• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best places in the nation for young people to live.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
definitely LA has the best mix of culture, pop culture, entertainment, opportunities and for being a cosmopolitan city, it's fairly cheap to live in compared to other similar cities
How is it fairly cheap to live there? A decent place in a decent neighborhood is not pennies on the dollar. Add to that, the cost of driving everywhere (Car, insurance, gas, parking) and it adds up. I don't think Boston offers much. I'm not sure how you could possibly think new haven is a fun place either. But to each their own. I recommend NY (you can get by on the cheap in brooklyn which is fun), Chicago (fun and friendly), and Denver (REALLY fun, LOTS of hot girls).

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Apparently Newark has really cleaned up its act and become very "artsy." Plus, you've got NYC right there for the nightlife.
Please tell me that's a joke... Also what is asparagus money? I am so confused from everyone's inside jokes.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
where are you from originally AC?
Born in DC, raised in the DC 'burbs. I'll readily admit that I'm a DC homer, but I think DC is the best choice for CTGuy. Do not underestimate the benefit of not having to take another state's bar in order to practice law. (You can waive into the DC bar by filling out a lengthy and annoying application form.)

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Maybe I am crazy-- I like Boston and maybe some of that comes with growing up in New England so I have a fair amount of long time friends in the area and that counts for something. I also tend to take the criticism of NYCers of Boston with a grain of salt-- there tends to be a strange and irrational hostility towards Boston-- I once remember being at a bar in NYC with some people and a girl said, "Boston is cool.... if you like to wear Patagonia all the time." and then sniggered. It seems rather bizarre to me.

I am just giving SoCal a hard time because apparently his family is in the asparagus business and he seems to live rather lavishly (which is fine by me), but those of us not born on third base like to give him a little ribbing now and again.

I have heard some good things about the Denver area as well, especially Boulder. I don't think Newark would be a serious consideration so no need to worry about that at all.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Born in DC, raised in the DC 'burbs. I'll readily admit that I'm a DC homer, but I think DC is the best choice for CTGuy. Do not underestimate the benefit of not having to take another state's bar in order to practice law. (You can waive into the DC bar by filling out a lengthy and annoying application form.)

This is in fact a huge huge consideration that is not at all lost on me. Plus my work for the last year has been closely linked with the state and federal lobbying business so DC would make a fair amount of sense careerwise.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy

I have heard some good things about the Denver area as well, especially Boulder. I don't think Newark would be a serious consideration so no need to worry about that at all.

Denver is, in many ways, a really fantastic city. The winters are not as brutal as you would imagine, but a hot day at a mile altitude can be brutal in the summer. You should definitely spend a week there in July before deciding.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Denver is, in many ways, a really fantastic city. The winters are not as brutal as you would imagine, but a hot day at a mile altitude can be brutal in the summer. You should definitely spend a week there in July before deciding.
Winters were milder there than NY and Chicago to me. But once you're in the mountains, forget about it. I also didn't think the summers were brutal at all compared to NY and Chicago which had high temps combined with awful humidity. The one thing that did suck? I swear I've never had to use as much chapstick in my life because it was so dry there. Lots of sports, beautiful city, beautiful mountains all around you, clean air (which any big city person loves for a change), decent prices, gorgeous girls, phenomenal beer. It isn't as exciting as a big city, but it's definitely a fun place to be
smile.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy

I am just giving SoCal a hard time because apparently his family is in the asparagus business and he seems to live rather lavishly (which is fine by me), but those of us not born on third base like to give him a little ribbing now and again.

That's cute. Asparagus is certainly a cash crop; but, the business and product is far reaching beyond that.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Please tell me that's a joke...

Maybe he's thinking of Hobo....ken.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
That's cute. Asparagus is certainly a cash crop; but, the business and product is far reaching beyond that.

Just giving you a hard time dude.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Houston, Tx., as a long shot choice

A great cost of living index, many opportunities for attorneys, and still a very good business environment.

Admittedly though, for climate, culture, night life, you can do better elsewhere.

Austin, Tx. is very popular with young professionals.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
How is it fairly cheap to live there?
I had a lot of friends who lived in Loz Feliz and Silverlake. The were paying 1/3 to 1/4 NY rents on comparable places. These were good neighborhoods in their own right, and also had easy access to other fun areas.

This was back in the '90s, however.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
DC ranked very high in a recent poll on this very subject in Money (I think) magazine. If you're a lawyer, there is no better place for jobs. The city and metro-accessible suburbs are fairly pricey, but Capitol Hill staffers seem to get by, so it's definitely doable. As far as culture and entertainment goes, it's no SF or NYC, but it's better than people give it credit for. The weather is definitely better than Boston. There is supposed to be a very favorable male-female ratio that I have not personally witnessed.

I grew up in DC. I'm in the age demo the OP suggested. If you've grown up near any big city I would recommend against DC. It's very insular and provincial, nightlife is horrible, public transport sucks unless you are near a subway stop and then forget about much savings over NY on rent. Oh, and the people tend to be uglier. But you know the old Proverb; Politics is Hollywood for ugly people.

I would have to recommend Chicago. Beautiful women, great nightlife, great cultural scene, people are nice, city is easy to navigate, and you can get a palace for the cost of anything in NY/DC. Of course weather is the biggest downside.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
public transport sucks unless you are near a subway stop
But if you are, PT is very good indeed. The buses, however, may be the worst in the nation.

and then forget about much savings over NY on rent.
This has not been my experience. Not even close.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
But if you are, PT is very good indeed. The buses, however, may be the worst in the nation.

This has not been my experience. Not even close.

Hmmm... Ok, I should have been more clear.

For higher end rentals and buying a place NYC is certainly much more expensive.

But for comparable studio's, 1br's, and 2+br's (split w/ roommates) in Manhattan it is priced similarly. To be clear, you can mitigate your costs by living in NW far from the Metro, Silver Spring, Balston, etc. I'm talking about NW near the Metro -- Dupont, Farragut North, Woodly Park, Cleveland Park, Capitol Hill, G'Town.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads