• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best RTW brand for sloped shoulders?

cpadude

Reaction score
My shoulders slope down enough to the point that most RTW suits do not fit correctly. The shoulder ends up looking fine, but because the my shoulders slope, fabric that was supposed to be on my shoulder ends up bunching up further down my back. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of issue and has found a RTW brand that had shoulders that better fit the contours of a sloped shoulder.

Much Thanks.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue.

There are several options.

One is to have a tailor build up the shoulder.

The other thing to note, however, is how broad your shoulders are. Mine are both narrow and sloping. Thus more narrow shouldered suits and shirts leave less material to sag.

The other thing to decide is what kind of shoulder profile you want -- a horizontal shoulder line or some kind of angle. A brand with a more rigid chest and a strong shoulder, like Fioravanti or Brioni, will make you look more like the executive warrior, while a softly padded 'natural shoulder' will leave you more swallow-shouldered, which has been in fashion at times, at least in the 1840s
smile.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mack's hit on what I think is the fundamental issue is - do you want to hide the sloping or let your jackets reflect it.

My shoulders aren't actually sloping but neither are they hugely built up. I tend to prefer a reasonably strong shoulder and go for Brioni and Ede & Ravenscroft, both of which disguise the lack of Soph-level hours at the gym without looking like a gridiron reject! RLPL is a bit less "powerful" but still would disguise the slope while fitting comfortably in my experience.

If you choose to simply have your jackets reflect the slope but fit well then the softer makers will do you well, but RTW is unlikely to fit you well from these makers.

If the slope is really significant, then bespoke becomes a better option since even a strong-shouldered rtw jacket will collapse on your frame.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can 'adjust' the slope of your shoulders, through exercise. I know I have. This has made a big difference, in the way I wear jackets. Otherwise, as others have stated before me: decide which route you want to take: either to allow the slope of your shoulders to rule, or to pursue artificial or natural means, to straighten their slope.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nhumorjoan.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaia

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have similiar shoulders and what I have found is:

Isaia - Vincent model , Belvest , and Brioni - Nomentano(sp) model.

RLPL 3 button also is well in the Madison model

For some reason Oxxford needs a lot of alterations in the shoulder for me.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
try made 2 measure or custom made.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo suits have the least amount of shoulder padding of any RTW suit Ive ever tried. Might want to look into them.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
You can 'adjust' the slope of your shoulders, through exercise. I know I have. This has made a big difference, in the way I wear jackets. Otherwise, as others have stated before me: decide which route you want to take: either to allow the slope of your shoulders to rule, or to pursue artificial or natural means, to straighten their slope.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...nhumorjoan.jpg

I can't imagine an exercise regime that would build my very sloped shoulders up to normal levels - I'd pretty much have to grow a bicep muscle on the top of each. Taking that approach is a recipe for frustration and failure. Sometimes you have to work with what you have. It's an interesting question as to whether it's better to conceal or show sloping shoulders. I have tried both, and I really can't decide. I suspect a little bit of padding is OK, but building them up to almost level feels and looks all wrong.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I wrote was that you could 'adjust' your shoulders' slope, via exercise. I believe this to be true. I know that I have. For me personally, it was more frustrating to look at a shoulderline I didn't like, rather than to exercise it right here at home, to make my shoulders more 'jacket' friendly. But every case is different.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Isaia

You think so? Isaia's have probably the least shoulder sculpting of any RTW suit currently made.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
You think so? Isaia's have probably the least shoulder sculpting of any RTW suit currently made.

Yes - that's the point. Minimal padding is IMO the best option for sloped shoulder. I think compensating the slope with a built shoulder is a real mistake

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - that's the point. Minimal padding is IMO the best option for sloped shoulder. I think compensating the slope with a built shoulder is a real mistake

This should be interesting. I'm not sure I agree.

For instance, here is very minimally padded jacket, one on a chap with sloping shoulders, the other on a chap with much squarer shoulders. I think the sloping shoulder dude looks pretty ridiculous.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ I think this sums it up perfectly. The guy on the right looks great. I don't care much for his db jacket but the sloped shoulders are perfect and very natural

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I think this sums it up perfectly. The guy on the right looks great. I don't care much for his db jacket but the sloped shoulders are perfect and very natural

They are two different guys. The guy on the right has sloped shoulders, the guy on the left does not. Both jackets have little padding.

IMO the sloping on the right looks silly and exaggerated. I guess it's just a matter of taste, but I think heavily sloped shoulders should be built up with padding. I don't like the look of the guy on the right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads