1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best San Francisco (or Bay Area) Tailor??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by answerman, Nov 23, 2009.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I still vote for Oxford. See my earlier posts. But, the last two jobs I gave them were late. So allow plenty of time.

2. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Franz is great.

Has anyone worked w/ Escobar Brothers? They quoted me $350 for CMT, canvased.

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

Victor's Tailors on Sutter St. (391 Sutter on 3rd floor) was recommended to me by Tom Mahon of English Cut. I had a RTW jacket shortened and taken in. Work was pretty good, but not especially cheap. Still a slight sleeve pitch issue, but fit of the original jacket was pretty poor, so I'm OK with it.

Is he the Russian guy.

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

Bob is in the process of doing a suit for me which I bought for very little.
    So far so good. I may have him remove some padding from the very soft
    but extended shoulders. He's done this before successfully. He is behind
    schedule with the pants which have too long a rise. He's also done this before
    for me very well. But he's not the go to guy to have something done quickly-
    unless it's simple and you make it clear that you need it by a date certain!

5. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Somebody care to post a picture or two of the buttonholes done by any of the recommended tailors?

6. parider

parider New Member

Reviving this thread. I am looking for a tailor near palo alto i.e. on the SF Peninsula. I have used Cassara Brothers a bit but also looking for other options. I've read about Ricardo in sunnyvale and Bob in Menlo Park. Are these two still the go to guys? Looking for the whole gammut of tailoring. Thank you so much.

7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

What are you trying to have done? I've used Bob Stankovic before but I would not use him for certain things.

8. parider

parider New Member

Fairly simple things for now. Hem pants, shorten suit sleeves, add buttons for braces. Later on will add working button holes for surgeons cuffs, tuxedo needs to tighten the suit waist to get a better fit. Those kinds of things. Thanks!

9. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Stankovic can do all those but I'd be careful about letting him shorten sleeves by the shoulder.

I've had a bad job regarding that issue.

10. parider

parider New Member

Thanks for the advice. Shouldn't need to shorten from the shoulder since only 1 cm of shortening needed hopefully. Anyone else you would recommend down on the peninsula?

11. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Unfortunately, that's the only tailor out in that area I've used.

12. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

I need help! I've been going to Franz for the past five years and have no complaints. He is expensive, but the work has been excellent. However, it seems he is no longer around--his place on Geary has been cleaned out and the phone is disconnected. Other than Oxford, who is still around in the city (or close enough to it) and does the best work?

Thanks in advance....

13. AHS

AHS Senior member

FWIW, I used to go to Franz but stopped about two years ago. Just too expensive.

Since then I've been going to Roberto's Tailor shop located above Cable Car Clothes. Very reasonable prices and turnaround time. I try to work directly with the owner (Roberto, I assume), even though he's kind of a grump. :) I've been very happy with them.

https://m.yelp.com/biz/robertos-tailor-shop-san-francisco

AHS

14. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

The last time I saw him he said that the rent was going up and he was moving out. He gave me his cell phone to contact him and I thought he was going to work out of his house or something like that.

15. zeero3

zeero3 Senior member

If you find out where he's working, please do update this thread!

16. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Franz is now working in another part of the city. I spoke to him last week and he takes appointments only or call him in advance to make sure he is there. Franz is ok with me giving out his number to those interested in his services. Please message me as I'm not comfortable just posting it here unless you guys think its ok.

17. parider

parider New Member

So having revived this thread a little while ago, I can say without hesitation that the tailor I recommend is Ricardo in sunnyvale (ricardo's tailoring). Having now used both Bob and Ricardo as well as cassara brothers. Ricardo has impressed me the most. He doesn't just do the simple bring in the chest, let out or tighten the waist, hem the pants and alter sleeve length alterations but realy has an eye as to how the suit should drape and makes adjustments in a very thoughtful way.

The most impressive thing for me is that he was able to diagnose what was wrong with a kiton that I had purchased that was just visually off. He performed the work expeditiously. But when I went back to pick up the garment, upon rewearing the suit, he was not happy with the back and wanted to tighten it up a bit. I had not even noticed this and would have been happy with what he had all ready done. Ricardo insisted on taking it back to get it perfect.

This devotion to perfection is what I am most impressed about. The pride in craftsmanship reminds me of shokunin which I observed in Japan which is the absolute devotion to trying to be better in one's craft. Hope this helps others. Ricardo's tailoring in sunnyvale.

1 person likes this.