• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best place to get a custom tailored suit?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Like the title states, I'm curious to hear your opinions. I've heard many good things about Bangkok specifically the Rajawongse tailors. Historically I know Hong Kong has been the most popular destination but from what I gather getting a suit in Thailand is now much cheaper.

I have flight benefits so the price of getting to these places is negligible. I'm 22 so I can't afford to break the bank but I would like something of relatively high quality and excellent fit. Anyone with first hand experience please chime in. Thanks.

Nate

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy is that a loaded question.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Boy is that a loaded question.

I afraid that I lack the requisite energy to opine.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have large $$$$$ and large miles
Go to London. Many tialors can accomidate you.
Expect four trips.

I you have modest $$$
And are in SE Asia to start
See WW Chan in HK for several visits.

You need to know what you want before you contact them.
That is the real question.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to Beijing - it's worth a visit right about now anyway - before things get too spiffy for the Olympics. I can introduce you to an excellent tailor. He makes an extremely well-finished, well-fitted, stylish suit starting at slightly over 200 dollars. He can do Saville Row or a more modern, designer-type style. At this price, you could have several made to make it worth your trip. The quality is far better than any comparably priced garment that you could pick up in Hong Kong or Thailand. I can even take you to have shoes and a hand-woven scarf custom-made. Send me a message if you are here or click the link:

Newton

Reaction score
Hi there

About one week ago I collected a suit from Rajawongse, and 5 shirts. I am very happy with the quality.

Rajawongse (search on Google and hit I'm feeling lucky) have the best reputation in Bangkok just read the results on Google...

The suit was US$300, don't listen to any other people because the price went up a few months ago. Shirts are US$25.

You'll need a few fittings.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am left to wonder when I hear about these Asian-made $200 or $300 suits what the fabric quality is like. I am thinking that the suiting material alone should run at least that much for four yards if any kind of halfway decent fabric is chosen.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am left to wonder when I hear about these Asian-made $200 or $300 suits what the fabric quality is like. I am thinking that the suiting material alone should run at least that much for four yards if any kind of halfway decent fabric is chosen.
I feel the same way but I could probably get my own fabric and take it with me. I know howard on ebay sells good stuff but its hard to get a feel for what you're buying just by looking at photos. Does anyone know where high end suitmakers get their fabric (i've always liked the patterns RLPL uses for example) or any particularly good fabric shops in the US?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
The $290 I paid Dung got me a second-tier fabric; VBC S120s instead of Dormeuil. Dormeuil pushed one of [email protected]'s suits to $400. Pics to come.
Tom

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TIEALIGN
London is the best place to go IMO.

... If you have $4 Gs or so to drop per suit. Which it sounds like the OP does not. If travel costs are negligible, I would second either China or HK.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the flight was free, I'd go to Hong Kong. W.W. Chan for a suit or suits and Jantzen for shirts. You can certainly get cheaper and better, but both of those offer a good compromise and can deliver on a short schedule.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cazenovia, NY

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%