• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to go for short folk...

Jay687

Reaction score
Where should I go? Mainly for sportscoats, blazers, suits. Since dress shirts, I'd rather spend the extra money to MTM (since OTR + tailoring will likely get me to a similar price point as say moderntailor).

I am:

5'4", 125, 14.5" neck, 37" chest, 29" waist... and need MAX 28" length on jackets, could go as short as 26."

Any typical brands I'd have good luck with? The thing that sucks is that I have an athletic build too. So, I also want slim, but then it doesn't fit my chest/shoulders.

But anyhow, I'd consider MTM, but how much would this run?

And if I can find luck with OTR, which brands? Looking for something moderately priced here as well. If it's super expensive, I'd rather spend the extra $$ going MTM for superior fit (even if with worse fabric).

Suggestions/advice welcome. Thanks.

FPMBAT

Reaction score
Dude..... These are my exact measurements and I started 5 months ago building a brand new wardrobe. I will share my journey with you so that it might help you. Started with a Hugo Boss suit bought on sale- mistake. Will now be my funeral suit! Bought a 50% Prada suit (34S) from the boutique- Love the cut and look! Bought on B&S- a Kiton and Brioni 90-95% off- Tailoring was very very expensive but they look great now. The Kiton is probably my favorite piece. Bought 2 Kiton Ties- Love them but they are too long now that I know the difference. Bought a Borelli 14.5 shirt from Ehaberdasher - looks nice but with tailoring wound up costing way too much. Had Cego make me a MTM shirt- This will be my new method for all future shirts! Carl is class guy. Bought Incotex slacks and Kiton Jeans and pants heavily discounted from Ehaberdasher. Once tailored to fit properly wound up being to expensive even though I really do love the Kiton pants. Will probably do MTM for pants from now on. Not worth the aggravation of trying to find something in our size. After all my polo searching- I have settled on Ralph Lauren Custom/slim fit polos (Small). I wish no logo, but they fit the best and bought on sale are a great price. Also the white deep V neck Undershirts are my favorite. Bought a Bruno Cuccineli sportcoat off B&S heavily discounted- Had it Tailored to fit me but although it looks nice- It is not really comfortable to wear. Paid full price for a Perfectly sized Loro Piana storm system jacket from the boutique. Cost too much but my wife made me get it because she never saw me in a jacket so perfect. Another favorite piece of mine. Tired the Loro Piana outlet at Woodbury- Waste of time for our size. Tried Lohemans, Saks of Fifth and Nieman Marcus Last Call- Pointless! Although I did find one nice leather jacket and my wife got a lot of great stuff (normal sized)
smile.gif
Had Zegna MTM in NYC Boutique make me sportcoat- disaster!!! Don't do this. They refunded my money and destroyed the jacket it was so bad. Had Mina from Napoli Su Misura make me a sportcoat/pants/tie. I am picking up my finished stuff next weekend. This has been my favorite way to get clothes so far. The tie will be the right length- The sportcoat will fit me perfectly. I would rather get less stuff and use this route in the future. I understand Ed from Panta in the B&S makes great pants also- You may want to check him out for Pants too. In the end I realized that because of my size (our size) it can be very frustrating to find quality stuff that fits right. It is much better to just go bespoke from someone who know what they are doing. Even though you will pay more now. Checking the B&S every hour to hope someone puts up a 34-36S or 29 waist is not worth the aggravation. Outlet shopping has been a waste for me. Good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads