1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rtr, Jun 30, 2005.

1. rtr

rtr Member

I really appreciate all of the recommendations. After stopping by T&A and Bergdorf Goodman this afternoon, I decided to purchase a Charvet, which fit perfectly (short sleeves and all). I am really happy with it. What would I have done without Styleforum (and its recommendations to track down threads on AskAndy)? You guys make this an amazing resource. Newbies like myself can't thank you enough.

2. taillfuzz

taillfuzz Active Member

Good choice. Hard to beat Charvet for a white shirt.

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Those BG Charvet are cut for the US marketplace, right? I mean, they aren't tapered.

4. rtr

rtr Member

I think that's right. It has a more tailored fit than the other shirts I own, but it is not tapered so far as I can tell. I don't know if the Charvets for the French market are different.

5. Matt

Matt Senior member

No one mentioned Carl?

The CEGO gods are not smiling upon us

6. chapunso

chapunso Well-Known Member

try thomas pink (140$)

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I thought about it, but given the time he had, the shirt had to fit almost perfectly from the get-go. I'm sure CEGO could have a shirt in time, but what if it needed some tweaking...

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Junk. Especially at that price.

9. Matt

Matt Senior member

i collect three more of my nine-odd dollar shirts from the vietnamese tailor tomorrow. pretty happy with the first one, hope these turn out. i think id take 15.55 of them over one thomas pink [​IMG]

10. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Charvet is a great choice. The fabrics are wonderful.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

m@T: How is the workmanship of these Vietnamese tailored garments? If they are as cheap as you describe -- at a fraction of the price of even Hong Kong tailors -- have you considered taking orders from SF members? Even if the quality is a step or two below Jantzen or Chan, surely the incredibly low pricing would make it worthwhile.

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

quality basically ok, and at $9 i treat em as disposable.

i found some nice cotton in the markets, but i have no idea what the quality is, what the composition is etc etc - i just know if looked nice n felt nice. these are questions you guys will all ask (and justifiably so) and i just have no answer cos i dont trust what the woman at the markets tells me anyhow.

ive flirted with the idea of doing that as kinda a community service, but hit a few barriers....

1. im logging 70 hour weeks in the real job
    2. im not prepared to stand by their workmanship in the face of the particularly anal customers that make these boards so great
    3. i dont trust other peoples measurements and dont want to put myself in the middle of "my sleeve is 1/4 inch too long, i told you X and this is x.25" and end up offering a warranty on something i didnt make and dealing with 100 emails from customers around the world (see point 1)

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Entirely understandable. I think you'd only want to do it if you were setting it up as a business. I would imagine that the cost of labor is low enough in Vietnam that you could probably hire someone to help if you were so inclined. And you could say you wouldn't take orders unless the person was measure by a tailor.

Does $9 include materials as well? What do your other tailored garments cost?

14. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Those BG Charvet are cut for the US marketplace, right? Â I mean, they aren't tapered.
    I think that's right. It has a more tailored fit than the other shirts I own, but it is not tapered so far as I can tell. I don't know if the Charvets for the French market are different.
    I'll receive my first petite measure from Charvet this weekend. This is one I had made in Paris. I'll let you know about the difference in fit then. Ermenegildo Zegna (US) offers a slim fitting shirt in MTM.

15. Matt

Matt Senior member

ok let me work this out more scientifically....

Shirts:

fabric cost me 50000 dong per meter, i need 2 meters
    tailoring cost me 60000 dong
    so 160000 dong total /15860 = 10.08 per shirt

Trousers:

wool (with Dormeuil spelt incorrectly on selvedge) cost me 120000 dong for 1.3 meters
    tailoring cost me 70000 dong
    so 190000/15860 = 11.98 per pair

16. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

That's great. Do you think the workmanship is good? Have you ever considered importing your own material, or is that not possible?

17. Matt

Matt Senior member

i think the workmanship is OK. Good if you show them a ton of pics and insist on details being matched etc etc - then theyll do quite well. left to their own devices...well.....as another expat once told me about Vietnam "the only place ive ever lived where people will spend three hours looking for ways to cut corners on a 20 minute job"

yeah, i import my own cloth for suits - made 2, 1 to go when i get time to do it. Been basically happy with the results.

Cost hovers between $50-60 for tailoring on full canvas suits

Trousers I dont care so much (its 90+ most days here, so I seldom wear a jacket) - i settle for look good, drape well, feel nice with those.

Suits Im more fussy of course and insist on nice cloth, which I buy on eBay from a guy (how6955) in England.

18. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

So what makes a shirt different than a blazer in this regard?

19. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Originally Posted by johnapril,July 01 2005,11:10
    I'll receive my first petite measure from Charvet this weekend. Â This is one I had made in Paris. Â I'll let you know about the difference in fit then. Ermenegildo Zegna (US) offers a slim fitting shirt in MTM.
    So what makes a shirt different than a blazer in this regard?
    Please restate the question. Ed- We have reprocessed this request from the Bible belt and come up with an answer: better choice in fabrics.

20. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

m@T: I think you should seriously consider this. Start it as a business as chorse123 suggested and import cloth or allow buyers to send their own cloth. You seem like an entrepreneurial fellow -- since you're running your marketing (?) business -- so this may be something up your alley.

Anyway, if you're serious about this perhaps you should start another thread so we can stop hijacking this one.