations.

Suit Supply is $450 ---- but they also nail you on alterations --- making the total price a little too much for me.

Other than that, I've noticed some 1818 BB suits in the classifieds for around $350 or so--- that would perfect --- the only problem is I don't see a solid color that is my size yet, at least in the slim cut Fitzgerald. And it looks like Steve Smith decided to take a vacation this week --- damn haha.

I did try the 1818 Fitzgerald on in the BB store --- I thought I would have a little too much pudge for the cut, but it actually fit perfectly. Like, damn good. I was almost tempted just to pay retail (would have been about $750) --- but I just can't justify spending that much --- for a suit that's not going to get much use.

Any other strategies I should try here? I'm trying to change careers here, and am already getting phone calls and interest my way --- I may need to have a suit, tailored, in as little as two weeks from today.

I can try Nordstrom Rack and Marshalls, as I've heard some people occasionally find gems there. Not sure if I will since I live in Yuppie Central.

peterparker20

Reaction score
What other places might I look at as well?

Should I look towards Jos a Bank and Joseph Abbound as well? They're comfortably in that range.

Locke42

Reaction score

Should I look towards Jos a Bank and Joseph Abbound as well? They're comfortably in that range.
I believe Indochino's Essential suits are within that range, too. Maybe on the high end of that price.

manchambo

Reaction score

I have had a lot of luck at Dillard's periodic sales. A few times a year they have a sale that's 50% off already reduced suits. Some of their stores have Hickey Freeman and some nice Cremieux suits that are made by Isaia. By shopping those sales religiously, I've been able to get two Mainline Hickey Freeman Suits that were $1500 for around $350 each, two of the Cremieux/Isaia suits for about the same price, and a handful of good to decent sport coats.

Magnanimist

Reaction score
Another option is to look for a good quality suit in your size on eBay. A few alterations and you're set. Some risk sure, but quality is worth the price.

However, if i were you, I'd go ahead and get the BB suit. It fits and the quality is sufficient.

If you go any cheaper, it will show.

Here's the question you need to ask yourself: what is the investment in my new career worth?

Hint: it's not "discount" or "on sale"

In other words: dress like you mean it.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could get a Ralph Lauren suit in that range at Macys

peterparker20

Reaction score
However, if i were you, I'd go ahead and get the BB suit. It fits and the quality is sufficient.

Here's the question you need to ask yourself: what is the investment in my new career worth?

Man ... you definitely are making me reconsider.

I may take another look at suit supply though as well.

EvilTuna7

Reaction score
Man ... you definitely are making me reconsider.

I may take another look at suit supply though as well.

It's absolutely worth investing a little extra into a good suit. If you get one that fits right and looks good on you, you'll probably end up wearing a suit more than you have in the past. Also, if you have a relatively normal body shape and find a suit that fits you well off the rack, alterations shouldn't be too costly.

Troilus

Reaction score

I particularly am looking for a new suit for interview reasons --- so something navy or charcoal.

There are a lot of options at pricepoint, and I would say if you're not employed yet, you shell out big bucks. You will not jeopardize your employment chances by limiting yourself to a suit that fits your budget.

So far, I was looking at BB Suiting Essentials which doesn't seem to get a lot of love here. $450 after their promo --- and possibly free minor alterations.

BB suiting is a fine entry-level staple, and the savings on alterations will make it equivalent to JAB or others you've mentioned. I still have one I wear for rainy days and flying.

Suit Supply is $450 ---- but they also nail you on alterations --- making the total price a little too much for me.

I think you can find Suit Supply for a bit cheaper, but that's what it'll come to all in.

Other than that, I've noticed some 1818 BB suits in the classifieds for around $350 or so--- that would perfect --- the only problem is I don't see a solid color that is my size yet, at least in the slim cut Fitzgerald. And it looks like Steve Smith decided to take a vacation this week --- damn haha.

As a repeat Steve Smith customer, I can say that's a very good option (although patience is needed, as you've seen. Given your time window, it may not be reasonable. Even if he was here, alterations take some time.

Any other strategies I should try here?

Benjamin Sartorial is another good option, if they have anything in that price range (they may have increased to about $500 a suit at this point). See eHaberdasher for their selection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads