1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Speaker Cables?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by kronik, Nov 28, 2008.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

When do the penises and tape measures come out?

When you least expect it.

--Andre

2. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

When you least expect it.

--Andre

You've done time too?

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

You've done time too?

Slanderforum is a harsh mistress.

--Andre

4. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

I just browsed through the 18 pages, because it was referred to in another thread. What a ride. I learned a few things (seriously -- thanks to the key participants), comtemplated, laughed, cried.

Ok, now back to the swordfight....

5. SField

SField Senior member

When do the penises and tape measures come out?

Idiot, we already did that like 2 days ago in the ivy league thread. Where the fuck were you and your dick?

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Idiot, we already did that like 2 days ago in the ivy league thread. Where the fuck were you and your dick?
    I'm a product of the public university system. I don't even read things having to do with you over edumacated fucks.

7. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

I'm a product of the public university system. I don't even read things having to do with you over edumacated fucks.

Typical dystopian perspective...

8. SField

SField Senior member

YAY my penis is bigger!!! Or wait, did you go to UC Berkeley? Shit son, that's like rich white kids pretending they're black. Doesn't count.

9. ms244

ms244 Senior member

I'd like to mention that, as a degreed engineer, I am surprised that more audiophiles don't electrocute themselves. Especially given the half assed technical explanations given by the makers of the above said AC power cables.

Some people should read up on wikipedea what AC power, DACs, filters, shielding, and composition of copper and specifically what a dielectric is (and specifically the dielectric constant and what its used for and how its measured).

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Can someone just put Artisan Fan up to a double blind listening test and record it for Youtube? It should only take about 10 minutes. Someone in Atlanta?

I guess that would require the someone to know what the fuck a double blind listenting test is?

Rules me out, I think the sound from my circa 1986 Sony ghetto blaster is fantastic..

11. unpainted huffheinz

unpainted huffheinz Senior member

I'd like to mention that, as a degreed engineer, I am surprised that more audiophiles don't electrocute themselves. Especially given the half assed technical explanations given by the makers of the above said AC power cables.

Some people should read up on wikipedea what AC power, DACs, filters, shielding, and composition of copper and specifically what a dielectric is (and specifically the dielectric constant and what its used for and how its measured).

But actually knowing how things work means you can't use your ears!

12. ms244

ms244 Senior member

But actually knowing how things work means you can't use your ears!

Your wallet will thank you for it. [​IMG]

On a side note, about expensive cables. Lots of industrial and scientific equipment requires their own cables (ex. PLC controllers). These are usually normal cables but with some proprietary connectors which can only be obtained from the manufacturer giving them a reason to rip you off some more.

13. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

I admit I was using the crappiest speaker wire you could imagine. I changed it out last week for some cheap but better 14 gauge wire. Sounds alot better.

I think once I get my system all setup I am gonna measure and figureout what I need and order from the Blue jean place mentioned in the begining. Get custom lengths so I don't have wires hanging everywhere.

14. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I admit I was using the crappiest speaker wire you could imagine. I changed it out last week for some cheap but better 14 gauge wire. Sounds alot better.

I think once I get my system all setup I am gonna measure and figureout what I need and order from the Blue jean place mentioned in the begining. Get custom lengths so I don't have wires hanging everywhere.

Blue Jeans is good stuff no doubt, good value for the money, but I have found there are better cables out there.

Use quality interconnects as well.

15. kronik

kronik Senior member

Just bought some Dynaudio Confidence and it reminded me of this thread. :embar:

16. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

I like Virtual Dynamics cables and power cords (sadly, the company is now defunct). They were terribly overpriced. Built like hoses. Speaker cables be damned, but the power cords made all the difference in tightening the bass on my Conrad Johnson/Proac D25's/ MF CDP system

17. username79

username79 Senior member

I bought some Nordost Flatline speaker cable off of eBay. I don't "believe" in cables but do believe in looks (or lack thereof, I don't want to see cables) and quality of termination. They were cheap, construction seems to be of high quality and their color disappears nicely against my wood floor. Nearly invisible :slayer:

18. Chuck Daly

Chuck Daly New Member

You make a great point. This is a hobby, and aesthetics should play a role. I am part owner of a hifi shop in Rhode Island and I never push expensive cables, but it not right for me to poo poo on someones desire to own expensive cables with pretty connectors.