• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Place to Buy RLBL Tuxedo in NYC

hpnas

Reaction score
So after much research and information gathered from this forum, I have decided on a RLBL Tuxedo for my upcoming wedding. I went to try it on at both Saks and Ralph Lauren and love the look and feel of it on me.

Now that I have done the hard part of picking out the tux, I am trying to figure out the cheapest place to get it as the department stores and RL are all MSRP. Any ideas or do I have to accept the fact that I am most likely going to pay full retail for a Black Label tux?

nyc2010

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position -- although I haven't 100% decided on that tux. RL had a 25% off deal a while back, but I didn't pull the trigger.

Did you see anything comparable for slightly less -- ideally on sale? I'm still having trouble justifying spending $2k on that tux (or another one, for that matter).

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Z-Zegna has one (at Bloomingdales) for $1,200. Though not as high quality, it's aesthetically identical and the fit is just as trim.

If you don't already have one, you can also open a charge account at whatever store you purchase from and get something like 10-15% off.

hpnas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Z-Zegna has one (at Bloomingdales) for $1,200. Though not as high quality, it's aesthetically identical and the fit is just as trim.

If you don't already have one, you can also open a charge account at whatever store you purchase from and get something like 10-15% off.

Think the Z-Zegna quality is lacking as compared to the RLBL Tuxedo and people were saying that even $1,200 was too high for the Z-Zegna tux

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hpnas
Think the Z-Zegna quality is lacking as compared to the RLBL Tuxedo and people were saying that even $1,200 was too high for the Z-Zegna tux

Oh, I agree that it is, and if I had the $2,200 to part with, I'd absolutely go with the RLBL. However, I've had good luck with Z suits (though I've never paid more than $400 for one, admittedly) and the fit is spot on for me.

Not that it's particularly relevant, but the Z tux is actually more "proper" in that it uses covered buttons and has not pocket flaps. I think RLBL may even have switched to a two button stance (not sure on this).

hpnas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Oh, I agree that it is, and if I had the $2,200 to part with, I'd absolutely go with the RLBL. However, I've had good luck with Z suits (though I've never paid more than $400 for one, admittedly) and the fit is spot on for me.

Not that it's particularly relevant, but the Z tux is actually more "proper" in that it uses covered buttons and has not pocket flaps. I think RLBL may even have switched to a two button stance (not sure on this).

Yes agree. I was thinking of actually have the button replaced with a covered button to be more formal. Nothing I can really do about the pocket flaps though

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In all honesty, your best bet is to have a friend start dating a Ralph Lauren employee and taking advantage of the 50% discount.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could get a custom tux for less than RLBL msrp. I think its too niche to be discounted anywhere. Having said that, if its really what you want, and its not available discounted, go for it, especially since its for your wedding. You (hopefully) only get one in your life and you'll remember it for the rest of it. Think about all the money you may have pissed away on bad meals, or nights out in the past year or so...now the $2k doesn't seem so ridiculous

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hpnas
Yes agree. I was thinking of actually have the button replaced with a covered button to be more formal. Nothing I can really do about the pocket flaps though

Pretty sure these are removable. +1 on switching out the buttons. I'm not a huge traditionalist when it comes to tuxes, but to me this is a must-do.

nyc2010

Reaction score
Where would be the best place to have something in that style custom-made in NYC? I've definitely seen threads on similar topics, but am not sure what the general consensus was.

Thanks

hpnas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
You could get a custom tux for less than RLBL msrp. I think its too niche to be discounted anywhere. Having said that, if its really what you want, and its not available discounted, go for it, especially since its for your wedding. You (hopefully) only get one in your life and you'll remember it for the rest of it. Think about all the money you may have pissed away on bad meals, or nights out in the past year or so...now the $2k doesn't seem so ridiculous

Yea agree with your point and I have many weddings coming up shortly after mine so will definitely get good use out of it.

hpnas

Reaction score
I also seemed to notice that these tuxes are nowhere online, not even in the BL section of the RL site. It seems the only place to see them is in the store. Has anyone seen them online anywhere?

heaven7

Reaction score
Woah, ticket pocket, 3 buttons, throat latch. This is madness.

hpnas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heaven7
Woah, ticket pocket, 3 buttons, throat latch. This is madness.

Haha, was about to post basically the same thing. So much wrong there

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads