• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Slim Fit Shirts

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
I've always been very happy with the TM Lewin tailored fit. I'm very thin in the waist and they sit pretty well; when I'v got the money I'll go Turnbull & Asser MTM but right now Lewin does the job perfectly

Lucan

Reaction score
I'm a runner (or on the run?), and have a 40" chest and 32" waist. I've had lots of TM Lewin slim fits and they fit me well, but they're not the best quality cotton in the world. Some are good, but some go thin quickly, and some are a battle to iron.

I've recently given Harvie and Hudson a whirl and they are a similarly great fit, but the cotton on the first shirt I got was a lot better than Lewin's. I'm waiting for an order of three to arrive now, so hopefully they'll be the same.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers online has some discounted offers that looks pretty reasonable for slim fitted shirts, I do prefer RLBL or simply have it custom made.

Dameon Bryant

Reaction score
I'm the exact same size as you. I've found Armani Exchange slim fits shirts fit like a glove and are made of a soft flexible material.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM is really your best option. Modern Tailor has shirts for less than $50. Your first shirt is $29.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt tailored fit / extra slim fit shirts are pretty decent and you can usually pick up some in the $40-$50 range (I'd order up a half size on the neck measurement as the collar does tend to shrink in my experience). Are they the best shirts in the world? No. My shirts from www.mytailor.com and CEGO are definitely nicer. For the price, however, they provide a perfectly respectable shirt. I currently have about 20 of the Tyrwhitt's, 5 from www.mytailor.com and 3 from CEGO (I need to go back when I'm in NY). I'm typically a 38-39 jacket and 32 waist as well. I'd avoid both the regular fit and slim fit from Tyrwhitt, however, as those will be way too big.

biged781

Reaction score
I beg to differ. I have a ~39" chest and 33 inch waist

RLBL and Turnbull & Asser slim fit are pretty good OTR, but I agree with just getting a shirt which fits your neck, shoulders and sleeves and darting it.

It's not about how you *look*, it's a matter of proportions. You have narrow shoulders, how cut your abs are is irrelevant. Different context. A 6" drop is not large.

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Okay, go try RLBL tailored fit dress shirt. That did it for me. I am 6' and 165 lbs. Nothing else would do.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not about how you *look*, it's a matter of proportions.  You have narrow shoulders, how cut your abs are is irrelevant.  Different context.  A 6" drop is not large.

this is the case. 38" chest is tiny. Nevertheless RLBL should fit you pretty well. Band of Outsiders would be decent too, although they may not make very dressy shirts.

Last edited:

Blk Belt Shoper

Reaction score
I for one, don't want to make an investment into my wardrobe, I don't have that kinda money.

I've had great success with the Apt 9 slim fit and Marc Anthony slim fit dress shirts with Kohl's. Great shirts with nice discounts!

bartleby929

Reaction score
easy answer: brooks brothers black fleece shirts. the best. (if there's better, please tell me so i can stop hunting for these)

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

easy answer: brooks brothers black fleece shirts. the best. (if there's better, please tell me so i can stop hunting for these)

Thom Browne is cut better and uses better fabrics

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

bartleby929

Reaction score
is thom brown comprable in price though? and wow i'm surprised to hear that your black fleece shirts are looser fitting. i thought their whole M.O. was slimmer than extra slim fit

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is thom brown comprable in price though? and wow i'm surprised to hear that your black fleece shirts are looser fitting. i thought their whole M.O. was slimmer than extra slim fit

Full range of shirts are always on sale at Barneys, BG, thom Browne stores, yoox. eBay had quite a few too.

And yeah bbbf isn't all that slim

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics