Best Shaving Cream??

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Panzeraxe, Jun 14, 2005.

1. TCN

TCN Senior member

(TCN @ July 07 2005,14:17) Oh btw, worst stuff ever, has to be that "Anthony Logistics" garbage, IMHO.
    WHOO, you ever try "philosophy" brand shaving cream? Â It contained a strong anesthetic that left my cheeks feeling dead and smelled terrible. Â Godawful.
    LOL, but you have to admit they have/had clever marketing. I think I've tried virtually every brand out there, but two notables that I never tried are Philosophy and Aramis (lab series). So I can now cross Philosophy off my try-list, and frankly I don't think I could take something made by Aramis seriously anyways. [​IMG]

2. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Before my wetshaving days, I was a big supporter of Philosophy's Razor Sharp - I have, however, now seen the light.

From what I've heard Cremo Cream is the best slap-on/no brush needed shaving cream out there.

Panzer

3. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Thought I'd also add an update to this thread seeing how I started it. So far I've tried:

Musgo Real
    DR Harris Arlington
    Trumpers Lime
    Proraso (Green)
    Taylor's Avocado
    Taylor's Mr. Taylor

My favorite remains Musgo Real - all the others are very good as well, though don't seem to offer the same 'closeness of shave' as the Musgo.

I'm also not a big fan of the Proraso - I've found the shave to be somewhat mediocre.

Panzer

4. Horace

Horace Senior member

For all I know Trumpers & Truefitt are made in the same place, but I recently started using Truefitt stuff (esp. the stuff in the tube -- good for travel I thought), and it just doesn't work as well as the Trumpers. Of course, I'm using trumpers cake soap -- Sandlewood, which I've been using for about 20 years, but still.

Maybe I'm not adding enough water to the Truefitt stuff -- I use a brush and put the cream from the tube into my hand and mush it around a bit. Maybe I should start travelling with a shaving bowl too.

5. water

water Senior member

I consider Truefitt cream top notch. I have never tried the tubes but I own tubs of the Trafalgar, Grafton, and Rose. All of them are fantastic.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Geo. F. Trumper's Violet, Geo. F. Trumper's Rose
    Truefitt & Hill 1805 gives me very close shaves but I sometimes find my skin too sensitive for it.

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Thought I'd also add an update to this thread seeing how I started it. So far I've tried:

Musgo Real
    DR Harris Arlington
    Trumpers Lime
    Proraso (Green)
    Taylor's Avocado
    Taylor's Mr. Taylor

My favorite remains Musgo Real - all the others are very good as well, though don't seem to offer the same 'closeness of shave' as the Musgo.

I'm also not a big fan of the Proraso - I've found the shave to be somewhat mediocre.

Panzer

Funny you mention that... the Proraso seems to work rather well for me even though it is a little boring [​IMG] ...

8. water

water Senior member

I enjoy Trumper's Violet. A little bit of a strange smell for me (almost a little too sweet) but it helps provide a great shave and is superb for sensitive skin.

Truefitt's 1805 does not work well for me. It seems to be a favourite for a lot of people but the overbearing scent gives me a headache. Probably the only Truefitt cream that I really dislike.

9. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

I'll second the positive feedback on Truefitt. Great stuff. Generally I've been using their Trafalgar but - since the British goods store in town had been experiencing disappointing sales with their Truefitt stock and were dumping everything at 50% off - I laid in what is probably a 2-year supply of both the Trafalgar and Grafton creams in the plastic tubs.

10. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

The shaving cream from Nancy Boy is at the top of my list at the moment. Lathers great, the smell is incredibly energizing, and rinses clean - all for a price that is far cheaper than any of the big 'T's. And the best part of ordering from them - if you don't like the product, they'll give you a full refund and simply ask that you pass it on to someone else to try out.

11. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Would Noxzema (sp?) be trad?

Whatever you do, do not shave ehhh...sensitive areas with it, or any other mentholated stuff.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

I like Proraso. Menthol is great. Trumper's Violet is the most luxurious I have tried. I'd say the best value is Will G's soap selection from ebay. The quality you get for a 3 - 4 dollar puck of shea butter shaving soap is amazing. Nancy Boy is on my list of things to try, but my bathroom drawer is already overflowing with creams and soaps, gotta wait a while.

13. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior member

I came across a tube of Proraso at Target yesterday (was amazing to find it and almost the full Sharp's line there), and had my first shave with it today. And what a shave it was - my face was baby smooth and did not show even the least bit of irritation.

14. javyn

javyn Senior member

It's really awesome that Target carries the Proraso line now. Get some Pre Shave Cream...it's great too!

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I found a couple of tubs of Caswell-Massey's 1752 shave cream dirt cheap. Both were sandalwood, and I quite like both the scent and the cream. A single tub lasted six to eight months. Once I run out, I'll probably buy more. I'm tempted to get more now, because they're running a 20 percent off promotion. That takes the price down to about $13 for an 8 oz. tub.