• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best ****** Fabric for a Tailored Suit

cxeq

Reaction score
I am having a suit tailored with a custom printed design on it by a cheap tailor near where I live (Thailand). Here are the fabrics offered. They aren't meant for making a suit.

http://www.spoonflower.com/spoonflower_fabrics

What is the best one of these ****** fabrics to use?

I know this is a stupid idea. I am doing it anyway. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

deadAngle

Reaction score
Clearly the best option here is the peel and stick decals.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I would go with the linen-cotton canvas. Make it a spring summer suit. There's nothing else there I would even think about as using for suiting. Make sure to wash any fabric you choose before it's made into a suit as well.

cxeq

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Let me clarify, I don't think this is a bad idea, but I know that many would, and I know I would think its a ****** idea If I was in anyone else's situation. I just wanted to preempt anyone taking me it would be dumb. It's for novelty purposes. I'm having a suit made out of money printed fabric. So its not really about quality.

In all seriousness, I would go with the linen-cotton canvas. Make it a spring summer suit. There's nothing else there I would even think about as using for suiting. Make sure to wash any fabric you choose before it's made into a suit as well.

Thanks for taking this seriously. I really appreciate your reply. What about the heavy cotton twill? They say if could be used for 'jackets'. Why is it necessary to wash the fabric pre use? Thanks again.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CXEQ, welcome to Styleforum.
Ever hear of Don Cherry?

https://www.google.com/search?q=don...DI2wWQvYC4BA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1067&bih=487

https://www.google.com/search?num=5...0.0..0.0....0...1c.1.31.hp..0.0.0.MedrBjrx3KQ

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

cxeq

Reaction score

CXEQ, welcome to Styleforum.
Ever hear of Don Cherry?

Thanks for the welcome, Man of Lint.

I hadn't heard of Don Cherry until that video, but he sure does look fashionable.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for taking this seriously. I really appreciate your reply. What about the heavy cotton twill? They say if could be used for 'jackets'. Why is it necessary to wash the fabric pre use? Thanks again.

Shrinkage. You want the fabric pre shrunk before you make it into anything, and your cheap tailor might not think to do so.

As for the heavy cotton twill, that said it was upholstery fabric- I'd think that's more oriented towards work coats when used in clothing.

And yeah, this is sounding very Don Cherry-esque.

jt10000

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads