• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Strategy for Fitting Trousers--Big Butt, Small Waist

colton

Reaction score
I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't quite find it in the archives.

My problem is that when OTR trousers fit me in the waist, my larger-than-average butt causes the front to pull and opens the pockets. If I buy them to fit my butt, my belt crinkles the waist, and I end up with too much material around my thighs. Jeans aren't a problem, since the pockets don't pull and the fabric stretches, but I'm having a heck of a time finding trousers and chinos.

I've had the best luck buying the right size for my butt, and having the waist taken in (that usually means buying a 32x30), but I still end up with too much fabric around my thighs.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by colton
I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't quite find it in the archives.

My problem is that when OTR trousers fit me in the waist, my larger-than-average butt causes the front to pull and opens the pockets. If I buy them to fit my butt, my belt crinkles the waist, and I end up with too much material around my thighs. Jeans aren't a problem, since the pockets don't pull and the fabric stretches, but I'm having a heck of a time finding trousers and chinos.

I've had the best luck buying the right size for my butt, and having the waist taken in (that usually means buying a 32x30), but I still end up with too much fabric around my thighs.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

You can always taper the legs as well. I've had it done on many of my trousers and chinos.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty much what I do. Get the slimmest pants I can, and go 1 size up. They usually turns out ok.

colton

Reaction score
Trouble is, the leg opening is usually fine, being more a function of the trouser style. It's the area near the crotch that's too full. I think it's something programed into the basic OTR algorithm that 32x30=x amount of material near the crotch/thighs, while 30x30=less than x material. I need the butt of the former with the thighs of the latter.

Can a good tailor taper the thighs and not the rest? Seems complicated and expensive.

6stringsakc

Reaction score
We must be ass and thigh twins. My problem is the gap at the waistband when the hip area is cut too straight - what's the best solution for men with a round butt? Is there a way to taper/shape the waistband?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
isn't this why pleats were invented?

countrygent

Reaction score
Take a look at Howard Yount trousers - they are fairly slim through the thigh - or the Walt trousers from Epaulet, as they are even more slim. For both, you should be able to either size up and take in the waist or get your true waist size and let out the seat a bit.

Mac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

teacha.gif

Kwaker

Reaction score
Check out bonobos.com. They boast about a special cut that'll fit better than OTR pants.
I learned about them from GiltCity who is offering a $40 for $80 value voucher.

6stringsakc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

Is it possible to have a pleated trouser without a baggy thigh?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the matter, but if I understand it correctly, it's slim when it needs to be but then has the extra fabric in the pleats so as you move around instead of pulling fabric from the sides and back it just has the extra right there. pleats don't mean baggy per se, just flexibility in terms of roomyness.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just hate the look of pleats... but maybe I'm one of those guys that needs them in his trousers.

devo666

Reaction score
i have pretty much the same issue. one decent solution i've found is varvatos star usa dress pants in 32 waist and then i have a tailor take them down to 30 waist. they're fairly fitted through the leg, so you don't have the extra fabric in the thigh problem (at least, i don't). unfortunately, they can be pricey. they usually have a bunch on sale at the barney's warehouse sale in NYC if you're in that area.

any other good brands for this problem? small waist, large seat?

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've found that Howard Yount's cut will readily accommodate (and flatter) those whose waists are small but whose curves are kickin'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads