• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Shirt Value

5thave

Reaction score
What's the best shirt value (most quality) I can get for around $50? I'm asking for items that are normally priced in the $50 range. If you know of items that are great and priced around $50 only during a sale, please mention the time and location specs so everyone can enjoy. Thanks, I really enjoy this site, you guys are great.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Polo Ralph Lauren "Phillip" and "Curham" models. About $75 - $95 retail, $50 (and less) on sale.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
You can pretty readily find the Polo shirts listed above at that price point, also Ike Behar can be found that cheaply. Brooks Brothers, certainly, at their semi-annual sales.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jantzen tailor, $47 shipped. but you have to wait for 'em.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also have to say go with Polo, which is the only company I know of that offers single needle stitching in shirts that are priced anywhere from $50 to $100.

To be frank, I would consider WW Chan as an option here. Lots of good fabrics for $79 - $83 on their website. If you are reasonably good at your measurements you will get a far superior fit than anything OTR. And you will get a far superior shirt to anything you could find in the U.S. at that price point. It only takes 3 to 4 weeks to have your shirt delivered (which makes it my shirt of choice over Jantzen these days), so you can order 1 and tweak any future measurements.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second Ike Behar recommendation, usually priced at $50-$75 at places like off-5th

boston

Reaction score
Lands End. Their shirts are great value. The only thing they lack is MOP buttons.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Express shirts are nice if you are younger, they are cut slim and many of the fabrics have a bit of stretch added. Retail for most is $50. Wide range of solid colors as well as patterns.

They also have a line of 'Premium Cloth' shirts that retail for $60-$70. Fabrics are 100% cotton and quite nice for the price. Some nice solids with herringbone/birdseye weave, as well as patterns.

You can find the $50 shirts on sale all the time for $20-30, and the $70 shirts on sale for $40.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt at 50% off, comes out to just under $50. There are always links to 1/2 off floating around here, I think this should still work http://www.ctshirts.com/twill
You can sometimes find Gitman (made in the USA) shirts on sale for this price. Or Forsyth (made in Canada) from Hathaway's old patterns (and using some of their technology and former craftsmen). You could do worse than the USA-made Brooks oxford for $59.99, though that's a bit over your marker.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind a bit more generous cut, I suggest calling the Robert Talbott outlet in Carmel Valley, CA. They frequently discount dress shirts to $50 (rrp: $100+). Good quality, I just can't deal with the fit through the body.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also have to say go with Polo, which is the only company I know of that offers single needle stitching in shirts that are priced anywhere from $50 to $100.  

To be frank, I would consider WW Chan as an option here.  Lots of good fabrics for $79 - $83 on their website.  If you are reasonably good at your measurements you will get a far superior fit than anything OTR.  And you will get a far superior shirt to anything you could find in the U.S. at that price point.  It only takes 3 to 4 weeks to have your shirt delivered (which makes it my shirt of choice over Jantzen these days), so you can order 1 and tweak any future measurements.
Johnny: Can you post any pics of your Chan shirts? I too am looking at their swatches, and their dramatically superior customer service (compared to Jantzen) has me considering them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads