• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Quality All-Around Lace Up Boots for Under $500

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your favorite quality boots for under half a grand? The question is deliberately open-ended, with a few criteria in mind: 1. They have laces 2. Under $500 3. Quality in construction, materials, and durability Pediwear has the C&J Coniston for £276.60 ($431) that I'm leaning towards as the best sub $500 boot. Are there better quality boots out there for less? (I have seen some recommendations for the AS Culford - £212.95, $332.24 US @ Shoe Healer - but see criticisms of quality outside of their "premier" line ). Are there any models by big timer bootmakers you can find at a discount? Personal favorites/recommendations on places to source boots - outside of ebay, plal, pediwear, and sf - are very welcome. Thank you! C&J Coniston:
cj_coniston_3.jpg

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Cheaney FS029.
I've seen rave reviews, but they are a little informal for my taste and I don't think the build quality of Cheaney is on par with C&J - though not far off. Also, for anyone that is interested, Franco's has one pair of size 10 Rider boots left in black shell on sale for $499.90 (just made it!).
50716m.jpg
http://www.francos.com/items/item.asp?sku5=50716 I really like the profile of the wingtip boot @ Leffot, but doubt I will ever find it sub $500.
DSC_00072.jpg

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cant go wrong with an Indy Boot,
gear_indyboots1.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wolverine has a 1000 Mile Boot wingtip boot. It's a little bit blobby though

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209
I managed to get the Brooks Brother's Peal Cordovan Boot for $477.
Well done.
Originally Posted by WBaker
Cant go wrong with an Indy Boot
Not a fan of Indys or Kathadins although I can see the appeal. I do like Alden's Snuff Suede PTBoot for Leather Soul much better:
ssf1.jpg
ssf2.jpg
ssf3.jpg
Originally Posted by jrd617
Wolverine has a 1000 Mile Boot wingtip boot. It's a little bit blobby though
Those are interesting. I was expecting something much clunkier, although the wingtip profile is a little too grand ole opry for me.
wolverine_1000mileboot1_1.jpg
wolverine_1000mileboot5_1.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
I believe that AS will do a boot mto to premier standards for around $500. AS's other lines a great. It's just that some of the shoes in the Classics line have corrected grain. But not all of them.

I'm surprised Ron's calfskin boots are over 5 now. Alden's calfskins are under that.

And there's always eBay.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coniston beats all the boots in this thread. all of them

AE7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Coniston beats all the boots in this thread. all of them

Agree with one reservation - they'd look odd with a suit or trousers. Not like some other boots on more elegant lasts.

Try to get boots on the shoehealer, not sure if they stock CJ's though.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Conistons are pretty sweet. I'm eyeing something in that similar sleek pattern, but perhaps without the cap toe.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about the C&J Snowdon? It's waterPROOF (not resistant), which is very practical.
cj_snowdon_2.jpg
item1-108.jpeg
snowdon-oak.jpg
Also, AE has a perf cap toe boot called the Bayfield out now:
1225638-p-DETAILED.jpg

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar
Agree with one reservation - they'd look odd with a suit or trousers. Not like some other boots on more elegant lasts.

Shoehealer definitely carries C&J. It's not on their website, but if you e-mail them, Richard will give you the lowdown and sell you those.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
What about the C&J Snowdon? It's waterPROOF (not resistant), which is very practical.

I do not care for those AE Bayfields. The Snowdon definitely has perks for inclement weather, but it's side profile would leave me wanting for the refinement EG Galways. Any tips on how to find a pair of these on the cheap?

IMG_7348+-+Version+2.jpg

dsc_00161.jpg

Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
Shoehealer definitely carries C&J. It's not on their website, but if you e-mail them, Richard will give you the lowdown and sell you those.

Thanks for the tip.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar

I have a pair and I always wear them with trousers. They look odd with shorts, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads