1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best players Currently in the NBA

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jpeirpont, Jul 16, 2006.

1. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ooooh, Pierce. I'm not sure how I forgot about him. He might go in my Arenas spot.

I had Pierce on my shortlist too. Hard to judge him given the lack of talent he's been surrounded with. I'd like to see what he could do with a little support.

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

1. Lebron
    2. Wade
    3. Kobe
    4. Pierce
    5. AI

Why leave off Dirk, btw? I almost did after his disappearing act in much of the finals, but he really did become a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

3. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

1) Lebron
    2) Wade
    3) Kobe
    4) Dirk
    5) Brand

As much as Nash influences the flow of a game, he's a defensive liability, and its very possible that a team could achieve a similar degree of success by employing a scrappy youngster like Hinrich or veteran like Cassel plus any of the "second tier" All-Stars.

A more thought provoking excercise:
    James and Howard were both no brainers in their respective drafts. Chris Paul was a gem, as was Elton Brand. I personally believed Brand was going to perform similar to a Carlos Boozer--decent but definitely not exceptional.

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Why leave off Dirk, btw? I almost did after his disappearing act in much of the finals, but he really did become a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.

I'd have Dirk around 6-8.

koji

5. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

In light of this seasons terrible decision in regards to who was awarded the MVP.I thought I'd get the forum's opinion on the leagues best 3-5 players.
    I'll start

1) Kobe Bryant
    2) Lebron James
    3) D. Wade
    4) Tim Duncan (forgiven this weak season)
    5) Dirk

I think this list still stands, but Arena's has made a compelling argument this season, so has Carmelo.

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Arenas was too inconsistent, but I agree that Carmelo definitely upped his game this season.

koji

7. eg1

eg1 Senior member

In two years you will all include CB4 on your lists. [​IMG]

8. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

I think this list still stands, but Arena's has made a compelling argument this season, so has Carmelo.
    I agree, though this season I'd rank Dirk above Duncan. Duncan seems to save himself for the playoffs a la Shaq more and more as he gets older. I might slide Wade above Lebron in terms of on court performance, though I think Lebron is the best overall athlete in the NBA, was when he got here, and will be for years to come. His ceiling is the highest of anybody in the league right now, IMO. I think Arenas enters this conversation when he starts shooting a decent percentage from the field (a paltry 42% before injury this year, 43% for his career) or playing better defense. I personally rate Steve Nash higher based on the fact that while he also doesn't play defense, he creates more overall scoring for your team (along with being the most efficient offensive player in the league, and it's not even close). I think in 5 years this list looks like Lebron, Wade, Howard, Bosh (or Stoudemire), and Chris Paul (maybe Melo here, depending on whether you value a PG or a scorer). That is, if Oden or Durant don't fulfill their potential by that point.

9. kwiteaboy

kwiteaboy Senior member

It has to be Kobe, then anyone else. My list would be:

1. Kobe
    2. D. Wade
    3. Steve Nash (a team is largely as good as its point guard: he's incredible to watch and the Suns don't achieve without him)
    4. LeBron
    5. McGrady

10. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

I think in 5 years this list looks like Lebron, Wade, Howard, Bosh (or Stoudemire), and Chris Paul (maybe Melo here, depending on whether you value a PG or a scorer). That is, if Oden or Durant don't fulfill their potential by that point.[/quote]

I'm way more sold on Bosh over Stoudamire, I just don't believe Amare is as a competant without Nash around, plus his defense is less than impressive.

What's up with all the Yao hatred? Can someone please name a pure center (minus Shaq in his former years), who is as productive. He has unbelievable shooting ability for a center, he's not in the best 5 players, but he is probably the best center.

My list goes like this (I'm going to go by position):

PG: Nash
    SG: Bryant
    SF: James
    PF: Nowitzki
    C: Ya

11. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

What's up with all the Yao hatred? Can someone please name a pure center (minus Shaq in his former years), who is as productive. He has unbelievable shooting ability for a center, he's not in the best 5 players, but he is probably the best center.

This speak to the sorry state of centers in the league. Yao doesn't stink but he isn't a great player by any stretch.

12. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

This speak to the sorry state of centers in the league. Yao doesn't stink but he isn't a great player by any stretch.
    +1 He is the best center (for the moment), but that isn't saying that much. The number of teams playing true centers in the league today is dwindling with the direction the NBA game is heading, and I think if a team was offered one of the players mentioned in this list, Yao is pretty far down the list of who they'd pick. He's been very productive when healthy, but the Rockets still need Mcgrady down the stretch of any close game much more. The Rockets were better with just TMac than with just Yao this year. I still think Dwight Howard ends up being the better center in the end, and Bosh and Stoudemire will have the better careers. Of the category "big men" (a far more useful classification I feel), I think Yao isn't even in the top 7 or 8 of active players who will have the best all-around career. I think he's a solid 20-25 and 10 guy for the next 5 years, but so are Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Pau Gasol, Al Jefferson, Shawn Marion, etc...

13. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

<===== No love for Dirk.

Tough to play in the Playoffs with both hands around your neck.

14. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I think steve nash is the best player in the NBA

he has a higher offensive output in terms of assists plus points then prettty much anyone else. hes moer important to his team. and kobe couldnt do jack shit against his team even if he a scores a lot...

kobe id say for points scoring is probably the best

but nash overall is a better player. he can pass, shoot, drive like no other

15. Southern-Nupe

16. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

+1

I think he's a solid 20-25 and 10 guy for the next 5 years, but so are Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Pau Gasol, Al Jefferson, Shawn Marion, etc...

Well, doesn't that 20-25 and 10 make him one of the best players in the NBA?

And while the center position is not as important as previously, he will be among the top 3 centers for years if he stays healthy.

17. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

Well, doesn't that 20-25 and 10 make him one of the best players in the NBA? And while the center position is not as important as previously, he will be among the top 3 centers for years if he stays healthy.
    "One of the best" as in one of the top 20? Sure, I'd put him there. Let's say he's the 3rd best center in a few years (behind Howard, and Stoudemire or Oden or somebody else). There's still 8-9 PF/Cs better than him, meaning he is, at the least, at the bottom of the top 10 of all big men. He's a very good player, a lot of teams would be a lot better with him, but there's still a bunch of other 20 and 10 guys in the NBA right now who do what he does. He doesn't represent anything particularly unique despite his size. Now he may go nuts in a year or two and average 28, 12, a few blocks, but I doubt it. He probably won't play the minutes to get those numbers, he's not a great athlete like Shaq or any of the other great centers of the past two decades and it's going to show when he hits 30. He plays a heavy international schedule, and I think it's going to show late in his career. 310 pounds on a 7' 6" frame is a lot to carry around.

18. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I think steve nash is the best player in the NBA

he has a higher offensive output in terms of assists plus points then prettty much anyone else. hes moer important to his team. and kobe couldnt do jack shit against his team even if he a scores a lot...

kobe id say for points scoring is probably the best

but nash overall is a better player. he can pass, shoot, drive like no other

That's is not even reasonably arguable. Kobe has far better defense than Nash does. Kobe is definitely more important to his team. Nash has been playing with other all stars since he's been in Phoenix while Kobe has had Odoms. The Suns are probably a .500 team without Nash , the Laker's would win 17 games.

Points and assists combined (assuming each assists averages out to 2 points) Kobe's out paces Nash; 42.4 to 41.8

19. kever

kever Senior member

That's is not even reasonably arguable. Kobe has far better defense than Nash does. Kobe is definitely more important to his team. Nash has been playing with other all stars since he's been in Phoenix while Kobe has had Odoms. The Suns are probably a .500 team without Nash , the Laker's would win 17 games. Points and assists combined (assuming each assists averages out to 2 points) Kobe's out paces Nash; 42.4 to 41.8
    Kobe might be one of the best players to ever play basketball. What makes me think Nash deserves the MVP is how he makes everyone around him so much better. Kobe helps the Lakers win if he wins the game himself, but Nash gives his team a more balanced attack while still contributing a decent PPG average.

20. Southern-Nupe

He's a very good player, a lot of teams would be a lot better with him, but there's still a bunch of other 20 and 10 guys in the NBA right now who do what he does. He doesn't represent anything particularly unique despite his size. Now he may go nuts in a year or two and average 28, 12, a few blocks, but I doubt it. He probably won't play the minutes to get those numbers, he's not a great athlete like Shaq or any of the other great centers of the past two decades and it's going to show when he hits 30. He plays a heavy international schedule, and I think it's going to show late in his career. 310 pounds on a 7' 6" frame is a lot to carry around.[/quote]

Actually, he is averaging 27 and 12, with 2 blocks a game in the playoffs, and has been an intregal part of the teams success (except for last night). He leads the team in scoring, rebounding, Ft's, FG's, and blocks. The difference between him and other big men, is the fact that he is a pure center. Most of the other successful big guys are Forwards, who have centers behind them, and a good number of those centers stink. These Forwards only play center, when the team wants to play small ball. Could you image the Rockets success if they had both Yao and a consistently effective PF. Also as far as unique qualities go, few centers are as versatile. Given, he is not as strong or athletic as Shaq, however Shaq can't shoot the ball like Yao neither.