1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best shaving cream

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by HitMan009, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Homme

Homme Senior member

I've been using Musgo Real lately. Nice, close shaves.

2. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

I've seen this question asked a lot lately. Must be the time of year. I wrote a review of shave creams a while back, but here's my current Top 3: Moulton Brown Olibanum Super Shave Art of Shaving Sandalwood Billy Jealousy Hydroplane (much to my surprise)

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

My current favourite is the Arran Aromatics Vetiver. Discontinued apparently but there are a few eBay vendors that stock it. I actually managed to get a hold of a little travel/gift pack with the shaving cream, exfoliating cream, body splash/cologne, aftershave balm, shower gel (all vetiver-scented) - and a little blue towel. Very cost effective, too!

Edit:
    I have been meaning to try Musgo Real and some Floris stuff. Have to find a way to get some samples...

P.s. big fan of the Provence Sante' green tea aftershave. How is the rest of their line?

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

P.s. big fan of the Provence Sante' green tea aftershave. How is the rest of their line?

Provence Sante' Verlaine/Baudelaire shave soap is easy to use and makes an extravagantly rich lather. If I was reduced to a single soap, that would be the one. Some are not a fan of the smell, but I find it soothing (it's powdery). If the rest of their line is half as good, it would be well worth the $$$.

5. mikej77

mikej77 Senior member

I have been happy with the billy jealousy shave cream.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Coconut oil from Trumpers. Keeps the skin moist and smooth.

More for less than Truefitt, which I found too stung a little but the aftershave blams are excellent.

7. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Coconut oil from Trumpers. Keeps the skin moist and smooth.

More for less than Truefitt, which I found too stung a little but the aftershave blams [sic] are excellent.

I use the West Indian Limes.

8. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Nancy Boy Shaving cream is highly regarded. Check out their website.

9. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I use Proraso, it is very menthol, very thick but not clogging in the razor, and will stay on the face and will allow you to double up on your face a second time to get that extra close shave.
    It can tend to dry your face out a bit, but if you use a lotion after words, it works great.
    I have used sharps and King of Shaves, neither are even close to this stuff from Italy in the cool metal tube.
    Also, for $10.00, it lasts forever.

Note, you can also get it from Bath and Body works under some goofy brand, it is in the green box for 10 bones.

NOTE:
    On the sharps website, you can get a free sample pack for $3.00 shipping!

10. remo72tg

remo72tg Well-Known Member

Anything from Truefit&Hill.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Proraso is also a winner, but today I used Wars - a cheap cream from Poland that performs far better than its price would indicate. I had forgotten how good this stuff is.

Bath and Body Works carries Proraso under the C.O. Bigelow line.

12. Manic

Manic Active Member

I use Proraso, it is very menthol, very thick but not clogging in the razor, and will stay on the face and will allow you to double up on your face a second time to get that extra close shave.
    It can tend to dry your face out a bit, but if you use a lotion after words, it works great.

+1000 for Proraso

That stuff is incredible, and cheap too! I actually like the smell of it. Sure, it's a little drying in the winter, but followed by a good balm, it can't be beat.

I'm noticing there isn't much love being shown for Taylor's Avacado. That stuff is great as well. A lot of moisture so it's perfect for winter.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

mother bear, M@T told me about it, actually. love it, although my wife thinks the name is worthly of ridicule.

14. Albee

Albee Member

Taylors advocado a definite must. Also try Floris,just go to their website and you can request samples as well.

15. Sauwan

Sauwan Senior member

I really love my Toms Best natural stuff. The thing is, to get the most of it you need the brush and bowl to whip up a great lather (it's not pressurized canned crap but comes in a metal toothbrush paste esque tube).

However, in terms of lubrication and how soothing it is, I've not experienced anything that compares.

If you're interested in some reviews from serious shavers, you can read up here and see what people who take this kind of thing pretty seriously think.

16. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Taylors advocado a definite must. Also try Floris,just go to their website and you can request samples as well.

I actually don't like taylors avocado, it lathers fine but the scent doesn't really do much.

17. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I really love my Toms Best natural stuff. The thing is, to get the most of it you need the brush and bowl to whip up a great lather (it's not pressurized canned crap but comes in a metal toothbrush paste esque tube).

However, in terms of lubrication and how soothing it is, I've not experienced anything that compares.

If you're interested in some reviews from serious shavers, you can read up here and see what people who take this kind of thing pretty seriously think.

Here's a similar thread at that B&B:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15450

18. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

B&B is to shaving what SF is to dressing. Great bunch of folks there.

19. wetshaver

wetshaver Active Member

Floris of London Santal shaving cream is simply marvellous for these cold winter days... Exceptionally moisturising and the scent is heavenly.

20. Jl24

Jl24 Senior member

T&H Ultimate Comfort

Although I find I actually prefer a shaving gel (not the aerosol kind) most of the time for convenience.