1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Shaving Cream??

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Panzeraxe, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

After having tried Musgo Real, Proraso, and Trumper's (Limes Scent), I've settled on Musgo Real which I've found gives me the best, closest shave (as an added bonus I love the scent as well).

Are there are 'hidden gems' that I am missing and should definitely give a shot?

Thanks,

Panzer

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dunno about hidden gems. I've generally used Taylors' Sandalwood shaving cream and shaving soap. Also DR Harris "Arlington" lime-scented cream. They work fine for me. Wanna go out on a limb and try the Creed shaving creams that are $60 at Ben Silver and report back to us?

3. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

60 bucks. - expensive, even for Creed. Does Creed have a history of making men's products?

Panzer

4. RJman

Well, they've made men's perfumes for donkey's years. They offer some associated products like deodorant, soap and shaving soap. It appears to come in a wooden bowl -- you know how expensive that wood's getting these days. Do it, do it.

5. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Nah - I've already blown away a substantial portion of this years bonus on some new suits - guess I'll just stick with Musgo Real

Panzer

6. RJman

When you say this year, do you mean the one we get at the end of the year that we haven't received yet or the one we got at the end of last year?

7. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

I always seem to make my way back to the Art of Shaving lavendar scented, but did just pick up a jar of John Allan's Shave today.

8. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

cremocream.com

i bought some last night but haven't tried it yet. i'll report later.

9. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

(Panzeraxe @ June 14 2005,14:42) Nah - I've already blown away a substantial portion of this years bonus on some new suits - guess I'll just stick with Musgo Real Panzer
    When you say this year, do you mean the one we get at the end of the year that we haven't received yet or the one we got at the end of last year?
    Works different in pre-MBA Private Equity - we get paid in June with the assumption that we leave for B-School after two years. Panzer

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

ive always been really happy with the cream from the Body Shop

11. mano

mano Senior member

Yep, Musgo. Just got 4-5 tubes in the mail. Should last a year or so.

12. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i tried the cremo cream and it is an excellent product. i highly recommend it.

kiehl's is excellent too and may be easier to find. both are avialable online.

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What's the best unscented cream? I try to get everything unscented. I wear cologne; I don't want other scents interfering with that. I wish my hair products were unscented...

Oh, and I finally started shaving with a razor yesterday. First time in my life. Don't laugh.

14. TCN

TCN Senior member

Kiehls' tubes are nice for travel and when you're not shaving in the shower.

The old Clinique gel is great too.

I've been disappointed with "The Art of Shaving" stuff.

I lump Truefitt, Taylor, Harris, Trumpers, and Coates into the same "English high glycerine" category, which I like, and works well for both a brush and just with your hand. Of these, Coates seems to be the thickest and most "luxurious" if you will.

If you want to save a ton of cash, and don't mind putting up with a slightly feminine scent that fades to nothing after a few apres rassage splashes of cold water, try a tube of CVS's generic facial wash. It's cheap, and has more glycerine than any of the English preparations, comes in a tube for travel, and even has triclosan, an antibacterial agent. It may not be chic or very trad, but I'm telling you it works great for a third or a quarter of the price. I discovered it when my wife was using it as a face wash and I ran out of my shaving cream.

Oh btw, worst stuff ever, has to be that "Anthony Logistics" garbage, IMHO.

15. RJman

WHOO, you ever try "philosophy" brand shaving cream? It contained a strong anesthetic that left my cheeks feeling dead and smelled terrible. Godawful.

16. TCN

TCN Senior member

(TCN @ July 07 2005,14:17) Oh btw, worst stuff ever, has to be that "Anthony Logistics" garbage, IMHO.
    WHOO, you ever try "philosophy" brand shaving cream? Â It contained a strong anesthetic that left my cheeks feeling dead and smelled terrible. Â Godawful.
    LOL, but you have to admit they have/had clever marketing. I think I've tried virtually every brand out there, but two notables that I never tried are Philosophy and Aramis (lab series). So I can now cross Philosophy off my try-list, and frankly I don't think I could take something made by Aramis seriously anyways. [​IMG]

17. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Before my wetshaving days, I was a big supporter of Philosophy's Razor Sharp - I have, however, now seen the light.

From what I've heard Cremo Cream is the best slap-on/no brush needed shaving cream out there.

Panzer

18. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Thought I'd also add an update to this thread seeing how I started it. So far I've tried:

Musgo Real
    DR Harris Arlington
    Trumpers Lime
    Proraso (Green)
    Taylor's Avocado
    Taylor's Mr. Taylor

My favorite remains Musgo Real - all the others are very good as well, though don't seem to offer the same 'closeness of shave' as the Musgo.

I'm also not a big fan of the Proraso - I've found the shave to be somewhat mediocre.

Panzer

19. Horace

Horace Senior member

For all I know Trumpers & Truefitt are made in the same place, but I recently started using Truefitt stuff (esp. the stuff in the tube -- good for travel I thought), and it just doesn't work as well as the Trumpers. Of course, I'm using trumpers cake soap -- Sandlewood, which I've been using for about 20 years, but still.

Maybe I'm not adding enough water to the Truefitt stuff -- I use a brush and put the cream from the tube into my hand and mush it around a bit. Maybe I should start travelling with a shaving bowl too.

20. water

water Senior member

I consider Truefitt cream top notch. I have never tried the tubes but I own tubs of the Trafalgar, Grafton, and Rose. All of them are fantastic.