• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shirt/tie combination for khaki linen suit at graduation

TRA8324

Reaction score
I'll be attending my girlfriend's graduation next month. It's outdoors on a Friday morning. I plan on wearing the linen suit pictured below. My question is what shirt/tie combination would look best with this? It's an outdoor graduation in downtown Nashville so I can go a little bold.

Combinations i've thought of so far:

-blue gingham w/navy knit tie. Not sure what color blue to go with though. Either light blue or medium-blue.
-white or blue OCBD w/seersucker tie
-white or blue ocbd w/ gingham tie...would blue be the best color?

tumblr_l8zogzk0pY1qdiiq5o1_500.jpg

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a khaki linen suit just like that....id go for a white or blue shirt with the navy knit...looks really good.

Good to see another nashville fella on here.
fistbump.gif

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seersucker tie with either the blue or white OCBD sounds good. What colour & style seersucker did you have in mind?

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I have a khaki linen suit just like that....id go for a white or blue shirt with the navy knit...looks really good.

Good to see another nashville fella on here.
fistbump.gif

Hells yeah.
cheers.gif

That seems like a classic look and it's the easiest since I already have the knit tie.

Originally Posted by Loathing
Seersucker tie with either the blue or white OCBD sounds good. What colour & style seersucker did you have in mind?

Would be one from the tie bar...probably blue. maybe lavender or pink.

http://www.thetiebar.com/search.asp?target=seersucker

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
theres a local tie maker here in nashville that has some pretty badass seersucker and gingham ties.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
TRA8324;4361809 said:
Where at? How much do they run?

which color?

to be honest I dont know where they sell at... Ive met her a few times and she showed me some of her new spring run.....Ill see if i can find the info and shoot ya a PM.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lots of options... Navy seems traditional, personally I like brown with a bit of pattern, and red or orange are also nice... some examples: throw in a tie clip or some accessory?
oXSWb.jpg
add a little texture?
O7UD1.jpg
0LZ6G.jpg
rgazH.jpg
with stripes
wH0zp.jpg
Seeing red?
p5Yw9.jpg
LnRL1.jpg
and who could forget, the muther fukin pimp daddy yfyf?
7YJez.jpg

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Nii's brown polka dot tie is the ****. Ive been looking for one like that for ages.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ agreed. I like Phatty's too but I think it's not that easy to match. Spoo's is a good second IMO.

TRA8324

Reaction score
those chocolate brown examples look awesome...thanks!

I'm also digging the purple gingham/navy tie in the last example.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads