1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Shirt Value

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 5thave, Mar 29, 2005.

1. 5thave

5thave Active Member

What's the best shirt value (most quality) I can get for around $50? I'm asking for items that are normally priced in the $50 range. If you know of items that are great and priced around $50 only during a sale, please mention the time and location specs so everyone can enjoy. Thanks, I really enjoy this site, you guys are great.

2. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior Member

Polo Ralph Lauren "Phillip" and "Curham" models. About $75 - $95 retail, $50 (and less) on sale.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

You can pretty readily find the Polo shirts listed above at that price point, also Ike Behar can be found that cheaply. Brooks Brothers, certainly, at their semi-annual sales.

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

jantzen tailor, $47 shipped. but you have to wait for 'em.

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I'd also have to say go with Polo, which is the only company I know of that offers single needle stitching in shirts that are priced anywhere from $50 to $100.

To be frank, I would consider WW Chan as an option here. Lots of good fabrics for $79 - $83 on their website. If you are reasonably good at your measurements you will get a far superior fit than anything OTR. And you will get a far superior shirt to anything you could find in the U.S. at that price point. It only takes 3 to 4 weeks to have your shirt delivered (which makes it my shirt of choice over Jantzen these days), so you can order 1 and tweak any future measurements.

6. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior Member

Jantzen offers a truly remarkable product for $45

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

I second Ike Behar recommendation, usually priced at $50-$75 at places like off-5th

8. boston

boston Senior Member

Lands End. Their shirts are great value. The only thing they lack is MOP buttons.

9. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Express shirts are nice if you are younger, they are cut slim and many of the fabrics have a bit of stretch added. Retail for most is $50. Wide range of solid colors as well as patterns.

They also have a line of 'Premium Cloth' shirts that retail for $60-$70. Fabrics are 100% cotton and quite nice for the price. Some nice solids with herringbone/birdseye weave, as well as patterns.

You can find the $50 shirts on sale all the time for $20-30, and the $70 shirts on sale for $40.

10. redtree00

redtree00 Senior Member

Charles Tyrwhitt at 50% off, comes out to just under $50. There are always links to 1/2 off floating around here, I think this should still work http://www.ctshirts.com/twill

11. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

You can sometimes find Gitman (made in the USA) shirts on sale for this price. Or Forsyth (made in Canada) from Hathaway's old patterns (and using some of their technology and former craftsmen). You could do worse than the USA-made Brooks oxford for $59.99, though that's a bit over your marker.

12. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

If you don't mind a bit more generous cut, I suggest calling the Robert Talbott outlet in Carmel Valley, CA. They frequently discount dress shirts to $50 (rrp: $100+). Good quality, I just can't deal with the fit through the body.

13. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

Johnny: Can you post any pics of your Chan shirts? I too am looking at their swatches, and their dramatically superior customer service (compared to Jantzen) has me considering them.