• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best slacks for a Business-casual wardrobe?

mark755

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just got a new job at an office with a business-casual dress code. My previous job was at a very conservative firm and my current work wardrobe consists of blue and gray wool suits (hey, I'm a CPA!
. I'm in the process of gathering a new wardrobe and would appreciate any advice that might help. My priorities are comfort, appearance, ease of maintenance (I travel a lot) and durability. I'm also going for a look that's a bit less conservative, but not flashy.

I've been using my wool, lined suit pants so far and these are the most comfortable pants I have. I was planning to buy several more pairs of suit pants, or dress slacks. Is pleated still in, or is flat front more in fashion (pleated is more comfortable). Is 100% wool the way to go, or perhaps a wool blend, or even a poly blend? There are some nice slacks in polyester/rayon, but I'm wondering if these would be uncomfortable or less durable. What about washable wool? How does it compare to regular (dry clean only) wool?

I live in So Cal, so would a lightweight wool be best, or perhaps a midweight would drape better? What type of wool - Merino? Gabardine?

I don't really like cotton twill pants (like khakis) for work, but are there any khaki style pants that look a bit more formal, are wrinkle resistant and look good after machine washing?

Possible online sources so far are Nordstrom, Lands End, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, etc. Any other I should check out, please let me know.

Thanks.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Brooks Brothers dress trousers frequently, two or three times a week. They have a pretty wide selection of colors in a pretty wide selection of fabrics, so you should be able to find something that you'll like. I just bought a pair of light gray trousers, I'm thinking from the Golden Fleece line, that I really enjoy.

I have to admit, I can get into high end shoes, shirts, and suits, but odd trousers don't interest me enough to spend big money on them.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

You can add L.L. Bean to the list, but don't expect cotton pants (dress chinos) to look as nice as wool pants. Please avoid wool that is washable or blended with much polyester. Lightweight wool might not last as long as midweight wool.

Pleats aren't "in" for young men, but if you prefer them and your co-workers are wearing them, there's no reason not to wear them at work.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 140 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 263 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 16.0%
  • 31 - 40