• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best oxfords under or around $100

xkhol

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything. I just got a job and now need some black oxfords, but can't really afford anything significantly over $100 yet. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I seriously needed new shoes at $100 a pair I'd get Bates uniform shoes.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up2down
Bostonian - Great shoe for $115.00 In my opinion it's a $200.00 shoe..
Yikes...corrected grain leather...glued on rubber sole...I know budgets can be tight, but in my honest opinion (having worn Bostonian, Florsheim, and other brands) you're wasting your money. Those shoes will fall apart after about a year of regular wear. Even Loake's L1 line, which is corrected grain but properly leather-soled, would be a better buy for you. You can get a pair online for just under 80 GBP: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/1973.php I bought a pair of these when I was still learning the ropes here, and they are basically beaters now. But they have been going strong for almost 5 years of regular wear - no resoling, just the occasional polishing. I wouldn't buy them now, but if you're tight, you could do a hell of a lot worse. Contact Allen Edmonds' Shoe Bank, and you could get yourself a pair of calf leather dress shoes (seconds or discontinued lines) for anywhere from $80-$170. Much, much better product, and you'll enjoy wearing them. Or ask around and you will be surprised at the deals here.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look for Allen Edmonds thirds.

ESPNHD

Reaction score
Cole Haan shoes are pretty weak in general, but sometimes they go on sale for like $120. You really should get an extra $50 together and spend a little more, $100 is bottom barrel.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
Yikes...corrected grain leather...glued on rubber sole...I know budgets can be tight, but in my honest opinion (having worn Bostonian, Florsheim, and other brands) you're wasting your money. Those shoes will fall apart after about a year of regular wear.

Even Loake's L1 line, which is corrected grain but properly leather-soled, would be a better buy for you. You can get a pair online for just under 80 GBP:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/1973.php

I bought a pair of these when I was still learning the ropes here, and they are basically beaters now. But they have been going strong for almost 5 years of regular wear - no resoling, just the occasional polishing. I wouldn't buy them now, but if you're tight, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

Contact Allen Edmonds' Shoe Bank, and you could get yourself a pair of calf leather dress shoes (seconds or discontinued lines) for anywhere from $80-$170. Much, much better product, and you'll enjoy wearing them.

Or ask around and you will be surprised at the deals here.

I have to concur with Geoff here, if you really shop around looking for a shrewd deal you can pick up a pair of Allen Edmonds in the price range you're looking for. Or, if you can't come across a deal then do like people used to do long, long ago and save up your money until you have the cash to buy what you want.

Look at buying a pair of shoes as an investment. The return that you get will be value for your money. A pair of AEs will last much longer than a typical pair of cheap $100 shoes. My father always taught me, there are two things you don't skimp on: your bed and your shoes, because you spend almost your entire life in one or the other.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dress shoes at sears for $40.

yes they are CG and glued, but so are the $100 recommendations here.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
My father has a pair of Rockport oxfords that he has been wearing to church every Sunday for at least 5 years. They seem to be holding up okay, though of course wearing the same shoe every day will destroy them because of foot perspiration.

Clarks has a few styles that might be appropriate. The couple pairs I've gone through lately have held up pretty well, though they are not nearly as well constructed as the old Made in England Clarks were. The thing I like about Clarks (found on sale for $50-80) is that for my feet they are super comfortable. (They are basically sneakers that look like dress/casual shoes.)

Even cheap shoes will benefit from a set of cedar shoe trees and a regular cleaning/conditioning/polishing regime. I know that $20 for trees + $15 for wax, conditioner and brushes adds toward your $100, but it will make those shoes last longer and maximize your value.

Pay attention to fit and comfort. Better a "cheap" shoe that fits than a better name on deep discount that doesn't fit but you bought because of the reputation and price.

Troilus

Reaction score
If you're comfortable with the Buying & Selling forum, you can grab something great there. Refurbished Allen Edmonds are constantly on sale there for under $100.

My under $100 shoe used to be Johnston & Murphy. I still use them for poor weather days.

GBer

Reaction score
Yikes...corrected grain leather...glued on rubber sole...I know budgets can be tight, but in my honest opinion (having worn Bostonian, Florsheim, and other brands) you're wasting your money. Those shoes will fall apart after about a year of regular wear.

Even Loake's L1 line, which is corrected grain but properly leather-soled, would be a better buy for you. You can get a pair online for just under 80 GBP:

I bought a pair of these when I was still learning the ropes here, and they are basically beaters now. But they have been going strong for almost 5 years of regular wear - no resoling, just the occasional polishing. I wouldn't buy them now, but if you're tight, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

Contact Allen Edmonds' Shoe Bank, and you could get yourself a pair of calf leather dress shoes (seconds or discontinued lines) for anywhere from $80-$170. Much, much better product, and you'll enjoy wearing them.

+1 the cheaper glued shoes really do fall apart quickly with regular wear. His recommendation for AE is good. Would also recommend you add more shoes to your "rotation" in the future so they don't all wear out so quickly.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Troilus
If you're comfortable with the Buying & Selling forum, you can grab something great there. Refurbished Allen Edmonds are constantly on sale there for under $100.

My under $100 shoe used to be Johnston & Murphy. I still use them for poor weather days.

+1 on Johnston and Murphy. Quality aside, they are the best looking shoe in that range. I was browsing through the new GQ and they had a picture of about 10 different cap toes together. J&M didn't look out of place at all.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+2 on J&M. Go look on Ebay. If you're ok with something that's been worn a few times, then you can get more than 1 pair for some variety. (eg: wingtip) Look here: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?US%2520S...526%2520Murphy There's absolutely no reason for a young kid with no money to spend more than $100 on shoes, esp. if you go overstock/lightly used. Particularly in plain black. A $100 pair looks no different than a $500 pair. Focus on your career, and not on pretending you're wealthy. There are many "broke gentlemen" on SF. Don't be one of them.

1up2down

Reaction score

Oops.. Agreed. I posted the wrong pair. There is a pair of Bostonians that do have leather soles. A better she than this model...

I usually only spend a couple hundred on shoes, not "hundreds".. But a while back I needed a quick pair of shoes and bought a pair of Bostonians at Macy's and at the very moment they are being resoled for the second time! The uppers are still in excellent shape. I take care of them and they are great shoe for the money...

However, I must say I like these Pediwear shoes..!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads