1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by ruzzi, Apr 16, 2012.

Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?

1. Sopranos

12 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. The Wire

56 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Mad Men

11 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Breaking Bad

33 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Firefly was great. Probably had the most charm of any show I've seen. Hated to see it go. And yeah, what was up with airing episode 2 before 1?

At least Whedon finished the story with Serenity.

I still get chapped looking back and remembering we were left hanging with both Deadwood and Carnivale. Even though I loved Carnivale I can see, since the eps cost so much to shoot, but just cancelling Deadwood out of the blue was really stupid. The story was really gearing up and the show was gaining momentum with fans. Then right before the big fight between Swearengen and Hearst, boom, canned. So lame.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

On the same note, I felt Luck on HBO was developing legs. I know it didnt get a lot of fanfare, but I actually thought it was a very good show.

3. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

The best television show of all-time is The Wire.

Breaking Bad is good but the story is much smaller in scope and scale. It is an extremely well-executed show but relies too much on the two main characters; a show equivalent to a "power-trio."

In comparison, The Wire is a full blown orchestra. It intricately weaves numerous societal factors and different groups (drug dealers, junkies, police, politicians, journalists, dock workers, etc...) to show how they all contribute to the death of a city.

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

Never heard of it. I was so butthurt over DW getting cancelled, I cancelled my entire cable package back then. I'm a streamer now. (Don't ask how I see GoT heh)

5. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

On the other hand, it was also breaking legs.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Even if you don't like the Wire, you have to admire its ambition and the way it creates this huge world that has so many facets. And then to fill it with all of these great characters who have their own internal lives and stories is just a remarkable accomplishment.

Plus, it's more a TV show than any of the others. The others are more cinematic. All of them would work as a movie. But the Wire only works on TV, which is cool. It means it's using the advantages of its medium to full effect.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

:rimshot:

8. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Completely disagree with this. They are all on this list exactly because they utilize the medium effectively, particularly the protracted nature of TV for character development. If anything, I'd argue that The Wire is less of a TV show because of it's huge multi faceted world (not that it's a bad thing, I love The Wire). One could very easily jump into stand alone or single episodes of the other shows and appreciate them on some level, while the Wire really requires complete viewing for appreciation (of at least a complete season), much like a movie requires complete viewing to appreciate it.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  9. alan

alan Senior member

The Wire.

Second for me would have to be The Shield :embar: i loved that show

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

FYI you Wire fans would probably love Oz too, if you can look past all the dongs

11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i was told to watch that show, taht its really good. what is the dongs in oz to boobs in GoT ratio, just so im prepared.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Like a dozen dicks for every titty.

13. Matt

Matt Senior member

kinda like Styleforum...

14. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

:fu:

inb4 fixed to :drool:

:lol:

15. RossPirelli

RossPirelli Member

I would have to go with The Wire.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Best anime TV show ever is without a doubt "Death Note"

[​IMG]

17. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Just finished Breaking Bad season 3. Holy cow what a season of television that was.

18. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Best season, although Season 4 is no slouch.

19. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Saul, Gus, and the old "fixer" dude are one hell of a trio of supporting characters.

1 person likes this.
  20. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Bob Odenkirk kills it as Saul. And yeah, I think bringing in those characters are what took the show from being a good show to a great one.

1 person likes this.