• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best pizza in NYC?

juuceman

Reaction score
yeah.. it's a good neighborhood place, not worth trekking for..

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't have much time after my meeting and just grabbed a slice off the street.

That was pretty good. Then my flight got canceled and I wound up in Brooklyn for the night and went to Grimaldis.

The ingredients were first rate and they make a damn good pie.

I'm going to shoot for Lombardi's next trip.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had pizza at Johns on 45th. Good pie, but the best of Chicago is still better than Grimaldi's or John's. I thought John's had the better crust than Grimaldi's, but Grimaldi's ingredients were superior.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Neapolitan friend of mine says that he has tried most of those listed, and that only Luzzo's is worth going to. He is a picky eater, even in Naples, so others will likely find enjoyment elsewhere as well.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Had pizza at Johns on 45th. Good pie, but the best of Chicago is still better than Grimaldi's or John's. I thought John's had the better crust than Grimaldi's, but Grimaldi's ingredients were superior.

I challenge you to find an actual Italian visiting from Itlay who would identify Chicago "pizza" as being as such.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its more like a bunt cake with gravy

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think I mentioned it before and that's a mistake: Lil Frankie's pizza is the sh!t

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I challenge you to find an actual Italian visiting from Itlay who would identify Chicago "pizza" as being as such.

Pizza = passion, but really, I know what I like.

While you may not have had good experiences, there is a magic and majesty in the best of Chicago pizza's that the NYC pies I've tried so far can't match.

The NYC pizzas were very good, I'm feeling mighty damn happy right now after dinner at John's. But, the very best pizza I've had still comes from Chicago.

The chicago pies are much harder to turn out as consistently excellent, but when they do - well, its really freaking good. I haven't yet had the transcendent moment in NYC, but I've only had two pies here.

Chicago pizza is like sex. There's some pretty mediocre stuff that's good but akin to scratching an itch. But the WOW ones are fond memories. They're like the partner who kinda did what you were hoping they would do, but not expecting them to do.

As you can tell, CDM needs to get back from this trip to see the gf.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYC pizza is all about context. Come live in Philly and eat our "pizza," after that a slice from the nastiest joint in NYC will taste like heaven.

dl

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
NYC pizza is all about context. Come live in Philly and eat our "pizza," after that a slice from the nastiest joint in NYC will taste like heaven.

dl

Have you tried Mara's or Tacconelli's?
confused.gif

http://cityguide.aol.com/philadelphi...nt/v-108103912

http://www.tacconellispizzeria.com/

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Ugh. I went to Lombardi's a few weeks ago and it was mediocre at best. I used to love the place, but I won't be going back unless I have to.
Mediocre is the right word to describe Lombardi's. It's one of these tourist institutions that locals don't really patronize anymore (e.g. Maxim's in Paris, etc..). It got much worse after the expansion though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads