• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best shirt material for a skinny guy?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does

Oxford
Herringbone
Denim?
Chambray

look on a thin frame? What other materials would make a good shirt for casual wear?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
How does

Oxford
Herringbone
Denim?
Chambray

look on a thin frame? What other materials would make a good shirt for casual wear?

Same as anyone else. There is no basis for your thread or apparent concern.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
too many other questions
is the for dress or casual

the cut is more important then the fabric

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're thin, I'd say that thicker, weightier (is that a word?) fabrics will add some thickness and give the illusion of some size to your upper body. Layering will help as well.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
If you're thin, I'd say that thicker, weightier (is that a word?) fabrics will add some thickness and give the illusion of some size to your upper body. Layering will help as well.

I'll second this.

It's true that cut and fit are of primary importance here, as always. But certain fabrics flatter the skinny physique better than others. Thinner and lighter weaves can sort of hang lifelessly to a scrawny frame, enhancing said scrawniness. Heavier fabrics, such as oxford cloth, will lend a tiny bit more substance to your frame (though at the expense of some degree of formality).

Beyond that, layering is your best friend. I'm not suggesting you stuff two or three undershirts beneath a dress shirt or anything (a particularly manorexic roommate in college used to do that), but rather, that you try wearing a few, thin layers of outerwear when weather permits: things like sweaters, jackets, etc.

Ultimately, though, be aware that there are no magical sartorial cures for skinniness. If you're unhappy with your body image, work out and build some bulk. I did that myself after many years of trying to disguise my skinny body in various sartorial smokescreens.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I'll second this.

It's true that cut and fit are of primary importance here, as always. But certain fabrics flatter the skinny physique better than others. Thinner and lighter weaves can sort of hang lifelessly to a scrawny frame, enhancing said scrawniness. Heavier fabrics, such as oxford cloth, will lend a tiny bit more substance to your frame (though at the expense of some degree of formality).

Beyond that, layering is your best friend. I'm not suggesting you stuff two or three undershirts beneath a dress shirt or anything (a particularly manorexic roommate in college used to do that), but rather, that you try wearing a few, thin layers of outerwear when weather permits: things like sweaters, jackets, etc.

Ultimately, though, be aware that there are no magical sartorial cures for skinniness. If you're unhappy with your body image, work out and build some bulk. I did that myself after many years of trying to disguise my skinny body in various sartorial smokescreens.

What about the wrinkling when wearing a thin shirt like a button down shirt?

I agree with you, and bulking up will take time, but I am looking out for fabric options for shirts for now.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
What about the wrinkling when wearing a thin shirt like a button down shirt?

I agree with you, and bulking up will take time, but I am looking out for fabric options for shirts for now.

And as others have said, it's really not going to make that much of a difference. At least not that others will notice all that much.

Layering is your friend and of much more importance than shirt fabric with regards to your original post. Wearing oxford compared to twill compared to chambray, etc. isn't really going to be noticeable. If your talking silk vs. denim then there's a difference, but outside of that just get what you like...

Also, don't start wearing thicker fabrics in the summer - or something stupid like that - just because you think it'll make you look bigger.

Learn to accept your body and you'll be much better off.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 63 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 120 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 17.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 7.2%