1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Scotch Whisky 15 Years and Under

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Augusto86, Aug 27, 2007.

1. zatarregaza

zatarregaza Senior member

Not to be a pedant, but this has gone on for far too long: it's Johnnie Walker, not Johnny Walker.

I'm the same way too. Corrected the spelling above.

Thanks.

2. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

[​IMG]

Tomintoul is fantastic. Highly recommended.

3. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

[​IMG]

Tomintoul is fantastic. Highly recommended.

Hmm, not familiar with that. What's it like?

4. dokelroth

dokelroth Senior member

I like Laphroig and Caol Ila.

5. olemungu

olemungu Active Member

i like highland park, craggenmore.

6. MattL

MattL New Member

7. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Hmm, not familiar with that. What's it like?

I'm really terrible at describing scotch, I say stuff like "Dude, it's fucking smooth." Or stuff equally as descriptive. All I can say is, dude, it's fucking smooth.

8. injung

injung Senior member

Macallan cask strength, neat, with some cool filtered water (the amount depends on how strong you like your drink)

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

As an side question, what's the absolute easiest to drink whiskey/scotch out there? I'd like to acquire a taste for it, but I think I need to start gradually as I don't really drink liquor. A recommended drinking method (ice? a little water? what kind of glass?) would be appreciated as well.
    You might try Scapa 12, a single malt from Orkney. Really smooth and easy to drink (some say too easy). BevMo carries it. For drinking methods, in Winter I prefer it neat with just a splash of water. In Summer, over a couple rocks. Always in a heavy lo-ball glass.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Speaking of Johnnie Walker, I used to swig those little bottles of Red Label almost every day, sneaking a convenient sip in a bathroom.

11. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Speaking of Johnnie Walker, I used to swig those little bottles of Red Label almost every day, sneaking a convenient sip in a bathroom.

I carry a flask full of Cragganmore or Macallan on those cold, wintry days when a wee nip is enough to warm the body.

12. TCN

TCN Senior member

I do the same - a little hunting flask with Craggenmore for cold days afield (after the doubles are put away naturally ;-) ).

I think Craggenmore is a pleasant, lighter tasting Scotch for someone new to single malts, and it won't break the bank.

13. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Didn't read the whole thread but I love the Talisker 10. Peaty and yummy.

The best way to develop a taste for scotch is to cut it with water. Or just leave more for the rest of us.

14. chas

chas Senior member

I didn't read the whole thread either but +1 that Craggamore is a great mild scotch for the money. My personal favorite right now is Clynleish but I am also a big fan of Springbank.

15. ceaton

ceaton Senior member

British Columbia by day, Washington by mail.
    I've been really enjoying the Arberlour a'bunadh recently...

16. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

The only ones I would reccomend that haven't been posted are:

Talisker 10 (I prefer the 18 though)
    Bowmore 12 and 15
    Chivas 12

17. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

If anyone is taken aback by how sharp the Macallan is, give it time to breathe. Uncork the bottle every few days for about 15 minutes at a time. In a couple of weeks you'll have a remarkably smoother scotch.

I'll second the recs for Oban, Cragganmore, and Caol Ila.

19. CrocsRock

CrocsRock Senior member

My fave right now is probably Glen Garioch 15 (not so much their 10).

I've also had a Bruichladdich 10 and a couple Balvenies that I quite liked. My 'flask' though is a small bottle of Fireball on my desk. I actually like the damn stuff, and I don't feel bad taking a wee nip out of a $10 bottle (as opposed to taking a wee nip out of an $80 bottle of Glenmorangie or something).

I've also actually held on to the boxes of every bottle of scotch I've ever purchased. Mighty fine collection so far that I'm just a little proud of.

20. evo.devo

evo.devo New Member

My top picks at the moment: Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig CS, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin, Highland Park 12, Aberlour a'bunadh You might also check www.maltmadness.com for a thorough list with tasting notes.