• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Slim Fit Suit For Under $260?

nbmplano

Reaction score
Hey SF'ers; wondering what peoples opinions are as far as the best slim fit suit for under $260 (preferably near the $200 range.) I am looking for something that I can wear a few times a year, but not worried about it lasting for more than 5 or so years. I have been looking at the Alfani Red Label suits at Macy's (they are having a one day sale tom. and they have some for $200, but I don't like the way the shoulders are constructed (a little bulky), but do like the fit. Zara has some for $280 or so, but not sure if I want to spend this on a Zara suit. FYI- no h&m around me so that's out. Also looking for something preferably store bought so I can try it on, as I am in between a 38R and 40R.

Suggestions?

Must be:

38R or 40R
2 button
slim fit
would like it to be double vented
gray or blue in color and can be pin striped or solid (pattern doesn't bother me as long as its not black.)
Flat front slacks

Thanks for any and all help!
smile.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll share my own experience on this topic...

I've been trying to find a perfect suit for under $200. By perfect, I mean perfect fit after tailoring. I've tried numerous suits from virtually all low-end stores and Nordstrom Rack. While almost every suit I tried fit me well in the shoulders, there was something inherently wrong with it that made me return it. Most commonly, there was extra material on the back that "wrinkled" near the shoulders, because (as I see it) the slope of my shoulders was different from the padding of the suit. I've gotten lucky once with a linen suit from H&M, which was $15 off too, so I kept that one. However, it took me many-many returns before I found it. Mind you, I have a pretty standard body type. I'm slim, 5'10", 165-170 lbs. So, a standard slim-fit 38R.

I've gotten a zegna sport coat from the buy and sell forum here based solely on the measurements the seller provided and it's an amazing fit. I think I've gotten very-very lucky.

So what's my advice to you? Spend the whole day trying on suits at all the stores you can find, get the best fitting jacket you can find, take its measurements like this:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/t...easurement.htm

And then buy a high-end suit on ebay or from B&S here.

Or maybe you'll get lucky and find something off the rack that will suit your needs.

As far as what stores to try, I'm not sure what you have around your area. If it were L.A. I could give you some advice.

nbmplano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I'll share my own experience on this topic... I've been trying to find a perfect suit for under $200. By perfect, I mean perfect fit after tailoring. I've tried numerous suits from virtually all low-end stores and Nordstrom Rack. While almost every suit I tried fit me well in the shoulders, there was something inherently wrong with it that made me return it. Most commonly, there was extra material on the back that "wrinkled" near the shoulders, because (as I see it) the slope of my shoulders was different from the padding of the suit. I've gotten lucky once with a linen suit from H&M, which was $15 off too, so I kept that one. However, it took me many-many returns before I found it. Mind you, I have a pretty standard body type. I'm slim, 5'10", 165-170 lbs. So, a standard slim-fit 38R. I've gotten a zegna sport coat from the buy and sell forum here based solely on the measurements the seller provided and it's an amazing fit. I think I've gotten very-very lucky. So what's my advice to you? Spend the whole day trying on suits at all the stores you can find, get the best fitting jacket you can find, take its measurements like this: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/t...easurement.htm And then buy a high-end suit on ebay or from B&S here. Or maybe you'll get lucky and find something off the rack that will suit your needs. As far as what stores to try, I'm not sure what you have around your area. If it were L.A. I could give you some advice.
Thanks for the help! I probably do need to spend some time trying on a bunch of suits and finding the best fit, but even if I find something I like in the stores, there is no promises of me finding the same one online. I have a similar problem to yours as I have somewhat of a slight slouching posture, and it feels like the back of the shoulders bunch up when I cross my arms, or lift my arms. I have most every store in Dallas that I can think of, except for H&M and Uniqlo. This includes Nordstrom Rack, Last Call, Saks Off Fifth, etc. as well as most of the mall retailers.

dfischer1

Reaction score
First things first: The things that cover your legs are not slacks, they are trousers. They are only called slacks if they are made by Haagar or out of polyester.

That said, is there a Benetton or Sisley near you? Otherwise, try Bluefly or other online retailers.

DF

nbmplano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dfischer1
First things first: The things that cover your legs are not slacks, they are trousers. They are only called slacks if they are made by Haagar or out of polyester.

That said, is there a Benetton or Sisley near you? Otherwise, try Bluefly or other online retailers.

DF

My apologies on calling trousers slacks.

There is a Benetton, no Sisley. I will check out Benetton as well.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely try one of those stores. I suggest that if you find something that fits and, say, it costs $400 instead of $200, you should still buy it, unless you have starving children or something...

Just make sure you know what to look for in a jacket fit. And take someone you trust with you, because you won't be able to easily judge the fit of the jacket on your back by yourself.

Also, don't trust the salespeople. They all seems to know what they're talking about, but their ideas usually collide with mine. Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that after trying a bunch of suits on, you will know what you want from your suits. Not what someone else thinks is right, not what the people on SF think is right, but what you are going to feel comfortable with. It takes time though. Just like with everything else in life.
teacha.gif

nbmplano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Yes, definitely try one of those stores. I suggest that if you find something that fits and, say, it costs $400 instead of $200, you should still buy it, unless you have starving children or something...

Just make sure you know what to look for in a jacket fit. And take someone you trust with you, because you won't be able to easily judge the fit of the jacket on your back by yourself.

Also, don't trust the salespeople. They all seems to know what they're talking about, but their ideas usually collide with mine. Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that after trying a bunch of suits on, you will know what you want from your suits. Not what someone else thinks is right, not what the people on SF think is right, but what you are going to feel comfortable with. It takes time though. Just like with everything else in life.
teacha.gif

Agreed. I don't take a sales persons word for anything (typically.) I know what I am looking for in general, and should be able to judge by myself if the suit is what I am seeking. I am not going to let some pushy sales person persuade me otherwise (especially noticeable at the Benetton store near me.)
lol8[1].gif

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should consider raising your budget to $270, at which point your options really start to open up.

nbmplano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
You should consider raising your budget to $270, at which point your options really start to open up.

I can go to $268, unfortunately not any higher.
frown.gif

Grenadier

Reaction score
I'm quite a fan of TM Lewin's Suits. You might want to get the waist taken in a bit, but on the whole they are quite slim-fitting and well-made. There's always a 10% off coupon running around.

www.tmlewin.co.uk

hpandd66

Reaction score
i will try top shop for slim fit suit with this price range

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to NYC or know someone there? Get a Uniqlo suit. They're not great quality, but they fit really nice and slim. One of the only jackets I've ever bought that needed absolutely no alterations. Plus for the price you can wear it anywhere (bars, etc) and not worry about getting it dirty. The J+ is slightly better fabric and would probably be worth it. 100 for wool jackets (150 for J+). 50-80 or 90 for trousers.

lilmann40

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Going to NYC or know someone there? Get a Uniqlo suit. They're not great quality, but they fit really nice and slim. One of the only jackets I've ever bought that needed absolutely no alterations. Plus for the price you can wear it anywhere (bars, etc) and not worry about getting it dirty. The J+ is slightly better fabric and would probably be worth it. 100 for wool jackets (150 for J+). 50-80 or 90 for trousers.

aren't their suits comparable to H&M/Zara? Quality, fit, and price wise...?

And you can order via phone from Uniqlo.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not used?
You can get used RLBL suits for less than $200.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads