1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best shoe polish?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fashionslave, Oct 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

I've had good results with Apple Brand Leather Care. Very similar to Coach leather moisturizer, both are light formulas that are good pre polishing. For leather that needs serious help I use either Montana Pitch-Blend (Blend of pine pitch, mink oil, and beeswax). This will slightly darken leather but it's great for restoring suppleness and water repellency. Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP is similar and equally excellent. Montana and Obenauf's are also great for luggage restoration.

2. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

People love to slam Kiwi, but seriously, has anyone had any personal experience indicating Kiwi is in any way harmful to leather?? I've been using it on all my shoes for over 5 years now, and it has not dried the leather even the slightest. I know of at least two very high-end shoe companies that use Kiwi to finish their shoes as well.

I've also tried Lincoln, which is excellent polish. I use Meltonian for creams, and Allen Edmonds conditioner/cleaner.

3. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior member

so is the "parade gloss" any worse on the shoes (in terms of breathability) than the regular kiwi? also, i have been using just polish on my shoes and they do dry out over time so i'd say cream from time to time is good.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

my guess (with no empirical support) would be yes. Parade Gloss has silicone in it (which improves apparent shine and waterproofing), and silicone oils can prevent leather from absorbing other emollients. I think that Parade Gloss is really intended for use on military boots or other silicone-treated leathers, not for the types of leather used in better dress shoes.

6. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior member

that is what i think too.

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Any thoughts on the Allen Edmonds "Premium" polish in the tube? I have some in black that puts on quite a nice shine.

8. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

OK - so I keep hearing all these good things about Saphir, and their Medaille d'Or paste wax in particular. Now, after a few calls, it seems as if I am importing it directly from the factory- and maybe in a big way. At the very least, for stock in my stores and on the web. Very, very nice people at the factory Avel. Anyway, what is the cleaner/conditioner that I have read is well thought of? Is it the 'Renovateur' or the 'Lotion Medaille d'Or' or the 'Baume Special Formula'? Just curious, and if anyone want's to reserve some of the Polish, let me know so I can add to my stock orders. http://www.avel.es/# Also, I love this beeswax emulsion....very good cleaner/polisher/conditioner. Have a large amount of product on the way. http://www.nubian1880.it/english/chi_siamo.html

9. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Rider, that's great. As long as the polish doesn't cost as much as shoes, I'll certainly order.

10. dik_tat

dik_tat Member

When you purchase Silvano Lattanzi shoes at Louis Boston they give you Kiwi shoe polish with a Lattanzi label affixed.

11. ord

ord Active Member

A few days ago at Bed, Bath & Beyond, I picked up a tin of Kiwi Select Premium.  The tin is black and silver, and according to the copy on the back, it "contains a fine blend of premium waxes."  It was $2.99, a little more than the regular Kiwi polish goes for at the drugstore.  I suspect that really isn't much difference between the two, perhaps just a slightly different formulation, but does anyone know for sure?

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just been last week to the new Edward Green factory in Northampton.

Obviously EG shoes are famous for their antique finish, when trough heat and various polishes they achieve those subtle color-variations.

What does EG use to do this delicate work? Some polish that old Mr Green had invented a hundred years ago and whose hand-written formula is even more highly treasured than the Coca Cola one (no two EG executives ever allowed in the same plane)? Is it EG's "Old Cobbler" polish, sold at premium prices in the shop?

No. It's good old-fashioned and cheap Kiwi.  All the finishing benches and the supply shelves are covered in tins and tins of Kiwi. They must go through the stuff by the container load.

13. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

LOL, it's the same thing with Vass, and Lattanzi, and probably just about every other shoemaker. That's why I always laugh when people knock Kiwi  [​IMG] If it's good enough for them it's good enough for me...

14. DSM

DSM Active Member

In asking Tony G. at EG what he would recommend that I use on my bespoke shoes he made, he said to use Kiwi.

15. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

16. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Rider, the one that I have been using and having excellent results with is the Saphir Creme Universelle Leather Balm. If you look at the J.M Weston mini movie on shoe polishing, that is the same bottle.

17. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Ahh, thanks. This must be from the Saphir line, not Medaille d'Or...it does not appear on the product list from the factory, but I have not received the Saphir list, as we have been talking Medaille d'Or to this point...

18. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

A local shoe guy (heartily endorsed by Mr. Drinkwater, FWIW) says no polish at all. Just Meltonian cream. Says that wax polish dries out shoes and causes cracking.

That strikes me as a little extreme, especially since colored cream gets rid of the depth of color that EGs are especially known for. But for brown pebble finish, focusing mostly on neutral moisturizer seems a reasonable strategy. And black cream gets one the same color of black that polish would--- just less glossy.

Given the input of the guys who make the shoes, I think that liberal baths of Meltonian (neutral in the case of nicer brown shoes) punctuating the more regular application of Kiwi is the way to go.

Green and Cleverley both recommend Kiwi. The plain stuff, not "parade ground" or similar fancy formulas.

19. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

the one that I have been using and having excellent results with is the Saphir Creme Universelle Leather Balm
    Ahh, thanks. Â This must be from the Saphir line, not Medaille d'Or...it does not appear on the product list from the factory, but I have not received the Saphir list, as we have been talking Medaille d'Or to this point...
    Rider, having used both the Medaille d'Or and the regular line, I find there to be minimal difference between their creams. The Gold medal polishes are a bit better. The main problem with the Gold medal lines is that the limited selection of colours available. As for the Medaille d'Or "Renovateur" it is a bit greasy... it has mink oil. The Creme Universelle is much much better.

20. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

Cream or polish? Which is preferable?