1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Best players Currently in the NBA

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jpeirpont, Jul 16, 2006.

1. fairholme_wannabe

fairholme_wannabe Well-Known Member

If the Thunder were in a position to pick Griffin, I think you'd have to either have to eventually move Green to the bench to play as 6th man or trade him. Green is good but he isn't a talent like Griffin who is the clear-cut #1 in the draft (unless Rubio enters).

Plus he hustles:

The way Kyle Weaver has been playing, makes Green expendable, if you can get a really good defensive C (Tyson Chandler, anyone? Still confuesd by the rescind). That said, I don't see why Durant doesn't start at the 2, and Green at the 3, assuming Griffin is there. They can both play each of those positions well, and defend them well as well. That makes their lineup:

Westbrook
    Durant
    Green
    Griffin
    Krstic (Assuming Collison isn't resigned)

That lineup has lots of length.

2. bc78

bc78 Well-Known Member

The way Kyle Weaver has been playing, makes Green expendable, if you can get a really good defensive C (Tyson Chandler, anyone? Still confuesd by the rescind). That said, I don't see why Durant doesn't start at the 2, and Green at the 3, assuming Griffin is there. They can both play each of those positions well, and defend them well as well. That makes their lineup:

Westbrook
    Durant
    Green
    Griffin
    Krstic (Assuming Collison isn't resigned)

That lineup has lots of length.

I'd keep Green. He has proven he can play well in the NBA. All reports are that he is a good teammate too. OKC should try to get Rubio if he enters the draft. He has the potential to be really special. Plus as great as Westbrook is, he isn't a point guard, so I'd move him to the 2.

3. hammer07

hammer07 Well-Known Member

Durant is more suited to the 3. He can't keep up with the likes of Dwyane Wade playing guard and he isn't as effective on the boards. You need to build the team around Durant at the 3; not any other position. Westbrook can probably play the 2 in spurts but I wouldn't play him there full-time. One of the advantages he has right now is his size and playing SG turns that into a disadvantage. I think Sam Presti drafted him to be their PG of the future. Green is worth keeping and is a positive influence on the team but if they had to give up Green to get Griffin, I think you'd have to do it. Not that the Thunder needs help with attendance but having Griffin in OKC would be huge.
    Michael Beasley put up 26 and 12 just last year. He didn't shoot 60% but he also shot 3s. I agree Griffin's numbers are huge, but he's a man among boys right now, we'll see how he does against guys his size. I think he'll be good, but he's not going to score 22 on dunks and put backs in the NBA.
    Well Griffin probably won't put up 20 PPG his rookie season but he's developing an offensive repoitre beyond dunking. Rebounding numbers translate quite well in the NBA so I'd be quite willing to bet he'd put up 10+ RPG his first year. I'm quite sure he'll measure out to be somewhat taller than Beasley. He's stronger and is more explosive off the ground. Also, Griffin isn't a tweener like Beasley. I think Griffin will end up somewhere in between Beasley and Durant in terms of overall production.

4. gumercindo

gumercindo Well-Known Member

OKC has exactly one win against a quality team (Dallas) since Durant has been out. The dude shoots almost 49% from the field, above any number Kobe Bryant has ever shot.

IMO, Blake Griffin is a major talent. He'll strictly be a power forward but there's probably no 4 or 5 in the league right now outside of Dwight Howard with Griffin's combination of athleticism and strength. He obviously isn't as tall but he has a better skillset. If the Thunder were in a position to pick Griffin, I think you'd have to either have to eventually move Green to the bench to play as 6th man or trade him. Green is good but he isn't a talent like Griffin who is the clear-cut #1 in the draft (unless Rubio enters).

Plus he hustles:

I'm frankly tired of this Rubio talk. This past summer, I heard all this talk abuot this hotshot Spanish guard who was a potential #1/#1 pick in the NBA draft. I had to watch. After watching him a bit, I was SEVERELY disappointed. Don't get me wrong, he's young and all that and has a nice game, but #1 pick? GTFOOH! I don't know what scout deemed him that worthy, but the kid has a LONG way to go. He just is not that good. Period.

As for Griffin, the kid is a horse. If he truly is 6-10, look out NBA. The kid has great footwork downlow, is a brickhouse, can rebound and is a classic 4.

5. robertorex

robertorex Well-Known Member

Leon Powe is a fucking monster right now. I miss guys who aren't athletic freaks (by NBA standards) and still manage to have enough game to school all these kids who only know how to run and dunk. Powe gets buckets.

6. why

why Well-Known Member

7. Jrslm_Stylin

Jrslm_Stylin Well-Known Member

I'm amazed most of you guys aren't listing Kevin Garnett as top 5, and I'm not even a Boston fan. Is it because he's presently injured/not on the nightly highlights in the last few days, or because he was wasted playing in Minnesota for so long? He's consistently been one of the most productive forwards in the NBA, and is a much better defender than most of the players in the top-five lists I see here.

I'll go with:
    Dwayne Wade
    Kobe Bryant
    Kevin Garnett
    LeBron James
    Durant

followed very close by Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan (on a good night anyway), and Nowitzki in Dallas. Can't get much better than David Lee on defense, but he's not as productive as the guys above.

8. robertorex

I think chris paul is suffering from an underwhelming situation in New Orleans, but deserves mention.

You know who I've always been a fan of - Derek Fisher. Any team can sign him (unfortunately that's been the lakers most of the time) and count on him to play the point and make no mistakes. I'll go so far as to say he's one of the most underrated point guards of the 2000s, if not of all time.

9. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

Ok, you guys are retarded putting durant in your top 5 or top 10. There is more to bsaketball than putting up 28 points a game on a shitty team. Also, his team has played better without him (they were barely getting normal win, let alone quality ones with durant). Durant has a long way to go. Defense, passing, post game, playing within the offense, shot selection, not hurting his team with his own offensive game, etc... He's a great player with the potential to be top 5, but he's not there. He needs to play better within the offense, and allow the other 2 major players on the team (westbrook and green) get off as well. Durant isn't a playmaker/passer like lebron or kobe yet either, so he can't just control the ball all the time. Maybe in time, but right now, scoring a ton of points isn't exactly the only answer.

I looovvveeeee the Thabo trade for them. I think he has the potential to be a good starter (not an all star but a perfect compliment). He can develop into an elite perimeter defender, has solid point/playmaking skills, and is a good slasher. His slashing can free up room for durant, and he and jeff green are the best passers on the team and can create for the best scorers durant and westbrook.

Blake Griffin would not work there at all. They really need a selfless center who is a legit 7ft or a really strong 6'11. He needs to be agile and able to play uptempo, someone like Tyson Chandler who they insanely gave away because of a little toe injury. They need someone to run occasional pick and roll, defend legit big guys, and protect the rim. Also, i'm guessing blake is going to measure a bit shorter than currently listed at the draft. I don't see blake really being all that much in the nba. He won't be a bust, but i don't think he's a number 1 pick. No one seems all that high on him. Kinda like how a lot of scouts were lukewarm on Beasley despite putting up similar numbers.

10. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Who would you rather start a team around - Lebron, Paul, or Howard?

11. chronoaug

Really tough to say. I don't think it's a complete slam dunk for lebron either. 3 completely different players and you'd have to build 3 completely different teams around them. I think most will just say lebron, but i think all 3 give you almost an equal chance to win a title. As of right now, the cavs have the best team around lebron for his style of play. Magic/hornets don't have the rebounding, depth, or defense to win a title.

12. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Really tough to say. I don't think it's a complete slam dunk for lebron either. 3 completely different players and you'd have to build 3 completely different teams around them. I think most will just say lebron, but i think all 3 give you almost an equal chance to win a title. As of right now, the cavs have the best team around lebron for his style of play. Magic/hornets don't have the rebounding, depth, or defense to win a title.

Yeah, I'd probably say Lebron or Howard. It is such an advantage to have a real big man in this league - see Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq. You make your team competitive for your entire career essentially, almost regardless of what's around you.

13. chronoaug

Yea, but then again, having an elite playmaking point guard who can also score 20ppg is really helpful too. I mean, all you need to do is do what the hornets did and add a bunch of slightly above average players around him and they're instant playoffs in the west with a chance to make the western finals (don't think they can win as is).

Magic don't really have a chance to win the title either. If they get anyone but the pistons in round one, they'll win in 5 or 6, but i don't think they can win 2 series against the pistons/cavs/celtics.

14. robertorex

Yea, but then again, having an elite playmaking point guard who can also score 20ppg is really helpful too. I mean, all you need to do is do what the hornets did and add a bunch of slightly above average players around him and they're instant playoffs in the west with a chance to make the western finals (don't think they can win as is).

Both the arguments are valid. A team can get by with either a really good center or really good point guard, but unless they can at least balance both they're not going anywhere

15. chronoaug

I agree. As i said in my first post about those 3, you need the right pieces around them. With lebron, he's a scorer who can also create so you need to pair him with rugged rebounders/defenders down low and some shooters on the wing. Dwight needs to have lots of shooters to space the floor and a slasher to create passing lanes (the magic desperately need this) and a 4spot who can shoot. When you get a truly special player, it sometimes takes a few seasons to figure out how to build a team around them.

16. bc78

bc78 Well-Known Member

Who would you rather start a team around - Lebron, Paul, or Howard?

I'd go with Lebron first, then Paul.

17. robertorex

a slasher to create passing lanes (the magic desperately need this) and a 4spot who can shoot.

Rashard can fill that 4 spot if you get a good slashing swingman who'll save rashard the trouble of having to switch off all the time. When I think of slashers, besides the obvious kobe answer I just think that michael finley back in the day would have been perfect. As for now, there doesn't seem to be anyone who fits that description that the magic can get.

18. robertorex

I'd go with Lebron first, then Paul.

If I was the GM, I would vary it depending on what kind of coach I had. The average coach will do fine with Howard, just plug him into the paint and watch everyone else have an easier time, but a coach who isn't creative offensively would just waste Lebron's talent.

19. bc78

bc78 Well-Known Member

If I was the GM, I would vary it depending on what kind of coach I had. The average coach will do fine with Howard, just plug him into the paint and watch everyone else have an easier time, but a coach who isn't creative offensively would just waste Lebron's talent.

Howard is great. I just think Lebron does the most for a team. Passing, rebounding, scoring, defense. Paul can't rebound or defend as wide a variety of players as well as LBJ. Howard isn't as good a passer or scorer.

20. bc78

bc78 Well-Known Member

If I was GM, I think I'd also consider the players around them. Lets say you have a decent PG and center, maybe you go with Durant after LBJ then.