• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best stretch slim-fit, straight leg jeans

boston

Reaction score
Hi:

Traditionally, I've worn levi 501s. Very traditional, slim fit, cheap, wear OK.

My current pair are falling to pieces and need to be replaced. I've also noticed that the seat gets stretched right out after I've been sitting for a while and then takes on this unpleasant baggy, nappy appearance.

I think that getting stretch jeans (2% lycra, 98% cotton) will fix this bagginess problem. I was wondering what forum members would recommend as the best stretch, slim-fit, straight leg jean out there. (And by slim I really do mean slim, slim at the seat and close through the thigh).

-boston

ps. i know boot cut are more popular these days, but I've tried them on and do not think they suit me.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Most jeans for men don't contain lycra. A couple years back they did that for about a season, then it kinda stopped. You can probably find some Sevens that fit the criteria you are looking for, but I would also say don't rule out women's jeans.

Dan

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

trogdor

Reaction score
I was wondering what forum members would recommend as the best stretch, slim-fit, straight leg jean out there. (And by slim I really do mean slim, slim at the seat and close through the thigh).
See if you can pick up a pair from Buffalo by David Bitton.

I bought a couple of pairs of them recently. They're quite slim-fitting, stright leg, and with the 2% Lycra you mention. They also have a pin tuck all the way down the front of the legs (which is kinda neat, rather than looking like I ironed a crease into them). All in all, I'm enjoying them immensely.

They're in the same price range as Levi's as well, so you needn't spend a fortune on them; I picked them up for around $60 CDN at Winners in Toronto.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Dior are tapered and last I checked they are 100% cotton..

I don't think any reputable companies make jeans with lycra in them. I would suggest getting jeans with higher quality denim than 501s. They will not stretch (as much).

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior are tapered and last I checked they are 100% cotton..
I have seen some that are also polyurethane coated
tounge.gif
I didn't know they were tapered, but given how slim they are, I don't think it makes any difference, does it ?
huh.gif
Luc

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ Mar. 21 2005,12:01) Dior are tapered and last I checked they are 100% cotton..
I have seen some that are also polyurethane coated
tounge.gif
I didn't know they were tapered, but given how slim they are, I don't think it makes any difference, does it ?
huh.gif
Luc
Yep, actually I am pretty certain that Helmut Lang was doing the coated jeans before Hedi Slimane was, though again, I'm not positive and no way am I checking my facts.
tounge.gif
Yea, Dior jeans are super tight, and they are meant to be worn either cuffed or all scrunched up at the bottoms; this effect would only be achievable if the jeans were tapered all the way to the bottom. It's way too much for me, but on some people it can look great. I'm trying to make it a habit of not judging every piece of clothing on terms of whether *I* would look good in it or not. Maybe one day I'll be admitting that sack suits can actually look okay.
sarcasm.gif

Oltmann

Reaction score
Jeans with a lower rise tend not to have this sag-ass problem because they tend to pull down rather than stretch out. May require some adjustment when you stand again though.
wink.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
Jeans with a lower rise tend not to have this sag-ass problem because they tend to pull down rather than stretch out. May require some adjustment when you stand again though.
wink.gif
This is precisely why Seven jeans make guys look like they're carrying around 10-lb hemroids. I hate it.

boston

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback guys.

I also found a couple of jeans at Diesel, but their sizing is crazy. Usually I wear 32x34, but with those guys I think I'll end up needing a 30 - or smaller (if they carry it).

-boston

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I don't think any reputable companies make jeans with lycra in them.
Having tried on a pair, I can say they feel awful. It's like you're wearing a really stiff pair of sweatpants. And they look weird when you move around. Don't buy them.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't have the greatest reputation on this board but my Hugo Boss Alabama cut jeans are really slim, have a great wash and can usually be had for next to nothing during sales.

You don't want jeans with Lyrca in them, Comrade Ken (Ken, I just listened to your song) is right they feel like really heavy and ill fitting sweatpants.

A.

Lydia

Reaction score
I wore a pair of my friend's girlfriend's jeans that had lycra once, and they were much more comfortable than men's jeans around the parts that only men have, even though the groin area was smaller.

The fit was also slimmer.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget stretch jeans. They look sort of wierd on a guy.

Excepting the stretch, the APC standard would probably fit your bill. Check them out at Stel's and tell them that Fok sent you. The old standard (if you can find them somewhere) have a higher rise, and are closer to the 501s. Thye are also reasonably priced. Helmut Lang also does a classic, straightleg fit (get the bootcut though, it is really a straightleg. The classic cut is rather tapered.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads