Best shaving soap?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by godofcoffee, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Another vote in favor of Tabac.

With the hard soaps it can take forever to use one up. I must have 3 years worth of soaps in various stages of use. Still, I keep going back to Tabac for most shaves.

2. Helix

Helix Senior member

Tabac is very nice smelling and seems pretty good but for some reason it absolutely rapes my face. Most of the time i use proaso or proaso sensitive. Might give Tabac another go though. It just smells so much better.

3. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

4. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

Interesting! I guess I'll stick with Proraso and maybe switch it up with Tabac. I doubt I have the gumption for the home-made glycerin thing.

5. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I'm pretty happy with Taylor of Old Bond St. as well. Is Tabac much better for soaps?

6. em36

em36 Senior member

I'm pretty happy with Taylor of Old Bond St. as well. Is Tabac much better for soaps?

Yes. Lavender.

7. theincumbent

theincumbent Senior member

Mama Bears Soaps are excellent. Great price and quantity.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

lavender? eeww... why not raspberry/rhubarb?

9. andrew1821

andrew1821 Well-Known Member

That's an easy one: D.R. Harris shaving soaps (triple milled for excellent lather!). I've tried Proaso (which was the least good of all I've ever tried!), Edwin Jagger and one more brand, believe it was Geo F. Trumper. However, as much as I like soaps I regularly shave with either Edwin Jagger or Geo F. Trumper's shaving creams = heaven! And one tube last 6 months (if you use a shaving brush)!

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't particularly like prorarso, it seems to thin and I get razor burn when I use it. I've been using pecksniffs for a while now and its great, but when I run out I will probably change to something else because its like $50 for a tub.

11. converge

converge Senior member

Only really used Proraso but don't see a reason to try anything else.

12. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Senior member

Not sure I can pick a best, but I have several soaps and creams in my rotation and like them all. Soaps I now stick with Gentleman's Quarter various scents, my go to cream seems to be TH West Indian Limes mainly for the scent, but an impressive lather too.

13. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Trumper's extract of limes shaving soap has been my choice since I started shaving - long lasting, pleasant smell, good lather. A solid product

Recently, however, I switched to Santa Maria Novella Crema di Barba and found it a big step up. The lather is more 'lathery', the shave smoother, and it feels very refreshing as well. It is £40 from the London store, and the huge tub makes it inconvenient for travelling (then I still carry my Trumper's soap and travel badger brush) - but an excellent product

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I used to use Trufitt and switched to Santa Maria Novella's Crema da Barba which I like much better. It's more expensive but the tub is gigantic and will probably last me 2 years.

Recently, however, I switched to Santa Maria Novella Crema di Barba and found it a big step up. The lather is more 'lathery', the shave smoother, and it feels very refreshing as well. It is £40 from the London store, and the huge tub makes it inconvenient for travelling (then I still carry my Trumper's soap and travel badger brush) - but an excellent product

[​IMG]

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

Off topic, but if you soap guys ever want to try a great shaving cream, Musgo Real is phenomenal.

[​IMG]