• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best pizza in NYC?

mps23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
I had Lucali's the other day... major disappointment for the two hour wait. DiFara is still king.
I agree with this assessment, but the wait at difara's is excruciating also.

sarto

Reaction score
i'd say lucali over difara. the pizza i'd say is slightly better at difara -- but waiting at difara will give you cancer -- the poor ventilation irritates my throat and makes my eyes watery. plus there is no good seating at all -- even outside around the area -- no park in midwood.

difara at least is pretty romantic -- the waitresses are cute -- and mark (the owner) is cute according to my gf and most girls. and it's BYOB.

i live about 4 blocks away from grimaldis -- which i thought was the best ever when i moved to NYC (till I went to difara and lucali) -- either way, it's amazing to eat it take-out on fulton landing -- one of the best overall eating experiences you can have -- 8/10 pizza and well, the view is priceless.

with that being said, i've heard good things from Co. Pizzeria (9th and 24th) -- lots of early hype on the food blogs. then again, the blogs kinda got it wrong with Artichoke -- whom i've heard are planning to open like 5 more little stores when they can't even iron out the kinks with the original one.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mps23
I agree with this assessment, but the wait at difara's is excruciating also.

It really wasn't the wait, as I got to explore Carroll Gardens/Brooklyn Heights (great neighborhood btw!), I just felt Lucali did not differentiate itself from the brick oven crowd in Lombardi's, Patsy's et al. The pizza at DiFara was more substantial, more toppings, and honestly, I didn't mind the substandard decor. I will also admit that the last time I went, I did not have to wait at all for my pie (Thursday evening).

sayaret

Reaction score
i'm not from nyc and don't have much experience there, but V&T's Pizza up on columbia campus, right across the street from the Cathedral of St John the Divine, is damn good

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stant62
It really wasn't the wait, as I got to explore Carroll Gardens/Brooklyn Heights (great neighborhood btw!)
There was a pretty good brick oven place on court near citibank, not sure if its still there. My favorite was nino's down by hicks (or maybe henry). Good slice, not brick oven, the other food was great. We still visit with the kids, court st pastry when we're done and then to sahdi's for middle eastern groceries.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay_1989
joes & bleeker st. pizza

I really dont get what is so great about joes. Tastes just like every other NY pizzeria pizza ive ever had

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frannie's in Park Slope makes a terrific pizza, as does La Pizza Fresca on 20th St in Manhattan.

They're both sit-down restaurants, not pizzerias, but for that kind of pie, they're really good.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
Frannie's in Park Slope makes a terrific pizza, as does La Pizza Fresca on 20th St in Manhattan.

They're both sit-down restaurants, not pizzerias, but for that kind of pie, they're really good.

Where is Frannie's? Do they have a specialty?

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flatbush Ave btwn 6th and 7th.

I've been 4 or 5 times and it was a bit inconsistent. A couple times, the pizza was really some of the best I've ever had -- up there with anyplace in NYC. Once or twice it was very good, but not outstanding, and once the crust was pretty charred and it wasn't great.

Their appetizers and other entrees are great as well.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We should probably create subcategories here...I'm sure some newer places have delicious food, but really shouldn't be compared to places like Tuttonos, DiFaras, and Grimaldis...most of the complaints I've heard about these older places, were about service and atmosphere, which can also affect how "good" you think the food is.

For me, I love the atmosphere, the waiting at DiFaras is half the fun, the experience...with no line, and everyone looking at each other to see who is next (I'm amazed fights don't break out there btw, I guess its out of respect for Dominic, but lots there are tourists, or out-of-town NYers who don't know Dom from a hole in the wall...I digress). These places have been around 50+ years, some over 100 years, and they hold on to the tradition and the way things were done back when they opened. The newer places have more creature comforts, pretty waitresses, cushy seats, organization...so in my mind should be put in a seperate category.

Just my 2 cents, don't shoot me over it.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
Flatbush Ave btwn 6th and 7th.

I've been 4 or 5 times and it was a bit inconsistent. A couple times, the pizza was really some of the best I've ever had -- up there with anyplace in NYC. Once or twice it was very good, but not outstanding, and once the crust was pretty charred and it wasn't great.

Their appetizers and other entrees are great as well.

I used to live round the corner from them...they're the place with the Jamaican Jerk Chicken Pie right?

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, it's mostly Mediterranean stuff - largely northern Italian.

sarto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
There was a pretty good brick oven place on court near citibank, not sure if its still there. My favorite was nino's down by hicks (or maybe henry). Good slice, not brick oven, the other food was great. We still visit with the kids, court st pastry when we're done and then to sahdi's for middle eastern groceries.
You might be referring to MontyQ's...dunno. I live about 3 blocks from Monty'Qs (it's on Montague sort of in front of Citibank and about a block down from Court). It's good for the lunch crowd, but that's really it. Certainly not a place you'd sit down at for dinner -- or a place I'd take out of town guests. I guess when it comes to delivery in the area, it is probably one of the better pizzas -- although I prefer Fascati's on Henry St. toward Dumbo. I'm not sure of some of the pizza places further down on Court though. There could be another Citibank down with a pizza place nearby.

sarto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
We should probably create subcategories here...I'm sure some newer places have delicious food, but really shouldn't be compared to places like Tuttonos, DiFaras, and Grimaldis...most of the complaints I've heard about these older places, were about service and atmosphere, which can also affect how "good" you think the food is. For me, I love the atmosphere, the waiting at DiFaras is half the fun, the experience...with no line, and everyone looking at each other to see who is next (I'm amazed fights don't break out there btw, I guess its out of respect for Dominic, but lots there are tourists, or out-of-town NYers who don't know Dom from a hole in the wall...I digress). These places have been around 50+ years, some over 100 years, and they hold on to the tradition and the way things were done back when they opened. The newer places have more creature comforts, pretty waitresses, cushy seats, organization...so in my mind should be put in a seperate category. Just my 2 cents, don't shoot me over it.
I've had some good experiences waiting in line at DiFara -- it's great to stumble across another fellow pizza snob and discuss other fine pizzas in NYC. And the trip for me from BK Heights kinda feels like a field trip. But yeah I agree with you. A lot of people expect phenomenal service at some of these places. Don't count on it. Just take the place for the pizza and maybe the atmosphere. Grimaldi's for instance -- I always have tourists ask me when I'm waiting in line whether the wait is worth it, or when I'm eating it on Fulton Landing. A place like Lucali or Luzzo's or UPN are what you're talking about -- they're the modern pizza places that cater to most New Yorkers. But there's still nothing quite like Grimaldi's or John's or DiFara. Gotta love the grandfathered coal ovens -- that's mainly the reason why these classic pizza places are dumps. haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads