• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best shaving soap?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I definitely didn't want to newb up this thread because I understand it's pretty widely accepted that DE > Cartridge, but I've also heard that switching the razor types is a significantly smaller improvement than the switch from tube cream + hand to real cream + brush.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I definitely didn't want to newb up this thread because I understand it's pretty widely accepted that DE > Cartridge, but I've also heard that switching the razor types is a significantly smaller improvement than the switch from tube cream + hand to real cream + brush.

True dat, double true.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recently made a few changes to how I shave. my maid broke my moss skuttle, and when I ordered a new one, I asked if they could make it with the spout big enough to fit my brush. the woman who makes them didn't want to, but she did in the end. so now this is what I do:

fill the skuttle with hot water, start soaking the brush
aply a few drops of sandlewood oil as a preshave oil
apply mama bear soap with my boar brush, put the brush back into soak
shave against the grain
apply more soap with brush
shave with the grain (I haven't shaved with the grain in 20 years or so, I am really happy with the results)
apply a big handful of moisturizer

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I've heard from repeated sources whom I trust, that no soap is better than Tabac. I used Tabac cream, which was terrible, but apparently their soap just can't be beat. That's going to be my next purchase when my current stock runs out.

I can tell you this though from personal experience, if you don't want to spend the money on fancy imported shaving soap, you can make your own very cheaply.

First go to Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, or whatever and pick up a puck of Surrey/Van der Hagen shaving soap.

surrey_glycerin.png

Any kind of theirs will work, but I use the Deluxe kind. Surrey soap shouldn't cost you more than 2 dollars a puck.

Cut the soap puck into cubes, then place in a microwave safe bowl. I use an 8oz Ziplock tupperware container. Microwave the soap cubes for about 10 or 20 seconds, until it melts pretty nicely. But watch it, it's easy for it to foam over, the soap melts very quickly.

Once melted, stir in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of liquid vegetable glycerin. Then place in the freezer or let it harden for a while.

Wallah, you have a shave soap that barely cost over 2 dollars that will outperform anything you buy from Britain. It will just be lacking in the scent department is all.

Wait... You're telling me you can make shaving soap out of shaving soup!?

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though not soap I have fond Kiehl's Light Flight Shave Creme (for the brush) to be much better than soaps that cost even twice as much ($35-40). At $16 it is worth picking some up to try.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of B&M store would sell double edge blades? I ordered some on ebay, but apparently the dude is gone till the end of the month and I'm on my last blade! I assume a drug store might have some behind the counter somewhere?

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
Though not soap I have fond Kiehl's Light Flight Shave Creme (for the brush) to be much better than soaps that cost even twice as much ($35-40). At $16 it is worth picking some up to try.

I liked this, after a number of creams, I'm going to switch to soaps for a bit, staring with Taylor of Old Bond.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Anyone know what kind of B&M store would sell double edge blades? I ordered some on ebay, but apparently the dude is gone till the end of the month and I'm on my last blade! I assume a drug store might have some behind the counter somewhere?

I've seen this at a local wal-mart and I've read good things about it

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10318835

Most of those general stores or drug stores like Walgreens or Target or whatever will have a small shaving section loaded with the new fancy Gillette stuff but there will be an occasional shave soap or shaving blade thing.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
What is the effective difference between the two? I've been using Evelynn & Crabtree cream that I like teh smell of, but I'm not attached to it and I'd like to move to something better as I still have not been able to achieve perfectly smooth skin (or even a neck without visible hair).

I've got a bad combination - particularly fair/sensitive skin, and tough hair. The Crabtree stuff is the first stuff I've used since I picked up a brush (bought the E&C best brush and decided to get some cream along with it), so if one of you guys has experience with their stuff and a rec for my direction I'd appreciate it. I can't exactly walk out of the house and sample everything there is, being in Japan and all.

I started using a shaving brush with C&E product and then moved to Truefitt. C&E is good stuff, but moving to T&H was definitely a step up. It's hard to describe but the C&E stuff just doesn't lather up as richly, nor leave my skin in as good a shape. If you have a mug, T&H has a mug sized soap in Sandalwood. These run less (I want to say I paid $8? $14?) than the bowls and would be an inexpensive way for you to try a different product.

You may also have skin moisture issues and you can try applying a quality balm/skin food (trumpers, T&H, Taylors, etc) prior to your shave. This has worked pretty well for me when I really needed to have a good shave.

Smartalox

Reaction score
Proraso for me, from the green (eucalyptus formula) tub. I used to love Noxzema's brush-on shaving cream until it went out of business (classic, and good for my teen age blotchiness). Then I mucked about with Body Shop shave cream for a while (meh).

I find that Proraso in the tub with some hot water whips to a thick, rich lather that really tenderizes my beard. The longer I go without shaving, the longer I'll let the foam soak in before I start.

Occasionally I'd get razor bumps, but I found that pouring a little hydrogen peroxide on my shaving brush disinfected it, and eliminated them.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where do you get SMN cream? im guessing it isn't cheap...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get mine at the store around the corner. It's available from e-tailers (example). It's around $50 for the 8 1/2 oz tub

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads