1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best pizza in NYC?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Renault78law, Nov 17, 2004.

1. romafan

romafan Senior member

We had lunch out at L & B Spumoni yesterday - was OK

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Joe's on the corner?! Puh-leaze, bro. It's not even the best pizza on the block.

3. bradp

bradp Senior member

well then what is

4. StephenHero

John's, although I don't think either are in the upper echelon of pizza right now. John's might crack the top 15, but probably not. Another place a few doors down called Keste is really good, but I only had their pistachio and sausage pizza which is too esoteric to build a reputation on. They also serve some gluten free shit, which is admittedly contemptible.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last time I was at John's (at least a year ago), they were using the regular cheap pepperoni and also shredded cheese, which I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that it was mozz. I haven't been to the one in the theater district (is it still there?) in over 10 yrs. A decent pie in mid/uptown is Angelo's on 57th. The building had a coal overn in there forever so they built the pizzeria around it.

6. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

The best NY slice I've had recently was in.... Berlin (Germany). The place is called Villa di Wow. Run by a Spaniard from NYC.

7. StephenHero

Alright, I kind of take back what I said. I had a slice at Joe's last night and it was bonkers good. It has a uniquely charred crust for a regular slice. Maybe it is better than John's.

1 person likes this.
  8. bradp

bradp Senior member

Nice! I love the flavor of the sauce and level of greasiness in addition to crust texture. I actually haven't had johns but will try this week. Will report back

9. Keller

Keller Senior member

Joe┬┤s is great

10. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

John's on Bleeker str. is pretty good imo. i dont mind grated mozzarella on a NY style. Keste is very good but you can't really compare these two as they are two different things: classic NYC brick oven pizza and la vera pizza Napoletana baked in a wood fired oven.

11. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Great slice on the UWS: Sal and Carmines on B'way at 101st.

12. dmbp

dmbp Well-Known Member

This is the truth.

What's not to love about Lucali?

The ambiance is there
    The menu is direct (there is no menu. Do you want pizza, or calzones?)
    The hours are "exclusive," which to be honest is not a bad thing.
    and of course, it's BYOB.

Oh... and it's the best pizza in the city.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  13. bradp

bradp Senior member

Tried to go to lucali twice in two different years. Wasn't happening either time. If you have a job, forget about getting there early enough to get a table.

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Lucali is unquestionably in the top tier of pizza in this city, but I'd certainly not say it's the best.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the problem with places that have 2 hour waits is that the wait becomes part of the experience and the attraction, and that's clearly something that should stay in San Francisco.

16. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The wait at Lucali isn't too bad if you can go early on an off night. Luckily, we live just a couple of blocks away, so if you head home from work a bit early (or go on a holiday weekend) you can get in right when they open without too much of a problem.

Honestly, the best thing at Lucali isn't even the pizza, it's the calzones. There are easily a dozen other places in the city that make pizza just as good as Lucali's, but their calzones are out of this world. Best thing on the menu by far.

17. Beane

Beane Senior member

Any dodgy pizza place around little italy

18. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Just wrapping up a NYC jaunt. Hit up:

Joe's Pizza on Carmine in the Village. Very solid. Went with a slice of fresh mozz.
    Prince Street Pizza in Nolita. Very good. A little sweeter. Went w a slice of Sicilian style pepperoni. Had those pieces of pep that turn into tiny little grease bowls. Love those.
    Patsy's. Went to the location on the UES. Pretty darn good. Had heard a lot of people rag on it abt it becoming a chain and what not. Still a really solid pie. Standard pepperoni pie.

I have had John's, Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, Two Boots, and others on previous trips, but I must say I thought that all of the 3 I went to this time really held their own. Still haven't had the patience for Lucali yet.

19. bradp

bradp Senior member

slipped my mind to mention this a few months back upthread, but i think my favorite pizza in nyc (or at least favorite in a tie with joe's) is rose pizza at penn station. It never fails to satisfy me. had a slice at 10 am yesterday (breakfast of champions) on the way back to visit my parents on LI.