• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best running shoes for flat feet?

aguydude

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've recently decided to take up running to increase my overall fitness level. I've been told that because I have fairly mild-severe flat feet, unless I choose the proper shoes, my knees will go to ****. I know there are quite a few runners on this board, any recommendations (preferably from personal experience) would be great! Thanks.

bob99

Reaction score
I'm also flat-footed, and the only shoe you need to know about is the Brooks BEAST. It helps a great deal. I was fitted for it at the Running Room, a professional running shop where they properly size you for a shoe.

I don't run as much as I used to, but these shoes helped greatly. I highly recommend them!

A link to the Brooks site
http://www.brooksrunning.com/product/1100521D/Beast

Bob

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
You need a motion control shoe. I'm sure others will post suggestions to specific models.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob99
I'm also flat-footed, and the only shoe you need to know about is the Brooks BEAST. It helps a great deal. I was fitted for it at the Running Room, a professional running shop where they properly size you for a shoe.

I don't run as much as I used to, but these shoes helped greatly. I highly recommend them!

A link to the Brooks site
http://www.brooksrunning.com/product/1100521D/Beast

Bob

+ 1 on the Beast. I use 'em with my orthotics and they're great.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used motion control shoes with orthotics before because of my extremely flat feet. It might just be me, but none of it really helps. The higher arch support just winds up rubbing my "arch" raw and the shoes are pretty heavy because of all the extra support and bulk. I tried getting some lightweight running flats and running on the balls of my feet more and it definitely helped.

BTW, the shoes I've tried were Mizunos and New Balances with Superfeet orthotics. They were all fitted on me at professional running stores.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
I've used motion control shoes with orthotics before because of my extremely flat feet. It might just be me, but none of it really helps. The higher arch support just winds up rubbing my "arch" raw and the shoes are pretty heavy because of all the extra support and bulk. I tried getting some lightweight running flats and running on the balls of my feet more and it definitely helped.

BTW, the shoes I've tried were Mizunos and New Balances with Superfeet orthotics. They were all fitted on me at professional running stores.

This may be a dumb question but were your orthotics custom?

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm cursed with flat and skinny feet (B width) and my Nike Equalons have been good to me. Again, the best advice, get into a store that specializes in running and be very specific in terms of your feet and fitness goals. A good sales associate will get you fitted out well. What works for me won't work for you.

PolePosition

Reaction score
I use Vibram Five Fingers Treksports. The Bikila model is similar. My feet are more mild flat feet than the moderate-severe but I also do run with a mid-foot stride, which is probably what you'd be running with as well. I find these to be far more supportive than any running shoe I've used in the past (I used to go to the running stores and get fitted as well, before switching over to the VFF's).

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm also a fan of the lunar glides... they work pretty well for my flat feet

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
Superfeet insoles.

It is funny how the best answer sometimes goes completely unnoticed.

Superfeet Blue is all you need. Go to a store and try them on a bunch of different shoes and you will know what I mean.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the orthotics or insoles i used were superfeet orange and i also tried green

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads