• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best oxford cotton fabric (Reasonably priced)

klebisking

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering...

what's a good and reasonably priced fabric brand that produces an oxford or royal oxford cotton fabric of 100/2 or 120/2 with moderate to heavy thickness and is of a decent quality?

EDIT: SORRY BUT I JUST REALIZED MY DESIRED FABRIC- I NEED A FABRIC THAT IS HEAVY YET SOFT TO TOUCH. WOULD PINPOINT OXFORD COTTONS BE THE BEST BALANCED OPTION?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I buy mine from Acorn in the UK.

100s or 120s is way too fine for regular ol'oxford. I think its typically 40s or 50s.

Not sure on Royal Oxford, as I'm not a fan.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oxford and "royal" oxford are different animals. Royal oxfords are an elaborate weave and they're available everywhere. As far as classic oxfords go, Acorn's already been mentioned. It's very soft but a little thin compared to the Brooks Brothers standard. Philips Boyne also sells a regular oxford ("cambridge oxford") that is heavier and a little stiffer, but it softens up over time. Philips Boyne's plain whites aren't an "optic" white, though. After a couple washes mine ended up looking very dingy, though the blue is really nice if you want an unlined, brooks-brothers-style OCBD.

klebisking

Reaction score
so from what i gather, Acorn 100, 120s are not the fabrics to look for when i want some thickness and weight in the oxfords? Besides BB and Philips Boyne, what other Fabric manufacturers akin to Acorn produce a reasonably priced oxford fabric with a good weight yet not sacrificing on its quality.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If want Acorn pricing it will be hard. Other manuf. are more expensive. Have you tried local shops? NY has American Sember and Tip Top. Not sure where you are located.

klebisking

Reaction score
Sorry But I Just Realized My Desired Fabric- I Need A Fabric That Is Heavy Yet Soft To Touch. Would Pinpoint Oxford Cottons Be The Best Balanced Option?

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try twills and stay in the low counts 100's and 120's as others have mentioned. Best to go and feel the fabric in person. You might be surprised as to what you like and dont like.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by klebisking
Sorry But I Just Realized My Desired Fabric- I Need A Fabric That Is Heavy Yet Soft To Touch. Would Pinpoint Oxford Cottons Be The Best Balanced Option?

Uh... Those are almost mutually exclusive.

Try LE Hyde Park. Pinpoints are not normally thick. Neither are royals from what I've seen. Propercloth has a really thick oxford, but I'm not sure if its soft enough for you. But if thick is your first concern, then LandsEnd and Propercloth are the thickest I've personally found.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka