• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Sports Year Ever?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is 2008 the best sports year ever? So far, we've had the Giants ending the Patriots' perfect season in a great Super Bowl, Kansas beating Memphis in an OT thriller for the NCAA mens basketball championship, KG finally getting his ring, Tiger winning the U.S. Open on a bum leg, and Nadal outlasting Federer in the Wimbledon final in one of the greatest tennis matches ever. And we still haven't had the Olympics (Phelps breaks Spitz's record?) or the World Series (Cubs end 100-year curse?).

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the Cubs manage to win the World Series it will definitely go down as the best sports year, at least in my mind.

After a lifetime of disappointment, I fully expect an epic collapse at some point in the future.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Is 2008 the best sports year ever? So far, we've had the Giants ending the Patriots' perfect season in a great Super Bowl, Kansas beating Memphis in an OT thriller for the NCAA mens basketball championship, KG finally getting his ring, Tiger winning the U.S. Open on a bum leg, and Nadal outlasting Federer in the Wimbledon final in one of the greatest tennis matches ever. And we still haven't had the Olympics (Phelps breaks Spitz's record?) or the World Series (Cubs end 100-year curse?).

You didn't mention Utd winning the Champions League and Premier League double which eclipses any of the above acheivements with ease.
smile.gif

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would eclipse... if America cared.

dboll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
You didn't mention Utd winning the Champions League and Premier League double which eclipses any of the above acheivements with ease.
smile.gif

Pfft... I respect the double, but I don't think it was more exciting that the Giants v Patriots game. I'd probably see things more your way if my Gunners had pulled off the feat.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I said Tiger in the US Open. 1 guy against 155 of the best. Plays in obvious pain all week, but doesn't tell anyone how bad it is. Goes not the standard 72 holes but 91 to win in a playoff. Completes his third lifetime grand slam.

After the tournament folks find out the extent of his injuries: A torn ACL in the knee that takes all the torque of the golf swing and two stress fractures in his leg.

In 40 years, ESPN won't have a retrospective on any other events from this year, except for this one. It is, without question the most compelling drama of the year.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I said Tiger in the US Open. 1 guy against 155 of the best. Plays in obvious pain all week, but doesn't tell anyone how bad it is. Goes not the standard 72 holes but 91 to win in a playoff. Completes his third lifetime grand slam.

After the tournament folks find out the extent of his injuries: A torn ACL in the knee that takes all the torque of the golf swing and two stress fractures in his leg.

In 40 years, ESPN won't have a retrospective on any other events from this year, except for this one. It is, without question the most compelling drama of the year.

I disagree with your last statement, I think the Giants and Patriots was a game that will certainly go down in history. However I did vote for Tiger, since he made some many remarkable shots that weekend and the finish was so dramatic.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Joba Chamberlain to the rotation
smile.gif
Fresno St CWS champs deserves to be on the list. I actually think in 40 years, the Giants - Pats SB and Nadal - Federer are both going to get more airtime than Tiger's run, if only because their sports are better packaged for highlight reels. I voted for the SB because of the likelihood that Wimbledon isn't going to be a turning point--those guys are going to be going strong against one another for a while.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
I actually think in 40 years, the Giants - Pats SB and Nadal - Federer are both going to get more airtime than Tiger's run
Agreed. Giants-Pats will get good airtime in the US. Utd will get moderate airtime in Europe, and I doubt anybody will care to remember the 2008 football Euro Championship. Nadal-Federer will get good airtime all over the world, US included. Tiger's run will probably just be included as an important in retrospectives on his carrier.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other = Spain win the Euros.

Hat tip to Nadal-Federer, but tennis is secondary to football for me.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Giants!

Tourangh

Reaction score
I voted for the SuperBowl game. I thought that the NCAA championship was a close second but it seems nobody even voted for it. third for me would be a toss up between nadal vs Federer and Tiger Woods.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Other.

Another Spanaird wins the TdF, no apparent dynasty in the making (remember, we went from Big Mig to Lance in short order).

I'm still meh about cycling, for many reasons, but IMO, it is still the greatest sport event held every year.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a lifelong Giants fan, this was the greatest sports year for me.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
Other = Spain win the Euros.

Hat tip to Nadal-Federer, but tennis is secondary to football for me.

+1

Lots of reasons to vote for this one: the years of futility in major tournaments despite having some of the best players around; the style with which Spain played and won; finally knocking off the anti-football team (Italy) that had been their nemesis; the overall excitement of the tournament...it was a beautiful few weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads