• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best polish for AE Strand in walnut calf?

theriel

Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you all once again for your help in my previous crusade for a new pair of shoes. Ultimately I have decided to buy AE Strand in walnut calf. It seems, however, that it's only the beginning of my journey...

I have a question to all the owners of this pair of shoes or of any other shoes in the same colour... Which wax polish do you use? I am looking for the best colour match or slightly darker (to give the nice patina over time).

For black shoes I have very successfully used Saphir wax - but taking into account the multitude of brown shades I am totally lost...

Thank you for your time and help!

Best,
Theriel

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just use the polish AE sells since I wasn't sure where to find something else that would match.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just use the polish AE sells since I wasn't sure where to find something else that would match.

Same here. They had a sale on their site last month and I got the walnut polish, a cloth, brush, and shoe trees for about 39 bucks with shipping.

Edit: It's weird how much darker the color is on their site than in person.

Last edited:

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Would anyone trust a shoe shine/cobbler shop to shine/condition the Strand's in Walnut?

I have a pair and I've been debating going there - I have them do my black Park Avenues and my burnished calf Fifth Avenues, but was unsure if I should go with Walnut color shoes.

Thoughts?

theriel

Reaction score
@Texastyle - IMO in real life the colour looks *much* nicer. But it is true - I was surprised when I saw them at the store!

@CJG_NYC:
To be honest... I generally do not trust anyone to do the polishing/conditioning of my shoes. Firstly - I haven't come across anyone so trustworthy. Secondly - I try to use the top products (e.g. Saphir). I would worry that cobbler might want to decrease his operating costs by using sub-prime product. You might not see the difference initially - after some time you will. Thirdly - when I condition and/or polish the shoes I pay attention to the details and I know what exactly I am doing. I don't have this confidence regarding a cobbler...

Now, having said that - if there is (and I am sure there is) a really good cobbler who uses high quality products and who knows his stuff - I cannot see anything wrong with regularly using his services. Keep in mind, though, that "simple" black shoes are more forgiving in short-term than Walnut shoes with broguing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics