• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best places to buy cheap Pima cotton Tees?

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
I was wondering where you guys thought the best place to pick up some of the Pima cotton blank T-shirts of all variations would be found. American Apparel? Alternative Apparel? I don't know!I just bought 6 from Banana Republic on sale but they're quite expensive in comparison to what I think I could pay for them.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want quality you can't really think about money.

No business sells things at a loss - a 'good deal' is just marketing.

I heard good things from W+H t's, so I ordered a bunch.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
How cheap are you talking? And are you talking about white undershirts made of pima cotton or plain colored tshirts to be worn by themselves (not that I don't often wear plain white shirts by themselves).

I'm actually looking for some of the former. I love pima cotton, but tend to ruin white undershirts too quickly to buy something at Wings + Horns level. I'm a bit dubious that the increase in quality of a cotton t-shirt justifies the markup after a certain level.

As for the latter, I have a bunch in a variety of colors that I once bought on sale at Armani Exchange. As I was saying in another thread just recently, they are the only things I've ever really liked from the store, but they were cheap, are super comfortable, and have held up great for several years now.

Edit: I just checked their website, and they are selling what I assume to be the same thing for 2/$40. I'm pretty sure mine were around half that. The v-neck is a little low, so I wear the one I have less as I'm not huge on showing off my chest hair.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo, phone order.

As recent as last week, their Egytian supima tees were on sale, at 25-50% off.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
I'm a bit dubious that the increase in quality of a cotton t-shirt justifies the markup after a certain level.
I've heard this arguement about everything. Quality = What you put in + Construction. I've heard some reports that alot of the '100% pima cotton' tags are just marketing lies. Besides, the original cloth is ONE stage of MANY in producing quality cloth - yes, it impacts the final quality but if your not sorting, spinning, weaving to yarns, weaving to cloth and then finishing, with quality in every step, then no point. I've bought local stuff, american apparel, ascolour and a few other brands of basic t, and they all fall apart. You really need to buy from people that put quality first, if you want quality. If rag and bone made basic T's, I'd grab some of them too. I decided to buy some W+H t's after I kept reading people saying that they bought some in ss07 and they are still good. I'm looking at getting some Zimmerli T's as well, they do a high neck crewneck T which looks awesome. It's not as if they are that expensive anyway. 55 Canadian. You'll so learn that buying less and buying the best quality items to have for years is the better thing to do.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
If you want quality you can't really think about money.

No business sells things at a loss - a 'good deal' is just marketing.

I heard good things from W+H t's, so I ordered a bunch.

I don't mean buying them at "off the truck" cost but $40/shirt is a bit much for a simple T-shirt V neck.

Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
How cheap are you talking? And are you talking about white undershirts made of pima cotton or plain colored tshirts to be worn by themselves (not that I don't often wear plain white shirts by themselves).

Stand-alone shirts. I am pretty much phasing out all my T-shirts for simple stuff that feels comfortable and tried out the pima cotton shirts and loved them. I would be willing to pay $25-30 for a plain pima T.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
I've heard this arguement about everything.

Quality = What you put in + Construction.

I've heard some reports that alot of the '100% pima cotton' tags are just marketing lies. Besides, the original cloth is ONE stage of MANY in producing quality cloth - yes, it impacts the final quality but if your not sorting, spinning, weaving to yarns, weaving to cloth and then finishing, with quality in every step, then no point.

I've bought local stuff, american apparel, ascolour and a few other brands of basic t, and they all fall apart. You really need to buy from people that put quality first, if you want quality. If rag and bone made basic T's, I'd grab some of them too.

I decided to buy some W+H t's after I kept reading people saying that they bought some in ss07 and they are still good. I'm looking at getting some Zimmerli T's as well, they do a high neck crewneck T which looks awesome.

It's not as if they are that expensive anyway. 55 Canadian.

You'll so learn that buying less and buying the best quality items to have for years is the better thing to do.

O RLY? What kind of abuse do you put on your clothing? Walking on Chernobyl-like nuclear disaster aftermath?

None of my Hanes/AA/name your peasant brand tees have fallen apart, and they probably average 3+ yr and 30+ washes old.

skiwebster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Uniqlo, phone order.

As recent as last week, their Egytian supima tees were on sale, at 25-50% off.

Yeah, I was in there a few weeks ago and those tees were $10 each.

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
O RLY? What kind of abuse do you put on your clothing? Walking on Chernobyl-like nuclear disaster aftermath?

None of my Hanes/AA/name your peasant brand tees have fallen apart, and they probably average 3+ yr and 30+ washes old.

while mine haven't 'fallen apart', I can see where the guy is coming from. my AA tees have changed shape considerably, and they don't feel nearly as soft as they did when I bought them. the color has faded a bit too. I'm not sure how a higher quality tee may differ but I'd assume it would hold up better in all circumstances

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HAHAHA!

LOL! CHERNOBYL! LOL!

Originally Posted by dibadiba
while mine haven't 'fallen apart', I can see where the guy is coming from. my AA tees have changed shape considerably, and they don't feel nearly as soft as they did when I bought them. the color has faded a bit too. I'm not sure how a higher quality tee may differ but I'd assume it would hold up better in all circumstances

Fabric pills, out of shape, colour changes, loose seams, loose threads.

No one who bought W+H T's were like **** ME I WASTED MY MONEYS, yet everyone said "Yo, they last and are awesomely comfortable, dawg."

Buy your cheap **** I don't care, but don't argue that cheap > quality. Been there, done that. I'd rather pay more upfront and have it last awhile then have to pay each year for the same mediocre rubbish.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread's AIDS has become infested with Gonorrhea.

and the answer is BR.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skiwebster
Yeah, I was in there a few weeks ago and those tees were $10 each.

+1 on uniqlo's soft tees; they're a lot nicer than the ones folded up and packaged in plastic.

Crakaveli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
ugh another example of hype. ive never felt or tried on a w+h tshirt, but ive tried/felt tshirts 3-4x the cost (ralph lauren black/purple label), and i can say that abercrombie tees are the best: http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wc...-1_12233_12202 kthx
ruehl has "fitted". hollister and abercrombie have "classic". i think ruehl's tag/logo is easiest to remove.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the abercrombie tag is a moose. the w+h tag is a little cross. same difference imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads