• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Prices on Junghans Atomic Watches

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just very recently (like yesterday) become interested in atomic watches--those quartz watches that have a built-in receiver that picks up time signals and re-synchronizes the watch every few hours. This means that your watch is never more than about a 1/2-second away from the exact correct time. This I find extremely cool. I've discovered that probably the nicest of this genre are the Junghans models made in Germany. With that brand, you can get something that looks pretty good on the wrist, although not quite a full dress watch. So...does anyone know of a good source pricewise for this line of watches?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
I've just very recently (like yesterday) become interested in atomic watches--those quartz watches that have a built-in receiver that picks up time signals and re-synchronizes the watch every few hours. This means that your watch is never more than about a 1/2-second away from the exact correct time. This I find extremely cool. I've discovered that probably the nicest of this genre are the Junghans models made in Germany. With that brand, you can get something that looks pretty good on the wrist, although not quite a full dress watch. So...does anyone know of a good source pricewise for this line of watches?
Roger, I am also interested in an atomic watch. I would love for it to be solar powered and have a very easy to read dial. If I can't quickly and easily read the time down to the second then being so accurate is less attractive. I don't mind a sporty look, as I can use it for running and casual use. I know that just down the road from Denver there is an atomic broadcast station (Boulder or Golden perhaps?) but are they all over the world or can the watch pickup the Colorado signal from anywhere?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David,

Casio makes solar-powered atomic watches, but that may be too casual? Colorado's signal is what you use in the US, but Japan and the EU use different standards, and I don't think there is a single watch that will sync up to all of the standards --- they're usually set for a single market.

--Andre

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andre and David: The transmitter for North America is at Fort Collins (about 60 miles almost directly north of you, David), and it evidently has an effective range of about 1900 miles, giving access to the signal to just about all of the continental US (except Alaska) and all of Canada except for Newfoundland. The British and Europeans take their signals from a transmitter in Germany. Watches made for these two markets are not interchangeable because the signals from the two transmitters differ. (So don't buy from a British online seller, David!)

David, I fully and absolutely agree about the solar feature. That makes the whole deal even more cool. And they are available. Junghans does have some solar models, I believe. I've looked over the Casio offerings--they certainly provide all the features, including solar-powered batteries--but they really look like hell. I couldn't find one that I could bear wearing. A couple of the ladies' models came closest. However, in addition to their regular line, Junghans do make a less expensive line called Eurochron, and decent-looking atomics are also available from Oceanus and La Crosse (the latter very inexpensive). There may be others out there; I'm still looking. Here are a couple of U.S. websites I found that have quite a few:

http://www.allabouttime.net/Merchant...earch=overture

http://www.ewatches.com/Oceanus/inde...20061015163711

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
David, Casio makes solar-powered atomic watches, but that may be too casual? Colorado's signal is what you use in the US, but Japan and the EU use different standards, and I don't think there is a single watch that will sync up to all of the standards --- they're usually set for a single market. --Andre
Andre, I bought a Citizen solar watch in Tokyo around 6 years ago that is a fantastic casual watch. I have no problem with casual if it is very clear and easy to read. Roger, Go for the solar model! Next thing we will be going out and buying rocket kits and radio-controlled cars! (smiling)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads