• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best place to get a custom tailored suit?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Like the title states, I'm curious to hear your opinions. I've heard many good things about Bangkok specifically the Rajawongse tailors. Historically I know Hong Kong has been the most popular destination but from what I gather getting a suit in Thailand is now much cheaper.

I have flight benefits so the price of getting to these places is negligible. I'm 22 so I can't afford to break the bank but I would like something of relatively high quality and excellent fit. Anyone with first hand experience please chime in. Thanks.

Nate

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy is that a loaded question.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Boy is that a loaded question.

I afraid that I lack the requisite energy to opine.
shog[1].gif

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have large $$$$$ and large miles
Go to London. Many tialors can accomidate you.
Expect four trips.

I you have modest $$$
And are in SE Asia to start
See WW Chan in HK for several visits.

You need to know what you want before you contact them.
That is the real question.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to Beijing - it's worth a visit right about now anyway - before things get too spiffy for the Olympics. I can introduce you to an excellent tailor. He makes an extremely well-finished, well-fitted, stylish suit starting at slightly over 200 dollars. He can do Saville Row or a more modern, designer-type style. At this price, you could have several made to make it worth your trip. The quality is far better than any comparably priced garment that you could pick up in Hong Kong or Thailand. I can even take you to have shoes and a hand-woven scarf custom-made. Send me a message if you are here or click the link:

Newton

Reaction score
Hi there

About one week ago I collected a suit from Rajawongse, and 5 shirts. I am very happy with the quality.

Rajawongse (search on Google and hit I'm feeling lucky) have the best reputation in Bangkok just read the results on Google...

The suit was US$300, don't listen to any other people because the price went up a few months ago. Shirts are US$25.

You'll need a few fittings.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am left to wonder when I hear about these Asian-made $200 or $300 suits what the fabric quality is like. I am thinking that the suiting material alone should run at least that much for four yards if any kind of halfway decent fabric is chosen.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am left to wonder when I hear about these Asian-made $200 or $300 suits what the fabric quality is like. I am thinking that the suiting material alone should run at least that much for four yards if any kind of halfway decent fabric is chosen.
I feel the same way but I could probably get my own fabric and take it with me. I know howard on ebay sells good stuff but its hard to get a feel for what you're buying just by looking at photos. Does anyone know where high end suitmakers get their fabric (i've always liked the patterns RLPL uses for example) or any particularly good fabric shops in the US?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
The $290 I paid Dung got me a second-tier fabric; VBC S120s instead of Dormeuil. Dormeuil pushed one of M@t's suits to $400. Pics to come.
Tom

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TIEALIGN
London is the best place to go IMO.

... If you have $4 Gs or so to drop per suit. Which it sounds like the OP does not. If travel costs are negligible, I would second either China or HK.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the flight was free, I'd go to Hong Kong. W.W. Chan for a suit or suits and Jantzen for shirts. You can certainly get cheaper and better, but both of those offer a good compromise and can deliver on a short schedule.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Cazenovia, NY

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads