Best places in the nation for young people to live.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CTGuy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

There is supposed to be a very favorable male-female ratio that I have not personally witnessed.

You've never noticed the unusually high population of 50+ administrative assistants? Open your eyes, man!

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

DC ranked very high in a recent poll on this very subject in Money (I think) magazine. If you're a lawyer, there is no better place for jobs. The city and metro-accessible suburbs are fairly pricey, but Capitol Hill staffers seem to get by, so it's definitely doable. As far as culture and entertainment goes, it's no SF or NYC, but it's better than people give it credit for. The weather is definitely better than Boston. There is supposed to be a very favorable male-female ratio that I have not personally witnessed.
    where are you from originally AC?

3. mrkleen

mrkleen Well-Known Member

It really depends what you are looking for, if you have a job that transfers well etc.

Were I ready to start a family, I think Lexington, Kentucky would be my choice. Such a gorgeous part of the world and the people there are nicer than you can imagine.

But as a young person, you need excitement and nightlife and opportunities to meet people. My short list would include Chicago, Atlanta and Los Angeles for bigger places. If you can deal with cold weather, Minneapolis is fantastic as well.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Chicago is great. It is a friendly city that has a lot of good spirit.

San Francisco is a good and bad choice. You can still live here if you don't have a family and have few responsibilities, but a lot of people leave once they need to settle down. I would estimate that 80% of our friends have left over the last 10 years. It is a good place to experience.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

San Francisco is a good and bad choice. You can still live here if you don't have a family and have few responsibilities, but a lot of people leave once they need to settle down. I would estimate that 80% of our friends have left over the last 10 years. It is a good place to experience.

Are you sure they are leaving because of San Francisco? [​IMG]

6. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

I have some close friends from Boston that moved out there about two years ago and love it there. I think it is definitely a consideration if I were to move to the west coast. The key thing they seem to appreciate is that people are more "laid back" than our New England brethren.

7. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

Are you sure they are leaving because of San Francisco? [​IMG]

Does that ignore function still exist on here???

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Does that ignore function still exist on here???

It should be, I see no reason why J would remove it.

Jon.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

DC ranked very high in a recent poll on this very subject in Money (I think) magazine. If you're a lawyer, there is no better place for jobs. The city and metro-accessible suburbs are fairly pricey, but Capitol Hill staffers seem to get by, so it's definitely doable. As far as culture and entertainment goes, it's no SF or NYC, but it's better than people give it credit for. The weather is definitely better than Boston. There is supposed to be a very favorable male-female ratio that I have not personally witnessed.

+1. I read the same article, though I can't remember where.

My experience of San Francisco exactly parallels what Matt wrote. It's still my favorite city (to visit), but I lived there for a year when I was married and had a family and found practical, real life a pain in the a$$, not to mention hellaciously expensive.

I agree that everyone should experience living in a big city once in his life. Then you'll appreciate living in a small town, but making enough $$ to travel for pleasure.

10. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

11. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

+1. I read the same article, though I can't remember where.

My experience of San Francisco exactly parallels what Matt wrote. It's still my favorite city (to visit), but I lived there for a year when I was married and had a family and found practical, real life a pain in the a$$, not to mention hellaciously expensive.

I agree that everyone should experience living in a big city once in his life. Then you'll appreciate living in a small town, but making enough $$ to travel for pleasure.

Agree 100%....I lived in NYC and never found it practical or convenient. Made me appreciate the suburbs where I grew up much more....but definitely an experience everyone should try.

12. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

DC becomes pretty uninspiring if you're here long enough. Very little excitement.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

DC becomes pretty uninspiring if you're here long enough. Very little excitement.

You could always go to the IRS Building and flip em off all day like Walter.

14. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

You could always go to the IRS Building and flip em off all day like Walter.

You can spend your whole life flipping off buildings in DC.

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    If you can stand winter I'd suggest you explore Minneapolis.