• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to get sunglasses in New York

mizanation

Reaction score
i appreciate everyone's suggestions for sunglasses, there are quite a few. however, i am not sure where to get them in new york. where is the best place to get sunglasses in terms of selection and price? should i avoid the sunglass huts?

i am interested in ray bans, armani, persol, all the recommended brands.

prescription is not necessary since i wear contacts.

thanks,

miz

Roland

Reaction score
They're pretty unique, but also pricey. They do offer a lower priced diffusion line called Mosley Tribe that the flagships carry as well as some other stores like Steven Alan. If you're going for a more fashion orientated pair of sunglasses, Oliver Peoples is the best ... much better then prada, armani etc. Peoples also make Paul Smith sunglasses. Mosley Tribes: http://www.stevenalan.com/shop/custo...me.php?cat=592 Bluefly carries a few models too & some Paul Smith ones: http://www.bluefly.com/pages/browse/..._id=2032826405 I've been rocking cheap sunglasses for a few years, but looking through a pair of decent sunglasses versus the gas station numbers is eye opening. Ray Bans are great, but they're also ray bans ... if that makes any sense. You can also get cheap unique sunglasses at the flea market in soho. PS- i've heard good things about cutler and gross, but I've never seen them in person.

mizanation

Reaction score
hey roland, thanks for the info about mosley tribe. that's more in my price range. although, that being said, i never thought i would be buying $300 jeans.

the styling on the people's is excellent and recognizable.

i did think that i *should* own a pair of good ray bans, so i just went out to the sunglass hut and got the Ray Ban Highstreet (RB3221)

http://www.sunglasshut.com/sghus.cfm...ory=sunglasses

maybe a good starter pair of sunglasses.

i have enough of the cheap sunglasses, my wife sells them online, so i get my pick of a huge array.

these ray bans are very well constructed, they fit great and have a high quality lens. i hope they will last me a long time...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
The Highstreets are great! I have owned them in the past.

I'm currently sporting a pair of the Ray-Ban Sidestreets like these

p32920x.jpg

Dill

Reaction score
Has anyone here seen the Tom Ford shades in person? I really like the Buckely model, but can't bring myself to spend $330 on sunglasses. Anyone know of a similar model?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roland
Check out Oliver Peoples in Soho or on Madison.

http://www.oliverpeoples.com/

Good rec, I go to optx in LA. World of diff b/w my op's and guccis, well worth the money. I have the olive frame with green lens and everywhere I go they get complimented on.

Dill, the Tom Fords are nice but a bit over the top. I tried on the buckleys which are nice and the plastic aviators looked great on me but I went with the op's hands down. Tom Ford is just enjoying his 15 mins of fame so his glasses are flying off the shelves but next year there will be something new to replace him just like he replaced marc jacobs for sunglasses.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
The Highstreets are great! I have owned them in the past.

I'm currently sporting a pair of the Ray-Ban Sidestreets like these

p32920x.jpg

hey bradford,

i really liked the sidestreets too. unfortunately, i think they were a little too small for my face. it's been rainy in NYC, so i haven't been able to test the polarized lenses, yet....
frown.gif

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the Mosley Tribes recommendation and also say you should go root around at Fabulous Fanny's. Brand names are not everything when it comes to frames, and Fanny's has some awesome vintage Italian and American (yeah, that was a long time ago) made stuff.

I still say Ray-Bans are pretty nice for your money but Luxotica's quality control is kind of hit and miss these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads