Best Rapper Ever? Redux

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jpeirpont, Jul 1, 2010.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I like Andre 3K but does he really have more songs? Then again Kanye is only about to release his 5th album.

Maybe Big L, never got too familiar with his short career. I'd probably put Kanye over LL when it is all said and done. LL was good but he has been crap for most of the past decade. I was never a big fan of Slick Rick as well, I may put Kanye over him if not on the same level.

That's just me though.

I also feel that if Mos Def is in the list, Talib Kweli should be in there too.

2. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Senior member

3. Riio

Riio Senior member

No Kanye West on the list? I know he gets a lot of shit for his actions outside the studio but he ist easily top ten, if not top 5. College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation were instant classics. I probably wouldn't put him as the best but he needs recognition to be on the poll at least.

i feel Kanye makes better songs than a lot of rappers on this list. his music has pathos, it's constantly evolving ("flashing lights" would've been unthinkable during "the college dropout" era), and a lot of times it's just more interesting than what other rappers put out (dude samples king crimson on his latest single).

as a straight up rapper though, i don't think Kanye's even close to GOAT

4. dusty

dusty Senior member

My favorite rapper is Vast Aire but most people don't even know who he is since he isn't famous, so I don't bother bringing him up in conversations like this.

Whoa me too (yes homo)

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Whoa me too (yes homo)
    We would be boyz in real life. Archer & Vast Aire. [​IMG] Vast Aire has the most creative lyrics in my mind. He's also great with metaphors that only hit you a few seconds after you hear them. I like how he starts a metaphor, raps for a few seconds, and then finishes it a few lines later without a hiccup. His verse on Ridiculoid (off of Cold Vein) blows my mind every time. It starts at 3:18. Or probably my favorite rap song of all time, brilliant verse at 3:28. God, what a refreshing style compared to most people on the poll list. "I rest my head on 115 But miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean And death is the median And purgatory is the mode that we settle in" :bows: Another great song and verse: "And you don't know the alphabet, but you still talking Well I got a blade too And I know it's sharp enough to cut you They call me starvin' Harlem, scissor tongue, I lick tissue" "Heads or tails The last cat who tried to see me, he now gotta touch braille" I gotta admit, all these are made infinitely better by the brilliant production of El P. Probably my favorite producer of all time, at least at his peak. Vordul Mega's verse on that last link is also worth listening to just for his flow.

6. XeF4

XeF4 Senior member

Voted Tupac, can also see a strong arguement for biggie.

I wouldn't say that Scarface was the best, but I have always felt that he deserves more credit.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Jay, all day, everyday.

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Why no Gucci Mane or Mike Jones?

I don't know the first thing about rap but I've sort of got a connection to these two.

Don't they even rate a place in the poll?

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I don't know the first thing about rap

Pretty much answers the question.

11. closetmess

closetmess Senior member

I don't know the first thing about rap but I've sort of got a connection to these two.

Don't they even rate a place in the poll?

Yes, they are right next to Rick Ross. But, given Rick Ross' busy calendar, he might push ahead of them on the list shortly.

http://calendar.ytmnd.com/

[​IMG]

12. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Who on the list do you think Kanye is better than ?

I'm cool with swapping andre3000 with Ye, but i think andre has much more songs out.

I like Kanye, but at no time should someone consider swapping Andre3000 for Kanye. Lyrically and content wise, this wouldn't even be remotely close

13. dmash

dmash Senior member

Are we talking lyricists? How about Papoose? What about Cassidy? What about Fabolous? This poll is whack. Slaughterhouse is a standout that killed it in the past year. 'Microphone' is my favorite song from them. EDIT: and I just noticed Wayne isn't on there? Come on, this is ridiculous. I don't even like the guy that much and his new shit isn't very good, but his stuff of older years? Lyrical genius. Not to mention the unbelievable amount of mixtapes he put out. The majority of this poll seems like it's a bunch of whack ass white kids that listen to hollywood rappers and know nothing about true hip hop. and that's coming from a white guy.

14. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Are we talking lyricists? How about Papoose? What about Cassidy? What about Fabolous? These poll is whack.

Slaughterhouse is a standout that killed it in the past year. 'Microphone' is my favorite song from them.

EDIT: and I just noticed Wayne isn't on there? Come on, this is ridiculous. I don't even like the guy that much and his new shit isn't very good, but his stuff of older years? Lyrical genius. Not to mention the unbelievable amount of mixtapes he put out.

The majority of this poll seems like it's a bunch of whack ass white kids that listen to hollywood rappers and know nothing about true hip hop. and that's coming from a white guy.

This has to be some of the dumbest shit, I ever heard. No need to respond to musical commentary. But I'll say, I created the poll and I am as far from white as they come.

15. dmash

dmash Senior member

This has to be some of the dumbest shit, I ever heard. No need to respond to musical commentary. But I'll say, I created the poll and I am as far from white as they come.

LMAO