1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best painkillers?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Stu, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

So I am laying here, in intense pain from having a torn abdominal muscle fixed today. Doc has got me all perc'd up. They work pretty well, but is there anything better in that class? He's obviously not going to give oxycon but anything else I should ask for?

2. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

For OTC, I found Aleve and Motrin to work best for me.

4. holybich

holybich Senior member

as an about-to-be-licensed pharmacy student... agree with motrin or aleve... one may work better for you than the other. by the way if going for motrin, you can take up to 600mg (3 tablets) 4 times daily. or 800mg 3 times daily.

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

What about Lortab? Any real difference from Percoset?

6. holybich

holybich Senior member

oh i didn't read about the part where you got perc. um, next step up is yeah, morphine or just straight up oxycodone.

7. holybich

holybich Senior member

lortab is less potent, so at the same milligram strength of hydrocodone to oxycodone, perc is stronger

8. legit

legit Well-Known Member

Oxymorphone or Heroin

9. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

10. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

So I am laying here, in intense pain from having a torn abdominal muscle fixed today. Doc has got me all perc'd up. They work pretty well, but is there anything better in that class? He's obviously not going to give oxycon but anything else I should ask for?

Why would he give you anything you ask for but not oxycontin?

11. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

What about Lortab? Any real difference from Percoset?

After my Achilles surgery, I found that Lortab worked better than percocet.

12. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

My Doc always recommends Two Motrin + Two Tylenol.

13. Stu

Stu Senior member

Why would he give you anything you ask for but not oxycontin?

As I understand it, oxy is pretty major league stuff. I am in a lot of pain but should be better in a day or two. I guess it's pretty much perc vs lortab

14. ektaylor

ektaylor Senior member

Percocet and Oxycontin both the same drug: Oxycodone.

Hm, so you don't end up pulling a Heath Ledger, you might want to read more.

15. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Heroin or methadone.

16. holybich

holybich Senior member

Oxycontin is oxycodone in extended-release... so that it lasts 8-12 hours. It comes in higher dosages than plain oxycodone. Plain oxycodone (brand name Roxicodone, among others) is regular-release.

Lortab is hydrocodone + acetaminophen of various combinations. Hydrocodone is only half as potent an analgesic as morphine, which when taken orally is about the same potency as oxycodone. So technically hydrocodone should always be a weaker analgesic than oxycodone at the same strength.

You're likely not going to get fentanyl unless you have cancer pain or something major. I don't know many doctors who would give methadone for your indication either.

So you are pretty much left with plain oxycodone, morphine sulfate, and hydromorphone.

17. holybich

holybich Senior member

weaker stuff than abovementioned: codeine, tramadol, pentazocine, propoxyphene.

meperidine is definitely not commonly prescribed. neither is butorphanol. tapentadol is new and fairly expensive. buprenorphine is also not the first thing prescribed for pain.

ketorolac is not in the same class but I can't imagine it being given for your indication.

those are pretty much your options.

I personally am against taking medications of any sort. Guess I chose the wrong profession.

18. Stu

Stu Senior member

weaker stuff than abovementioned: codeine, tramadol, pentazocine, propoxyphene.

meperidine is definitely not commonly prescribed. neither is butorphanol. tapentadol is new and fairly expensive. buprenorphine is also not the first thing prescribed for pain.

ketorolac is not in the same class but I can't imagine it being given for your indication.

those are pretty much your options.

I personally am against taking medications of any sort. Guess I chose the wrong profession.

Normally I am against it too, but in my current state am very much in favor.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Since it's muscular, why not adjunct the percocet with Flexeril - a muscle relaxer. Otherwise, why don't you try, like others have mentioned, a combination of the percocet with ibuprofen or naproxyn.

20. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

Indomethacin works...

In alternative medicine, there is a type of seed that when placed on sensitive pressure points in your ear, can provide pain relief.