• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best small timer shopping in NYC?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I am visiting NYC at the end of the month, I would enjoy doing a bit of shopping. I am sort of a small timer with $2k being the most I spend on a suit and $400 my top end for shoes, but most of my stuff is about half that or less (thank you B & S).

What are the places I have to hit, most likely for Shoes, Ties, Dress Shirts maybe a watch.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could try Century 21, but you'll have better luck looking for sales. Century is a little crazy, and I don't even want to think about that place around the holidays, and their stuff tends to be the stuff that shops can't sell...take that for what its worth.

What specifically are you looking for? I'm in NY and pretty much at your spending level. You could get some custom shirts done while your here.

mic

Reaction score
Being a total and complete small timer, I go to Uniqlo on Broadway for button-down shirts... at $30 they fit ridiculously well... well enough that, braving the crowds, I run in, grab a size S, and dash to the cash registers.

bandrus1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I am visiting NYC at the end of the month, I would enjoy doing a bit of shopping. I am sort of a small timer with $2k being the most I spend on a suit and $400 my top end for shoes, but most of my stuff is about half that or less (thank you B & S).

What are the places I have to hit, most likely for Shoes, Ties, Dress Shirts maybe a watch.

I would not consider that much of a small timer

I fond century 21 fun.. I love the hunt

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Century 21 does have its moments. If you can make it out to Jersey there are a few good locations out there plus Daffy's, Filene's Basement, etc. that CAN have good selections for steep discount and no sales tax. Paramus comes to mind.

Filene's in the city will sometimes have amazing stuff, like Kiton/Brioni/Borrelli, etc., but it's often hit or miss with all of these discount stores.

I guess it really depends on what specifically you're looking for and what will happen to be in stock at the time you're there.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
You could try Century 21, but you'll have better luck looking for sales. Century is a little crazy, and I don't even want to think about that place around the holidays, and their stuff tends to be the stuff that shops can't sell...take that for what its worth.

What specifically are you looking for? I'm in NY and pretty much at your spending level. You could get some custom shirts done while your here.

I would go for a sports jacket, sweaters, ties, shoes, leather goods, I could use some nice jeans (I am not sure what that is, I have worn 501's for 25 years, but I could use an upgrade)

I am always up for dress shirts, but with only 2 days in town MTM is not an option.

I don't really "need" anything, so it more about finding something and then needing it.

Originally Posted by bandrus1
I would not consider that much of a small timer

I fond century 21 fun.. I love the hunt

Okay medium timer - I am not after $1K shoes or $5K bespoke.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Century 21 does have its moments. If you can make it out to Jersey there are a few good locations out there plus Daffy's, Filene's Basement, etc. that CAN have good selections for steep discount and no sales tax. Paramus comes to mind.

Filene's in the city will sometimes have amazing stuff, like Kiton/Brioni/Borrelli, etc., but it's often hit or miss with all of these discount stores.

I guess it really depends on what specifically you're looking for and what will happen to be in stock at the time you're there.

Not likely that I will get out to NJ. I only have two days/night in NYC and my wife has never been before, so we have allot to pack in.

I am boston the on this trip too, last time I was there Filene's was worth a visit.

was385

Reaction score
Hit soho. Uniqlo is an experience, daffy's, century 21 if you're fine with hunting through stuff. And just walking around soho is always fun.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barney's is a must-see...........plus, their sale just started 2 days ago.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Century 21 (before noon to avoid the crowds), Filene's, and Nordstrom Rack are generally good places. Depending on your style Sym's might be a place to see (tends to be pretty conservative stuff although I've walked out with great outerwears and shoes before).

Good luck with hunting!

was385

Reaction score
As for jeans blue in green and the A.P.C store are great places to stop in down in Soho. Picked up a pair of A.P.Cs about a month ago and I love them.

JG000

Reaction score
Let me echo the C21 recommendations.

I've also read solid reviews for Daffy's. And of course, Uniqlo.

With you're budget I'm sure you could do alright at BB, RL and any number of modestly upscale men's stores.

There are plenty of options. You are in NYC, don't forget.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Im not sure that $2K for a suit and $400 for shoes would be considered small timer.

This is not my average price, but my top end I will spend. I much more likely to get a $2K piece for $500 of the buy and sell, though I do have a few suits I paid $2K for

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads