• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Point & Shoot / SLR type camera?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a good cross between a point & shoot / SLR camera? I like how sick SLR's are, but they're too bulky imo and not very easy to carry around. Looking for a high quality point & shoot I guess.

Was looking at getting a canon g12. Any have any recommendations?

AndyMG

Reaction score
I'm no camrea expert, but I think what you're describing is referred to as a 'bridge camera'.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nikon v1 & j1 are cool.
i have a leico d-lux that allows me to do some manual things when i don't want to take out my nikon slr...

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm no camrea expert, but I think what you're describing is referred to as a 'bridge camera'.

Awesome. Thanks. This will aid in my hunt!

aizan

Reaction score
mirrorless.

bluetree110

Reaction score
Sony NEX-5N sounds like what you want. A good blend of point and shoot and SLR. Or simply NEX-5 which is only 400$.

Last edited:

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sony NEX-5N sounds like what you want. A good blend of point and shoot and SLR. Price is 700$

Cool. Noted.

The g12 has got a lot of good reviews and is sub-$400. I was hoping to spend under $500.

Thanks for your reply

aizan

Reaction score
the fuji x10 is $500. i think it's the best executed fuji x-series so far, and the sensor is fairly good despite its small size. iso 400 looks ok.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm still very happy with my lumix lx5

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the fuji x10 is $500. i think it's the best executed fuji x-series so far, and the sensor is fairly good despite its small size. iso 400 looks ok.

+1. The X10 takes lovely photos. The hybrid viewfinder is not as good as the one in the X100, but then the X100 is a) twice the price; b) has a fixed lens (so no zoom); and c) is larger.

I took my X10 on a recent overseas trip and it served me very well. It's bigger than a point-and-shoot and the non-retractable lens means that it isn't compact, but it still fitted into a jacket pocket and took much, much better photos than a compact camera. Controls are great and it works well in auto, semi-manual and full manual modes. It turns on very quickly and shoots very quickly, too, which is great when taking family shots (as kids move so quickly!).

detonate

Reaction score
I got rid of the midpoint between P&S cameras and SLRs. I have a smartphone that takes pretty nice photos and I have an SLR for when I want quality photos.

You can always get an SLR with a 1.6 crop and a minimal zoom lens. Most of the big lenses you see people carrying are for crazy zooms. With the amount of pixels cameras have now, you can be zoomed out and have the photo cropped in a computer and it'll still look nice.

Also with the SLR, you can always upgrade to better lens with higher zooms. It'll last you longer in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads