• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Samurai Movie

tljenkin

Reaction score
What is the best samurai movie that you walk away from feeling like the samurai's are badasses with high moral character besides the Seven Samurai?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
By far, "Hunters in the Dark" directed by Hideo Gosha and starring Tatsuya Nakadai. Not easy to find, but cinematically and story-wise it is stunning, a very layered story and some of the most amazingly beautiful shots I've ever seen in a samurai film. It's from the late 70s but doesn't look dated in any way. The cool thing is that this film shows their 'morality' at odds, not so cut/dry.

A bit cheesier but still a good watch is the "Samurai" series starring Mifune Toshiro about legendary swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. It is from the 50s (I think it won an academy award for best foreign film back then) and is a 3 part trilogy. There's a certain campiness and melodrama to it, but what do you expect from a 1950s Japanese film. Still very fun, almost soap-opera like. It really plays up the "morality" issue of samurais, in a gunslinger kinda way.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you could sit through Seven Samurai perhaps you will like the 4+ hour epic The 47 Ronin.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Shogun Assassin !
But only because Ninja Scroll doesn't count.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean chambara film or a film set in the old days (Edo and prior)? Not a fan of prior but like the latter. Personally I would not categorise most of Kurosawa's period films as the former, although Sanjuro is close... One of the best - and most realistic probably - is a modern film, Tasogare Seibei. But I digress. I agree that the "Samurai Trilogy" on everyone's favourite super kenshi, Musashi, starring everyone's favourite actor, Mifune is much more chambara than serious film. P.s. a huge chunk of Mifune's non-Kurosawa directed filmography is basically much closer to the pulp film chambara side of things, although the vast majority are not nearly as good as his films done under "Tenno"
biggrin.gif
P.s.2 I readily admit I take cinema too seriously, so I am sorry in advance. I'll admit that I can be a picky bastard
blush.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if you want absolute badass, but not necessarily the high moral character (the main character is pretty much a psychopath), I would go with Sword of Doom.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, reread your post. Just sounds like you are more in to the equivalent of westerns in reality, chambara films. Serves me right for replying while sleepy. Don't have much to add which is useful as I don't usually watch that stuff...

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tasogare Teibei (Twilight Samurai) and Samurai Fiction.

Oldboy

Reaction score
Not the best, but I really liked Takeshi Kitano's take on Zatoichi.

Reaction score
ghostdog04sb2.jpg
and then get the soundtrack recline your seat and drive around real slow-like smoke pouring out your window

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Tasogare Teibei (Twilight Samurai) .

a great movie, might be a bit too "quiet" for one to leave thinking it was badass.

Kitano's "zatoichi" is great, as are all the original films from the 60s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads