• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best restaurant advice ever?

fdbaker

Reaction score
From Frank Bruni's last piece as the NY Times restaurant critic:

IS THERE ANY BEST, SAFEST WAY TO NAVIGATE A MENU?

Scratch off the appetizers and entrees that are most like dishes you’ve seen in many other restaurants, because they represent this one at its most dutiful, conservative and profit-minded. The chef’s heart isn’t in them.

Scratch off the dishes that look the most aggressively fanciful. The chef’s vanity — possibly too much of it — spawned these.

Then scratch off anything that mentions truffle oil.

Choose among the remaining dishes.

I plan to follow this advice and see how it works out.

http://events.nytimes.com/2009/08/26...ws/26rest.html

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great article. Too bad I'm moving from NYC this week.
frown.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
frown.gif

Where ya going, and why?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frown.gif

Ummm, is this news going to affect your food pron production company?

K

lpresq

Reaction score
In KC, Bourdain listed few things to remember when selecting entrees.

RE: Sushi

Fish/Seafood is delivered on Monday and Thursday. Consequently, avoid sushi restaurants on Monday b/c you will likely be eating fish that was delivered on the previous Thursday.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Where ya going, and why?
The great state of Washington, DC. The pastures seem to be greener there.
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Ummm, is this news going to affect your food pron production company? K
Our new place has a gas stove, and there's no way in hell I'm leaving my cooking equipment behind. DNW Food Pron Co. lives on.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our new place has a gas stove, and there's no way in hell I'm leaving my cooking equipment behind. DNW Food Pron Co. lives on.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

inlove.gif

K

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

worship.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpresq
In KC, Bourdain listed few things to remember when selecting entrees.

RE: Sushi

Fish/Seafood is delivered on Monday and Thursday. Consequently, avoid sushi restaurants on Monday b/c you will likely be eating fish that was delivered on the previous Thursday.

This is wildly inaccurate, if not an outright lie. It does make for great reading though.

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
This is wildly inaccurate, if not an outright lie. It does make for great reading though.

Please expand. Also, Im sure all would appreciate any tips you would be willing to share as a professional in the field.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Please expand. Also, Im sure all would appreciate any tips you would be willing to share as a professional in the field.

Most restaurants (talking anything respectable, not any ****** grease shack in the world) are getting their fish orders every second day now, and there is a bigger emphasis on quality fresh ingredients in general than there was 10 years ago when Bourdain wrote his book. Not only that, but even the people that DO get fish twice a week aren't all on the same schedule---- fish distributors can't distribute to every restaurant in the city in only two days--- so the Monday/Thursday thing only applies to restaurants that actually order on those days. Others order on different days. On top of that, it's relatively well established that Bourdain embellished the truth and exaggerated on occasion to sell books--- not to say everything he says is false or incorrect or even exaggerated, just saying that certain things (like the fish, like every cook in the best dining places being high at work, like etc etc) were blown out of proportion, in my experience..

I only have one tip or rule for dining. Eat at establishments where you feel you can respect the kitchen, respect the staff, respect the chef, and where they will all return that same respect. If that happens, the rest of the stuff shouldn't ever be an issue.

lpresq

Reaction score
Keep in mind the locale. NYC and Chicago are major distributors. In Indy, sushi restaurants seem to get their fish out of Chicago on Monday and Thursday.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Keep in mind the locale. NYC and Chicago are major distributors. In Indy, sushi restaurants seem to get their fish out of Chicago on Monday and Thursday.

crazy.gif
Where are you getting sushi in Indy?
There was one place I used to go to up on 86th, but most of the rest were scary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads