• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best slim button down shirts?

bugatti.veyron

Reaction score
I'm looking for some simple, slim, BD shirts (solid light blue, white, light pink, etc.), but it seems that better brands like Barba Napoli or Finamore make mostly spread collars, or button downs that are way too colorful/casual.

What are some other good brands that have slim button downs?

southbound35

Reaction score
Bugatti,

Since you are a relatively new poster on this forum, I have no reason to expect you to know the ins and outs of the board (I've been lurking and occasionally posting for a few years and still don't know most of them). But, you're asking very basic questions that have been answered numerous times before. In addition to the search function, you might want to ask some of your questions on the "quick question" thread. That way, you're at least getting a bit of interaction (which is what message boards are for) without getting the natives restless by starting threads with questions that come up on a weekly basis.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=79716

If you don't get sufficient response there, and after doing a forum search, then open your question to rest of the forum. The best bet is to add your question to an existing thread on that subject. People who have interest/knowledge about slim button down shirts (or whatever subject you want to ask about) are more likely to open a thread with pages of previous discussion than to open a brand new thread started by a new poster with 45 posts.

I hope I wasn't too hard-line with the above. But, I wanted to show you the lay of the land before someone really blew up on you.

bugatti.veyron

Reaction score
search function is your friend
Bugatti, Since you are a relatively new poster on this forum, I have no reason to expect you to know the ins and outs of the board (I've been lurking and occasionally posting for a few years and still don't know most of them). But, you're asking very basic questions that have been answered numerous times before. In addition to the search function, you might want to ask some of your questions on the "quick question" thread. That way, you're at least getting a bit of interaction (which is what message boards are for) without getting the natives restless by starting threads with questions that come up on a weekly basis. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=79716 If you don't get sufficient response there, and after doing a forum search, then open your question to rest of the forum. The best bet is to add your question to an existing thread on that subject. People who have interest/knowledge about slim button down shirts (or whatever subject you want to ask about) are more likely to open a thread with pages of previous discussion than to open a brand new thread started by a new poster with 45 posts. I hope I wasn't too hard-line with the above. But, I wanted to show you the lay of the land before someone really blew up on you.
wow...believe it or not, I've read through at least 50% of the 100+ page definitive guide to slim fit shirt thread. The problem is, most of the suggestions there seem to be for slim fitting DRESS shirts, not button downs. For instance, I could not find any RLBL button downs, nor Hugo boss red label's button down. The Barba napoli/Finamore shirts I've seen have all been spread collars or button downs that weren't slim. Haven't really looked into H&M/Zara since I'd prefer something of higher quality. Thomas pink has no slim fit button downs. Charles tyrwhitt's button downs are all regular fit. Only BB seems to have a decent selection of slim fit button down shirts I've tried to do my research, and I would consider myself pretty good at using the search function, but I was not able to find any good answers to this question

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern Tailor could work. Or any other MTM service.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Brooks Brothers extra slim fit.

And, to be fair to Bugatti, the guided to slim fit shirts thread is useless and unreadable and should be unpinned.

+1000. Big fan of BB stuff. Especially on sale. Great value

mic

Reaction score
And, to be fair to Bugatti, the guided to slim fit shirts thread is useless and unreadable and should be unpinned.

+1

I tried reading it once, but life's too short.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
+1

I tried reading it once, but life's too short.

+10. I don't know why some poeple point to that thread... you have to read for 3 hours just to find out what you might even remotely want to know.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers extra slim fit.

+1 to all of the above.

BB XSF shirts are great. They've got a new line of basic button-downs in all the staple colors: blue, pink, white, ecru, yellow, etc. Not terribly expensive, either. I recommend them for stocking up on basics.

And the "Definitive Guide to Slim Fitting Shirts" is neither definitive nor a guide. It's a collection of random posts. I'd much prefer a curated, single-authored guide -- or at least single-voiced, Wiki-style entry -- than an unwieldy thread that nobody has time to search or sort through. I do not blame the OP one bit there.

JGloger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atila
buy any shirt you like and spend $20-$50 to get it tailored perfectly to your body.

+1

I finally found a good tailor in my area and it makes a world of difference.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
+10. I don't know why some poeple point to that thread... you have to read for 3 hours just to find out what you might even remotely want to know.

I guess a good solution to that is to start another thread.
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads