• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Scotch Whisky 15 Years and Under

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
12 years old. Blended from many of the malts praised here. Always consistently excellently good.

YES! This does remind me that Cardhu 12 and Caol Ila 12 should also be on the list.

Originally Posted by Manton
The only Scotch anyone needs.

NO!

Best,
Huntsman

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcusey
In the olden days, Canadian whisky used to be made from a high percentage of rye. No longer. The straight whisky in the CC blend is probably made mostly from corn or wheat, to which is added a good percentage of grain neutral spirits. Some boutique Canadians, like Lot 40, have lots of rye in them, but virtually all of the big brands do not.

I read something from a Scotch author to the effect that the first time he really felt like an expert about Scotch was when he first spelled Bunnahabhain correctly without having to look it up. Me, I just checked the bottle to be sure. If you like Bunnahabhain, you'll probably also like Bruichladdich, at least the standard bottlings, which are unpeated. It's really good stuff. Bruichladdich has been experimenting with peat recently, too: the Octomore, which is by far the peatiest whisky made on Islay or anywhere else in memory, is currently aging in Bruichladdich's warehouses (except for the portion of it that has gone into the 3-D 2 and 3 and other specialty bottlings).

Damn jcusey, I went and read the side of my CC bottle. No mention of rye! You might be right. I'll also look for Bruichladdich this weekend. Thanks.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I've really began to love scotch - but I don't have the money to go sampling all the different malts and hating some of them. I like Glenlivet and Bowmore - but I want to try some other ones.

Any suggestions?

I'm a newbie to the scotching as well, but I've tried quite a few recently, and my favorites under 15 years is Glenrothes 1991 vintage (bottled in 2005). It's very smooth, pleasing caramel aroma and is beyond pleasant (being summer may help as well; I can see how a peatier would be more enticing in the colder months). Slightly on the pricier side, but I do recommend it highly, from a beginner's perspective. I've become a huge fan of Glenrothes as a result and I will be popping open their 1972 vintage in the next month or so.

... Of course, you may need to take this with a grain of salt, since Macallan and Glenlivet 12 does nothing for me, despite the fact that I actually like the peaty ones like Laphroigs, Talisker and Lagavulin.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
CC isn't a pure rye, but it is the closest thing that most bars will have.

usually I drink rittenhouse rye, but I like old overholt as well. don't even waste your time with jim beam rye - it is harsh and pretty awful. anyway a real rye manhattan with a dash of campari instead of regular bitters is pretty much perfect.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
I'm a newbie to the scotching as well, but I've tried quite a few recently, and my favorites under 15 years is Glenrothes 1991 vintage (bottled in 2005). It's very smooth, pleasing caramel aroma and is beyond pleasant (being summer may help as well; I can see how a peatier would be more enticing in the colder months). Slightly on the pricier side, but I do recommend it highly, from a beginner's perspective. I've become a huge fan of Glenrothes as a result and I will be popping open their 1972 vintage in the next month or so.
Interestingly, Glenrothes is where Hilditch & Key had or have (very debatable) their RTW shirt factory. I think Scotland would be a great place for a tour of distilleries and cashmere houses.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thepataphysician
CC isn't a pure rye, but it is the closest thing that most bars will have.

To be honest, most mass-market Canadians have very little character of any sort at all. As I wrote, there's probably precious little rye in Canadian Club or most other Canadians. Smaller volume products like Forty Creek and Lot 40 will have much more, although they're not commonly-seen. If you want rye character and the bar you're at doesn't have straight rye, a high-rye bourbon like Wild Turkey, Old Grand-Dad, or Bulleit is your best bet. Wild Turkey also has a straight rye that's very good, although you don't see it that often.

usually I drink rittenhouse rye, but I like old overholt as well. don't even waste your time with jim beam rye - it is harsh and pretty awful. anyway a real rye manhattan with a dash of campari instead of regular bitters is pretty much perfect.
Interestingly, Old Overholt and Jim Beam Rye are produced in the same stills using the same mashbill and aged in the same barrels in the same warehouses for the same length of time. I actually like Jim Beam Rye, although its character is noticeably different from Old Overholt. In addition to the aforementioned WT Rye, there's also Sazerac Rye (6 years old and very good), Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (13 years old and excellent), and the Sazerac 18 year old (just fantastic). I have read recently that WT is going to introduce a 6 year old Russel's Reserve Rye soon, designed to compete with Sazerac. I will be trying that one, too.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I hope none of you are making your Manhattans with Scotch whiskey.
That would be a Rob Roy.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by life_interrupts
That would be a Rob Roy.

And a waste of money...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Springbank 10 is worth a look - and taste. Light floral and peaty all at the same time.

doink

Reaction score
I'll add another vote for Oban, best way to describe the flavour is accessible.

On Canadian rye, other options are Wisers Special Old or Alberta Springs.

One to stay away from is Glen Breton. It is Canada's only "Canadian Single Malt Whisky". It is relatively flavourless and overpriced.

Tyto

Reaction score
I'll second the MacAllan 12, and add Balvenie 12 and 15 as extremely approachable. I just wouldn't give an Islay to a newcomer to scotch, unless he really likes Booker's or cask-strength ryes.

Johnnie Black has much to recommend it--and it's my standby when "out on the town" (as if that ever happens anymore)--though I'd probably give something like Pinch to a newcomer first, were I to start him with a blend, just because it's more approachable.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mac 12

519475316_5bef34b668.jpg

zatarregaza

Reaction score
I tried a few this weekend. After having been to a Johnnie Walker-sponsored event last Spring, I look forward to trying different scotches. I don't know the malt, mixes, etc. I just want to see what appeals to my taste buds, then I'll go back and find out more about them.
teacha.gif
I started out with the standard Johnnie Walker Black. Not bad. Had it before, so I knew what I was getting.
plain.gif
I asked a friend of a friend in our group and he thought I might try a Dewars. Yeah, not really impressive either.
worship.gif
Finally, I asked the bartender when she had a chance to venture out from behind the bar. She recommended the Macallan 12. I imagine she thought I wasn't ready for the Macallan 20 that she also mentioned, since I was asking her some pretty juvenile questions. Having lived in Spain I developed a taste for sherry, so maybe I was able to glean the sherry from it. I remember it was STRONG. My first sip was nice and full. I swear it made my eyes water! They have a very informative site as well - http://www.themacallan.com. I love sites like this one that explain not just their specific product but how their product fits into the genre overall.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be a pedant, but this has gone on for far too long: it's Johnnie Walker, not Johnny Walker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics