1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Best pizza in NYC?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Renault78law, Nov 17, 2004.

1. juuceman

juuceman Senior member

yeah.. it's a good neighborhood place, not worth trekking for..

2. denimfan

denimfan Active Member

Luzzo's is really good.

3. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Didn't have much time after my meeting and just grabbed a slice off the street.

That was pretty good. Then my flight got canceled and I wound up in Brooklyn for the night and went to Grimaldis.

The ingredients were first rate and they make a damn good pie.

I'm going to shoot for Lombardi's next trip.

4. countdemoney

Had pizza at Johns on 45th. Good pie, but the best of Chicago is still better than Grimaldi's or John's. I thought John's had the better crust than Grimaldi's, but Grimaldi's ingredients were superior.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

A Neapolitan friend of mine says that he has tried most of those listed, and that only Luzzo's is worth going to. He is a picky eater, even in Naples, so others will likely find enjoyment elsewhere as well.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Had pizza at Johns on 45th. Good pie, but the best of Chicago is still better than Grimaldi's or John's. I thought John's had the better crust than Grimaldi's, but Grimaldi's ingredients were superior.

I challenge you to find an actual Italian visiting from Itlay who would identify Chicago "pizza" as being as such.

7. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

its more like a bunt cake with gravy

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Don't think I mentioned it before and that's a mistake: Lil Frankie's pizza is the sh!t

9. countdemoney

I challenge you to find an actual Italian visiting from Itlay who would identify Chicago "pizza" as being as such.

Pizza = passion, but really, I know what I like.

While you may not have had good experiences, there is a magic and majesty in the best of Chicago pizza's that the NYC pies I've tried so far can't match.

The NYC pizzas were very good, I'm feeling mighty damn happy right now after dinner at John's. But, the very best pizza I've had still comes from Chicago.

The chicago pies are much harder to turn out as consistently excellent, but when they do - well, its really freaking good. I haven't yet had the transcendent moment in NYC, but I've only had two pies here.

Chicago pizza is like sex. There's some pretty mediocre stuff that's good but akin to scratching an itch. But the WOW ones are fond memories. They're like the partner who kinda did what you were hoping they would do, but not expecting them to do.

As you can tell, CDM needs to get back from this trip to see the gf.

10. dl20

dl20 Senior member

NYC pizza is all about context. Come live in Philly and eat our "pizza," after that a slice from the nastiest joint in NYC will taste like heaven.

dl

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Ugh. I went to Lombardi's a few weeks ago and it was mediocre at best. I used to love the place, but I won't be going back unless I have to.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ugh. I went to Lombardi's a few weeks ago and it was mediocre at best. I used to love the place, but I won't be going back unless I have to.
    Mediocre is the right word to describe Lombardi's. It's one of these tourist institutions that locals don't really patronize anymore (e.g. Maxim's in Paris, etc..). It got much worse after the expansion though.

14. mockingboy

mockingboy Senior member

John's on Bleecker or Arturos at Thompson and Houston

15. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member